Love the new cam, but wide-angle kills deal - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Lamm
I can't see dealing with P2 cards on the HVX right now... until they're a lot cheaper. I guess my second choice camera would be a Canon XL H1, but of course we're talking a lot more money there. BUt there seem to be many options in terms of lenses for the Canon.
Once the HD200/250 get released, there are several more lenses that are coming out with them.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:49 PM   #17
Regular Crew

That's good to hear, Steve.... now I need to decide if I can wait that long. Thanks for the information.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #18
Regular Crew

have u investigated the century optics options?
Old June 24th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Just a side issue, but moving subjects like dancers can really throw auto focus systems. I was filming a dance festival today with a Z1 and the focus took for ages to settle and could be way out.

Of course, since I was filming tight shots that were almost abstract in nature at times, this may not be a problem for you. However, even on wider shots the system was being thrown (sometimes 100M and infinity were being given as the focus distances) . BTW They were dancing against a black back drop.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #20
Trustee

Patricia,
I was at Cinegear in Los Angeles today and spoke to the Century Precision Optics people. I believe Century may have a solution for you.

Century has several accessories that work on the HD100.

First, they have a .8 wideangle converter, similar to the one from JVC. The only difference is that the century one is probably clearer in the corners than the JVC one.

However, Century also has two wide angle adapters. These are not zoom through (like the converter is) but may be perfect for you. They go on the lens when it is set at its widest. With these you can probably set focus at infinity and get excellent focus in the distance range you will be dealing with. In any case, through some experimentation, it would be possible to find the right aperture, focus setting and distance range for what you need (and you can return the .8 converter if it is not useful):

The are two WA adapters:
.7X Wide Angle Adapter sold alone ($449.95):
Part Number: WA-7X93
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

.7X .5X Wide Angle Adapter Set ($949.95)
Part Number WA-7X5X

The .7X has very little distortion -- the .5X has more -- though from what you said about what you have used, you would know how they look.

Both of the Adapters require a step up ring for the HD100 ($77.50)
Part Number FA-7X85

(All of the Part Numbers above have a "-00" on the end, but B&H drops this.)

They said (all 3 of the Century reps) that these adapters have been perhaps their best seller the past few years. They work on many different cameras.

Century also makes a super-fisheye adapter, a tele-converter (1.6X), a tele-extender (.2X), and acromatic diopters that work on the JVC HD100.

The above links are to B&H. The Century website is
www.schneideroptics.com

However, when I looked up the camera on the site, the particular lens for the HD100 doesn't show up. However, I am looking at a sheet, Spring 2006, right now that shows the accessories listed by camera (JVC GY-100U. the Canon LX-H1, and the Panasonic AG-HVX200.

The phone number for Century Schneider is:
West Coast 818-766-3715
East Coast 631-761-5000

The Century adapters are very good and might be exactly what you need to get the HD100 to work in the situation you need, both close to the dancers while getting a full figure and in helping maintain focus when they move in and out within a reasonable range.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #21
Trustee

[Dupe Deleted]
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Interesting post, Brian. I have not seen what you did in my work so far, but perhaps the circumstances are different (I don't think I'm as close to the dancers as you were). But I'll watch for it.

Thanks for the information, Jack. I'm stopping by B&H today and will check out these options..
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #23
Capt. Quirk

I'm still not 100% sure which lenses will work with this cam, but I have been shopping around on ebay. You would be surprised how many shorter Fuji lenses are for sale, for only a couple hundred. I'm just saying it might be worth while to look into. Me? I'm looking for longer lenses.
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Can't you just crank your tripod a little higher, to loose the tops of heads who wander in front of the lens. Then you could move a little further back to get the head to toe shot you want, with the extra headroom needed.
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Patricia,
I was at Cinegear in Los Angeles today and spoke to the Century Precision Optics people. I believe Century may have a solution for you.

Century has several accessories that work on the HD100.
great summary Jack!! thanks!
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I'm still not 100% sure which lenses will work with this cam, but I have been shopping around on ebay. You would be surprised how many shorter Fuji lenses are for sale, for only a couple hundred. I'm just saying it might be worth while to look into. Me? I'm looking for longer lenses.
1/3" lenses for couple of hundred? any links Keith?
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #27
Capt. Quirk

Just do a search on ebay. For instance, I saw a Fuji TV lens going for $120 or so. But, I'm still new to the lens game, and it might not have worked. Since I spent all my money, I don't dare go back yet.
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Lamm
Interesting post, Brian. I have not seen what you did in my work so far, but perhaps the circumstances are different (I don't think I'm as close to the dancers as you were). But I'll watch for it.

Thanks for the information, Jack. I'm stopping by B&H today and will check out these options..

Patricia

Check out http://www.red-eye.tv/ for wide angle adapters for the HD100

Regards

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #29
Major Player

Y'know the canon xl2 has a 3.4mm 3x wide lens which is about the widest 1/3" lens available for under $8999. I know a guy (me) that might be willing to work out some kind of trade.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Check out http://www.red-eye.tv for wide angle adapters for the HD100
thanks for the link Drew -

I wonder if this is comparable (qualitywise) to Century Optics one...

anyone used this?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems