DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Cases for your HD100U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/69372-cases-your-hd100u.html)

Jason Knoll June 12th, 2006 02:28 AM

Cases for your HD100U

I am planning on picking up a GY-HD100U in the next week or two. I have been shopping around for cases, and I am not sure what I want to get. I am leaning towards a Pelican 1600 case, or the portabrace bag. What do all of you 100U owners store your camera in? Does anyone have recommendations?

Fabrizio Sciarra June 12th, 2006 02:45 AM

Hi Jason, i personally own a PB ctc 3 which is just perfect for the jvc 100 with a MB and battery kit on it. For what i do is great; high quality material; somebody uses a pelikan, which is tough and good as well, it really depends what you have to put inside, if only the camera or accessories as well.
enjoy your shopping

Tim Holtermann June 12th, 2006 12:02 PM

I discoverd this new bag at NAB and thought it was great. It is wider on one end to allow for a matte box fitted JVC HD100 to just drop in. I pre-ordered it at NAB and it's still on the way.

Have a look: http://www.16x9inc.com/cgibin/eDatCa...alogno=16X9-CB

Greg Bellotte June 12th, 2006 08:58 PM

I use the PortaBrace CTC-3 for everyday toting. If I have to ship it anywhere, it goes in the JVC CB-100, custom fit thermodyne case made just for the HD100. Both options are great.

Joel Aaron June 12th, 2006 09:08 PM

The Kata BP-502 Camcorder Backpack with trolley is worth looking at. I have it. It's bigger than I thought - plenty of room. That thing is built like a tank. Seems like rugged outdoor grade, for nature guys who will be packing in for a week or two... but it's still easy to wheel around. $199 at BHphoto after it's in your shopping cart. Even comes with a rain cover for the case. Not bad.

Jay Yellamaty June 13th, 2006 08:16 AM

I tried many brands before settling on the Petrol bag made specifically for the HD 100. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at and well made and will fit in the overhead on most aircraft. not too much room for accessories except for a couple of IDXs and a few tapes. Cost about $ 225 at B&H.

Jay

Tim Dashwood June 13th, 2006 08:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
JVC Canada manufactures and sells a bag specifically for the HD100. I'm not sure if U.S. customers can purchase it via local dealers or maybe you need to contact a Canadian dealer.

I've attached a couple photos. The camera in the picture only had the stock lens with an AB mount and battery, but there is enough room for the 13x3.5 lens with AB or IDX battery attached. The one pocket on the front holds the quick release plate and the other is good for accessories, matte box, etc. There is an additional pocket inside for accessories, a clear spot on the front for your business card and slots on the back for instruction manuals, etc.

I originally bought the Pelican 1600 for compact shipping of the camera, and it seems to work well. I've attached a photo of my foam configuration.

K. Forman June 13th, 2006 08:33 AM

How much did that set you back Tim?

Tim Holtermann June 13th, 2006 11:02 AM

I should point out that the bag I got from 16x9 is made by Petrol. It seems Petrol has been sold off many times and is all part of the Band Pro parent company who owns 16x9.

Antony Michael Wilson June 13th, 2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
The Kata BP-502 Camcorder Backpack with trolley is worth looking at. I have it. It's bigger than I thought - plenty of room. That thing is built like a tank. Seems like rugged outdoor grade, for nature guys who will be packing in for a week or two... but it's still easy to wheel around. $199 at BHphoto after it's in your shopping cart. Even comes with a rain cover for the case. Not bad.

Joel, do you find there is adequate protection for the viewfinder?

Joel Aaron June 13th, 2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson
Joel, do you find there is adequate protection for the viewfinder?

Yes, I actually take the viewfinder off but (while still plugged in) and drop it in it's own compartment. You could leave it on but it's just a tighter fit. There's a "turtle shell" semi-hard cover that's very firm to give extra protection to the front half of the camera. You can see it in the pictures.

It's not as indestructable as a Pelican, but it's rugged. It should work as a carry on for a flight, but I haven't tried that yet.

Tim Dashwood June 13th, 2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
How much did that set you back Tim?

The JVC bag is $349 Canadian. I think the Pelican 1600 was under $300 on sale.

Joe Bowey June 13th, 2006 04:13 PM

Tim I noticed a tripod plate in your pelican photo. Is it worth buying?

Burk Webb June 13th, 2006 05:16 PM

I've been using a kata ccc-10 bag - the cam and anton bauer battery fit fine with room inside for some odds and ends. Also has two external pockets for more batteries and gack, good quality bag.

Antony Michael Wilson June 13th, 2006 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
Yes, I actually take the viewfinder off but (while still plugged in) and drop it in it's own compartment. You could leave it on but it's just a tighter fit. There's a "turtle shell" semi-hard cover that's very firm to give extra protection to the front half of the camera. You can see it in the pictures.

It's not as indestructable as a Pelican, but it's rugged. It should work as a carry on for a flight, but I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks Joel. I have been looking at the Petrol PCBP-3. It's a bit big but should be good for the complete kit and a decent tripod. It also has a special viewfinder pod thingy.

Petrol tell me that they will release a backback specifically for the HD100 at IBC in September.