Tripods for HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 7th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1
New Boot

Tripods for HD100?

Hi Guys -

What's a good inexpensive tripod for the HD100 w/AB battery pack? I believe with battery pack the camera is going to weight about 12 pounds...is that right?

I'd really like a great tripod at about $200. Suggestions? Thanks for all of the info.
Richard Osuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Paste this link into your browser.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #3
2nd Unit TV

While I don't want to dissuade you from making your own decision, I wanted you to think about the ramifications of your decision to go cheap on such an important piece of equipment. The tripod is the very basis of virtually all shooting including the so-called 'hand-held' style so prevalent in today's reality shows. The fact of the matter is that much of the hand hold look is effected through the innovative grip use of a tripod so that the sweeps are consistent but the angle is unconventional. The tripod and it's fluid head are a staple of the craft and really shouldn't be an afterthought. Just my humble opinion.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Jonathan is quite right. This is a heavier camera as well. You need something you know will be able to balance with it. I have the Sachtler DV-1 and while it was great for my FX-1, it can't handle the HD100's "wide load" with the pro batt. Of course the tripod is only rated up to 4.4 pounds.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

If you go with a cheaper brand, it would probably be best to try it out first. Also know what you'll be missing. One thing that's great about the Sachtler brand is that you can set the resistance to low or none so it can be very loose to accomplish that "searching" spontaneous look and yet be smooth.

I now have my eyes on these choices:

The Bogens are far less expensive than the rest. Lots of options on legs too. How do they rate in smoothness and longevity?
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #5
New Boot

Yeah, don't skimp on the tripod. Especially if you do any long-lens work. I have a full-sized tripod for the big camera but I got a Miller SoloDV 20 to use with a DVX-100. It is about $1400 but ultra light, spreader-less legs, and very sturdy. I am even able to support the 17 pound Ikegami on it. In fact I find myself using it more and more with the big camera especially when I need to hike in somewhere. I'm sure the Miller would work great with the JVC. I know this doesn't really help the original poster, but I am very leery of cheap tripods....

Chris Pyle
Chris Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I also use the Miller Solo DV carbon fiber sticks; great, stable and lightweight sticks, good for carrying long distance. I put a Sachtler DV6SB head on it though. The DV6 is the minimum I would use for the HD100; the DV4 is a little light. Problem with anything bigger, you may not get the right spring balance you need. I have a Sachtler 20 I used to use for my HDCAM, but even at the lowest balance setting the JVC is too light and the tripod head brings the camera back to level.

My two cents.

Gary Morris McBeath
SaltAire Cinema Productions
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #7
2nd Unit TV

Actually, Chris, your posts do help the poster by giving him or her sage advice to think about. And when posters are able to hear things from different directions from alot of us who agree..or don't sometimes, the argument upon which the advice is given benefits the poster considerably and it gives them confidence when making thier own decision. At least that's how it is for me which is why no matter how long or busy the days are, I try to make time for Chris' board here to read or sometimes comment when I think it might help.
J
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks everyone...some real usable advice. I appreciate all of your input.
Richard Osuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #9
Major Player

Not to beat a dead horse but I just wanted to say that I also agree with what the others have said. One of the "craft" aspects of camera operating that I have always respected is the perfectedly executed camera move--a smooth as silk ramp up from zero velocity to a pan and/or tilt and a ramp down back to zero velocity, all with with perfectly targeted end-framing. Of course, this takes great skill and practice but in this case the equipment also really matters. Even a good camera operator probably can't make a really bad fluid head look good.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Richard - Since low cost is important to you, please look at this tripod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROFESSIONAL-VID...QQcmdZViewItem

There is no reserve on their auctions and they put one up for auction every day. To buy this directly from their website it would cost you $2000.00: http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...roduct_id=2580

Being the curious guy that I am, I actually was able to get one from Ebay for only a few hundred dollars. I have to say for the price I'm very impressed with this tripod. From my experieince with professional tripods this competes with the 2K-3K tripods. It has plenty of support for the HD100.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #11
Major Player

Tim, that looks like a really nice tripod for the $$. However I can't seem to find any reviews on it anywhere. Is it new? The model number is not even used on these forums. Is the head similar to the Bogen 501? Thanks.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

This is their newer head which has more controls for dampning, etc. You can see the reviews on the other model which is the same but with a less sophisticated head: http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/index....roduct_id=1846

Seriously though, the HD100 is too heavy for a DV tripod. If you use something cheap and light then you might as well go hand held.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Major Player

I purchased a Libec LS-55 for my HD100 and have been very happy with it. It was $740 at Texas Tapeworks. B&H wanted $800.

I use a Miller Solo DV 10 with the Z1 that I shoot with at my office. It is great when I travel around the world because of it's size when it folds down and also it's weight. The head is not the greatest and the legs take a little longer to set up, but it is solid and lightweight.

I haven't tried my HD100 on the Miller, but plan to do so when I get back from home. (Writing this from the lobby of my hotel in Paris).

I would think that with a better head, the Mill Solo legs would work well for the HD100.

Give the Libec a look though. For the money it is a good tripod, but at 12lbs I wouldn't want to travel much with it.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems