Need a quick answer- please? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 13th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #1
Capt. Quirk

Need a quick answer- please?

I'm looking at a Serious Black Magic Decklink HD Pro with a single link. It's currently $630, and the auction ends in about 3 hours. I'd like to know if the RS-422 control will work with the BR50 deck, and if there are any issues between Decklink and the HD100.

Many thanks.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I'm looking at a Serious Black Magic Decklink HD Pro with a single link. It's currently $630, and the auction ends in about 3 hours. I'd like to know if the RS-422 control will work with the BR50 deck, and if there are any issues between Decklink and the HD100.

Many thanks.
The RS-422 control works very well with the BR50. I've found that you just need to set it to TYPE7 in the BR50 menu. I've created custom deck configurations in FCP5 to capture 24P TC. It is usually accurate, but sometimes +-1 frame out.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Cool, and thanks very much Tim. I'm in need of a new capture card, and couldn't decide which route to go. This is a new Decklink for a decent price... at the moment. That helps sway me. By the way, I'll be getting Premiere Pro2 to edit with.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
By the way, I'll be getting Premiere Pro2 to edit with.
Oh... Well then things might be completely different. You should get some more advice from a Premiere user.
FCP is very versatile and easy to configure for any deck, but I'm not sure how well Premiere handles deck control and 24P timecode.

I just checked adobe's site for "in-depth" information on third party cards and decks, and the HD50 is not listed?
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I'm not sure how well I'll handle 24p either, and will likely spend most of the time doing either 30 or 60. This is a big jump into a different pond for me!
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood

I just checked adobe's site for "in-depth" information on third party cards and decks, and the HD50 is not listed?
Although we use the deck with PPro 2, both 30P and 24P works fine for us straight digitizing... I however do not have a decklink card so no RS-422 control has been tried here.

Can some explain the advantage of using the Decklink Pro HD card... unless capturing straight from the camera during a shoot (say for green/blue screen shooting, etc.)? Ingesting through the card after recording to tape defeats the purpose does it not? What am I missing here?
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Can some explain the advantage of using the Decklink Pro HD card...
At the moment I'm using the Decklink with the BR50 to improve my post workflow with traditional offline/online method.

I can capture loads of my 24P material in offline quality with visual TC and 24P TC for the EDL. This works well for me because I don't have to capture in HDV or uncompressed until the offline is approved and the online can proceed.
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
I'm looking at a Serious Black Magic Decklink HD Pro with a single link.
Just so there's no confusion for people new to these products, Serious Magic and Blackmagicdesign are two different companies. The card being discussed is at http://blackmagic-design.com/
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

I knew it had something to do with magic... Either way you call it, I think this is the card for me, even if I did lose the auction. There are others coming up soon, so it's time to practice my sniping skills ;)

Oh, and I am one of those people that are new to this. Does it show?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems