DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Did I just find a new recording option on HD100??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/69998-did-i-just-find-new-recording-option-hd100.html)

Kelly Ziolkoski June 21st, 2006 07:03 PM

Did I just find a new recording option on HD100???

Hey cats,

I just discovered that I can record in a format called HDV-SD60P.

???

This is new to me.
Does it mean that I can record HD footage with a Live at Five video look in addition to 24p HD??

Kellly

Steve Benner June 21st, 2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Ziolkoski
Hey cats,

I just discovered that I can record in a format called HDV-SD60P.

???

This is new to me.
Does it mean that I can record HD footage with a Live at Five video look in addition to 24p HD??

Kellly

This is not hidden from the people here, but it is a lesser known function of the HD100. It also can shoot SD-50. Both can be used in SD for Undercranking or Upconverted nicely to HD.

Kelly Ziolkoski June 21st, 2006 07:27 PM

But it says "HDV-SD60p"

Does that mean it records to tape in HD??

Kelly

Stephen L. Noe June 21st, 2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

But it says "HDV-SD60p"

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

check in your manual. The HDV60 in SD mode is explained.

Steve Benner June 21st, 2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

But it says "HDV-SD60p"

Kelly

It is a SD format that is put to tape in the HDV recording specs meaning that it used MPEG 2 GOP Compression. The upress looks nice even though it is not HD.

John Mitchell June 21st, 2006 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Benner
It is a SD format that is put to tape in the HDV recording specs meaning that it used MPEG 2 GOP Compression. The upress looks nice even though it is not HD.

The 720 x576/480 50/60P is classified correctly as Extended definition. Not high definition, but better than standard definition (more info because it is not fielded)

Steve Benner June 22nd, 2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell
The 720 x576/480 50/60P is classified correctly as Extended definition. Not high definition, but better than standard definition (more info because it is not fielded)

That sounds about right, but it IS NOT High Def. The HD200 is the camera that can does this. The HD100 also can do 720/60, but only through the component outs.

Thomas Smet June 22nd, 2006 08:13 AM

Since with SD we are limited to 24p/25p/30p in a way the SD60P is kind of like HD. You do not gain extra detail in each frame but you do gain double the amount of detail over time because the framerate is double.

This really is a great format that does not get much recognition yet.

Steve Benner June 22nd, 2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
Since with SD we are limited to 24p/25p/30p in a way the SD60P is kind of like HD. You do not gain extra detail in each frame but you do gain double the amount of detail over time because the framerate is double.

I agree that it is a great format that does go unnoticed, but it is not HD resolution as you would get from the componet outs or the HD200/250.

John Mitchell June 22nd, 2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet

It can be a difficult concept to grasp but you do get more detail temporally, because every 50th or 60th second in Standard def the picture is in reality only half the number of lines vertically. So if you slice this format up to how much information is actually captured at a particular moment or period of time it is actually twice as much definition.
Interlacing is a cheat designed to fool the human brain into thinking that all the vertical detail is there, when in reality it isn't. When you attempt to scale interlaced footage that cheat comes back to bite you - you have to de-interlace, interpolate and take a less than perfect frame and scale.
This is why it is easier and cleaner to scale up to higher resolutions.
I agree that it is a terrific format.

Stephen Knapp June 22nd, 2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Benner
This is not hidden from the people here, but it is a lesser known function of the HD100. It also can shoto SD-50. Both can be used in SD for Undercranking or Upconverted nicely to HD.

One thing it has in common with HD, I think, is that SD60P defaults to widescreen aspect.

Steve, can you help me understand how upconverting from SD to HD is done? I see terms like that a lot, but I don't quite know what there are referring to. If I upconvert SD60P to something else in HD, what does it become, and how do I get it there?

Paolo Ciccone June 23rd, 2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Knapp
Steve, can you help me understand how upconverting from SD to HD is done? I see terms like that a lot, but I don't quite know what there are referring to. If I upconvert SD60P to something else in HD, what does it become, and how do I get it there?

It depends on your NLE/Compositing sw. In FCP you drop the clip in the timeline and the click on Motion tab and increse the Scale value until you reach the full frame.
You can see an example, including the use of HD-SD50 for slomo, here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70005

Stephen Knapp June 23rd, 2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
It depends on your NLE/Compositing sw. In FCP you drop the clip in the timeline and the click on Motion tab and increse the Scale value until you reach the full frame.
You can see an example, including the use of HD-SD50 for slomo, here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70005

Thanks, Paolo. Now that I know it's not a camera question but a software one, I will take the question to some PPro users. But there is a tag along question that I know is going to come up when I talk to them, that IS camera related. What is the native pixel aspect for HDV SD60P in the JVC HD100? When I try to capture that format on my system using two different sotware approaches from Cineform, I get files in two different pixel aspects and the screen comes out in different ratios. So I'm not really sure what the native pixel aspect SHOULD be. Shouldn't that always be the same for the camera setting, or does it vary by the capture environment?

What is the pixel aspect on the native SD60P from the HD100 when you do captures in FCP?

Paolo Ciccone June 23rd, 2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Knapp
What is the native pixel aspect for HDV SD60P in the JVC HD100?

It's 16:9 480 progressive lines.

Steve Benner June 23rd, 2006 10:10 AM

I capture the raw .m2t file and then import into MPEG STREAMCLIP. I then upscale to 1280 X 720 to either HDV or AIC and keep the frame rate at 59.96. I then import it to Cinema Tools and Conform to the desired frame rate. This provides very good results.

I hear that Aspect HD by Magic Bullet is great and they have a free trial but there is a specific workflow involved that I need to figure out.