I've Decided To Keep My JVC-HD100, But Have A Question About DR-HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 14th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Major Player

I've Decided To Keep My JVC-HD100, But Have A Question About DR-HD100

I have been thinking about selling it and buying a HVX200. Thankfully I had a quick shoot for the FX Comedy Promo, and now would not trade the camera for a HVX. I cannot afford an external monitor for focus, and the JVC Focus Assist was so accurate I cannot give up this feature. Also HDV Native Editing in FCP (720/30P) is great, and I had no problems other than having to render basic transitions which really didn't bother me. Why should I care if someone else bashes HDV when I have no problem with it? The shots themselves look great, but I still want a Direct-To-Edit option. I also do not want to constantly wear the heads down on the camera, and the BR-HD50 is too expensive.

I want to get a DR-HD100 because of the workflow, but I am a FCP user currently. I know that the FCP update will support the 24P, but Focus hasn't given me a direct answer on whether or not a Firmware update will allow 24P to be wrapped in a .MOV file so FCP can edit.

So at this point, say I get the DR-HD100. Say I shoot HDV 720/24P. The file encoded is in 60FPS. On Windows, what Editing platforms can remove the pulldown and support the file upon import (If Any).

Say Apple finally releases the FCP the update and I can capture 720/24P from the HD100. Until Focus also gets their act together, can the DR-HD100 act as a Firewire device and play the clips so that FCP can capture them?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
I have been thinking about selling it and buying a HVX200. Thankfully I had a quick shoot for the FX Comedy Promo, and now would not trade the camera for a HVX. I cannot afford an external monitor for focus, and the JVC Focus Assist was so accurate I cannot give up this feature. Also HDV Native Editing in FCP (720/30P) is great, and I had no problems other than having to render basic transitions which really didn't bother me. Why should I care if someone else bashes HDV when I have no problem with it? The shots themselves look great, but I still want a Direct-To-Edit option. I also do not want to constantly wear the heads down on the camera, and the BR-HD50 is too expensive.

I want to get a DR-HD100 because of the workflow, but I am a FCP user currently. I know that the FCP update will support the 24P, but Focus hasn't given me a direct answer on whether or not a Firmware update will allow 24P to be wrapped in a .MOV file so FCP can edit.

So at this point, say I get the DR-HD100. Say I shoot HDV 720/24P. The file encoded is in 60FPS. On Windows, what Editing platforms can remove the pulldown and support the file upon import (If Any).

Say Apple finally releases the FCP the update and I can capture 720/24P from the HD100. Until Focus also gets their act together, can the DR-HD100 act as a Firewire device and play the clips so that FCP can capture them?
I have the DR-Hd100 and cannot get it to work with HD Express. I am not sure about FCP. I have e-mail focus asking if there will be a Quick-time update, but have not heard from them yet.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
I have the DR-Hd100 and cannot get it to work with HD Express. I am not sure about FCP. I have e-mail focus asking if there will be a Quick-time update, but have not heard from them yet.
They said in about a month, but that was a month ago...I do not think it will work with Final Cut Express HD, because doesn't FCE only work in the AIC format? I don't think it can edit HDV Natively?

EDIT: From Focus:

Yes, I did see the version of FCP supporting 720/24p. Hopefully it will be shipping soon. DR-HD100/FS-4Pro HD QuickTime HDV support is expected by the end of this month.

Hope that helps,

Matt McEwe
Old June 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:

So at this point, say I get the DR-HD100. Say I shoot HDV 720/24P. The file encoded is in 60FPS. On Windows, what Editing platforms can remove the pulldown and support the file upon import (If Any)?

Does anyone know the answer to these questions.
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #5
2nd Unit TV

I can't answer the second Apple questin but as to the first, Premiere/Matrox Axio, I believe, does this. Please Give Jon Ohannis a call at NLE Systems in Glendale, CA http://www.nlesystems.com/. His extension is 112. Tell him I asked you to call him and he'll give you the straight scoop. He's an authorized FCP dealer as well so his guidance is unbiased.
Jonathan
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I just received word from focus that an update was available for $39.00. It was supposed to be on their website last night, but it is not, and it's not there yet today.

Through e-mail, they gave me no indication that it would not work with FC HD express.

i hope the update/upgrade will be available today.
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
I just received word from focus that an update was available for $39.00. It was supposed to be on their website last night, but it is not, and it's not there yet today.

Through e-mail, they gave me no indication that it would not work with FC HD express.

i hope the update/upgrade will be available today.
The thing with Final Cut Express is that there is no Easy Setup for HDV 720/30P is there? I believe it only supports HDV - AIC - 720/30P and I do not think the Firestore has the power to convert the footage into AIC on the fly.
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
The thing with Final Cut Express is that there is no Easy Setup for HDV 720/30P is there? I believe it only supports HDV - AIC - 720/30P and I do not think the Firestore has the power to convert the footage into AIC on the fly.
I believe there is. Under easy set-up there is a sellection for 720/30P. I just captured fottage from tape, but I am not sure without the upgrade if it will capture from the DTE.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I believe there is. Under easy set-up there is a sellection for 720/30P. I just captured fottage from tape, but I am not sure without the upgrade if it will capture from the DTE.
Oh...I really didn't think FCE could edit HDV natively
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems