Z1u vs. HD100u - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 15th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #16
Major Player

I know Scott has already decided, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02 since I own the HD100 and an FX1 and I do weddings.

The following applies only to event video:
When shooting with the HD100, what I miss most about shooting with the FX1 is the STEADYSHOT. I know some people are purists and want their lenses straight, but the steadiness of the shots I could get with the FX1 at 55mm (full tele) are far superior than with the HD100 on my shoulder as steady as I can hold it (also at 55mm). I don't own a shoulder rest for the FX1, but can easily brace it against my arm/shoulder/jaw to get a very steady shot. My clients sometimes ask how I can hold it so still. It wasn't totally me, it was partly the camera. This goes for wide shots too. I can much more easily perform short pseudo dolly shots with the FX1 as the steadyshot assists.

I don’t miss the auto focus as much as I thought I did. Turns out I miss less shots due to waiting for it to “get it right” just by automatically doing myself in < 2seconds.

The wide angle of the FX1 is sooo much better than the HD100 stock lens. Very helpful for roaming around the dance floor at the reception.

Finally, the FX1 does seem better in low light. The Sony at 15db gain is about equal to the JVC at 9db in sensitivity, but the Sony is far cleaner of an image at that level. The JVC is noisier overall (about equal at 0db to the Sony at 6 or 9db).

For any other application –Narrative film, promotional video, training video, etc. I much prefer the JVC on all accounts (picture, ergonomics, progressive feel). There is something to be said for looks as well. No one ever came up to me on the street with my FX1 and asked what channel I was with!

Basically, they’re both really great cameras for different applications. I’m happy to have both in my toolkit and often switch off at weddings since I can calibrate them to look similar and shoot at SD60i anyway. When I make the jump to HD weddings, I’ll probably downconvert the 1080i signal to 720p in order to keep the benefits of the Sony.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #17
Major Player

JVC Battery Concern: I really don't get this now especially. First, the stock battery is bad, but who doesn't buy extra batteries anyway?

Second, right now if you buy a HD100, you get a free 5 Hour Anton Bauer setup.

Third, Batteries for Broadcast has cheep versions that fit on either the IDX or Anton Bauer mounts.

Once again, if you want a strict video look, get the SONY. Even for weddings, don't you want more than professional looking video? I love the look of 30P much better than 60i. Something to think about.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems