JVC HD 100 and New Al Gore Movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 11th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC HD 100 and New Al Gore Movie

Just stumbled across this on the net - in a nutshell the Director of the new Al Gore film An Inconvenient Truth, Davis Guggenheim had some very nice things to say about the JVC GY-HD100. Here is an excerpt (I hope it's o.k. to post this here, if not please nuke it or let me know - thanks)

Director Davis Guggenheim

"Yeah. There were a lot of formatting issues. This new JVC camera [the HD-GY100U] is fantastic. We shot a scene with these Chinese scientists, and it was fascinating. Because it was such a discreet meeting and happened so quickly, and done very secretly, I shot one side of the meeting with 16mm and the other side with this JVC 24p camera. It’s in the film and they intercut without a bump. You don’t know the difference. That’s very exciting – but the camera was so new that we had real trouble finding a way to actually reformat the tapes and get them into the Avid because it’s a special type of 24p. I love that camera. To be able to bring a camera in my bag and be alone on an airplane at three in the morning — where somebody would tell you turn it off but everyone’s asleep — and be able to shoot this stuff of Al working at 3 a.m. on a plane flying over the North Pole to go to China, that’s pretty incredible. But it was a big job for the editing assistants. They were always scratching their heads trying to figure out how to put it all together."
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

congrats/ Gung xi !

I m glad to read ur post.
i have to admit -- i like Al and his podcasting channel.

back to the camera. i did the same in tokyo with 101E and it's a bit hard for me to shoot candid, but it;'s a matter of luck. the only thing i don;t like is too long when u attached the lens to camera.

I think avid support to 24p is not there yet.and i personally rather use images sequences to do editing work. as many may say why it's huge ? but the mac and pc /software issue can be solved easily.

also i prefer 25P than 24p as i like to do final conversion to 24p if i need and a 4.1% pitching in sound.

wish to know about the dynamic range as i m using paolo's TC v3 , which is very good. good as a source to output to 35mm not as a film look cine gamma.

JY
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems