Cases for your HD100U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 12th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Cases for your HD100U

I am planning on picking up a GY-HD100U in the next week or two. I have been shopping around for cases, and I am not sure what I want to get. I am leaning towards a Pelican 1600 case, or the portabrace bag. What do all of you 100U owners store your camera in? Does anyone have recommendations?
Jason Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi Jason, i personally own a PB ctc 3 which is just perfect for the jvc 100 with a MB and battery kit on it. For what i do is great; high quality material; somebody uses a pelikan, which is tough and good as well, it really depends what you have to put inside, if only the camera or accessories as well.
enjoy your shopping
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I discoverd this new bag at NAB and thought it was great. It is wider on one end to allow for a matte box fitted JVC HD100 to just drop in. I pre-ordered it at NAB and it's still on the way.

Have a look: http://www.16x9inc.com/cgibin/eDatCa...alogno=16X9-CB
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Major Player

I use the PortaBrace CTC-3 for everyday toting. If I have to ship it anywhere, it goes in the JVC CB-100, custom fit thermodyne case made just for the HD100. Both options are great.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Major Player

The Kata BP-502 Camcorder Backpack with trolley is worth looking at. I have it. It's bigger than I thought - plenty of room. That thing is built like a tank. Seems like rugged outdoor grade, for nature guys who will be packing in for a week or two... but it's still easy to wheel around. $199 at BHphoto after it's in your shopping cart. Even comes with a rain cover for the case. Not bad.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I tried many brands before settling on the Petrol bag made specifically for the HD 100. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at and well made and will fit in the overhead on most aircraft. not too much room for accessories except for a couple of IDXs and a few tapes. Cost about $ 225 at B&H.

Jay
Jay Yellamaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #7
Wrangler

JVC Canada manufactures and sells a bag specifically for the HD100. I'm not sure if U.S. customers can purchase it via local dealers or maybe you need to contact a Canadian dealer.

I've attached a couple photos. The camera in the picture only had the stock lens with an AB mount and battery, but there is enough room for the 13x3.5 lens with AB or IDX battery attached. The one pocket on the front holds the quick release plate and the other is good for accessories, matte box, etc. There is an additional pocket inside for accessories, a clear spot on the front for your business card and slots on the back for instruction manuals, etc.

I originally bought the Pelican 1600 for compact shipping of the camera, and it seems to work well. I've attached a photo of my foam configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Cases for your HD100U-case2.jpg   Cases for your HD100U-case1.jpg  

Cases for your HD100U-pelican-1600.jpg  
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

How much did that set you back Tim?
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I should point out that the bag I got from 16x9 is made by Petrol. It seems Petrol has been sold off many times and is all part of the Band Pro parent company who owns 16x9.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
The Kata BP-502 Camcorder Backpack with trolley is worth looking at. I have it. It's bigger than I thought - plenty of room. That thing is built like a tank. Seems like rugged outdoor grade, for nature guys who will be packing in for a week or two... but it's still easy to wheel around. $199 at BHphoto after it's in your shopping cart. Even comes with a rain cover for the case. Not bad.

Joel, do you find there is adequate protection for the viewfinder?
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson
Joel, do you find there is adequate protection for the viewfinder?
Yes, I actually take the viewfinder off but (while still plugged in) and drop it in it's own compartment. You could leave it on but it's just a tighter fit. There's a "turtle shell" semi-hard cover that's very firm to give extra protection to the front half of the camera. You can see it in the pictures.

It's not as indestructable as a Pelican, but it's rugged. It should work as a carry on for a flight, but I haven't tried that yet.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
How much did that set you back Tim?
The JVC bag is $349 Canadian. I think the Pelican 1600 was under $300 on sale.
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Tim I noticed a tripod plate in your pelican photo. Is it worth buying?
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #14
Major Player

I've been using a kata ccc-10 bag - the cam and anton bauer battery fit fine with room inside for some odds and ends. Also has two external pockets for more batteries and gack, good quality bag.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
Yes, I actually take the viewfinder off but (while still plugged in) and drop it in it's own compartment. You could leave it on but it's just a tighter fit. There's a "turtle shell" semi-hard cover that's very firm to give extra protection to the front half of the camera. You can see it in the pictures.

It's not as indestructable as a Pelican, but it's rugged. It should work as a carry on for a flight, but I haven't tried that yet.
Thanks Joel. I have been looking at the Petrol PCBP-3. It's a bit big but should be good for the complete kit and a decent tripod. It also has a special viewfinder pod thingy.

Petrol tell me that they will release a backback specifically for the HD100 at IBC in September.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems