Hd110/hd111 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 4th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #31
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Trent
Whenever there is a shoot out, I always like the JVC image best. I like that it has a professional lens and real 24P. I would have already bought the camera, except for the fact that every time I'm about too, I hear of a new problem. It's frustrating, and financially unacceptable to me, to buy a BRAND NEW $5,500 camera and have my first creative decision with it be - do I immediately send it back to JVC to have the SSE re-calibration fix, or do I put it out in the car on a sunny day, to warm up, while I come inside and download the super secret dead pixel formula, so I can perform my own kitchen table fix for all the dead pixels on it's ccds?

Although the JVC HDV (which was invented by JVC) only uses a 6 frame GOP, the Canon's 15 frame GOP shows less artifacts. Why is that? And what is with this new problem that Adam Wilt writes about in his HD100 review and Texas Shootout articles, about moving grass, leaves, reeds, etc. sticking for 6 frames at a time, causing a noticeable visual oddity.

I was excited by the A model release, thinking quality control would be addressed but instead I read A models were being sent out that still had to be sent back in for SSE re-calibration.

I think JVC made a great camera and it's choices with the 1280x720 pixel ccd (no shifting gimmick) and 720P format are the best choices for a 1/3 HDV camera, but they lack follow through on the details.

So, my question is, are these problems going to be fixed in the HD110 version, or not? If they are, I'm buying it. If not, I won't be buying it. Thank you.
John, well over 12,000 of the GY-HD100U's have been sold. Due to the power of the internet and great forums like this one, you hear of some problems, numbering a very small percentage of the total sales. You don't hear from every one of the mnay thousands of customers who are perfectly happy with their cameras - you only hear from the ones who have the time to post a message. And, to that end, there are many, many posts on this forum of very positive results with the GY-HD100U.

Our Q.C. has been dramatically improved since the early days of the product. SSE has really become a non-issure for virtually all customers. Those customers who are found to have need of SSE calibration are quickly taken care of by our service department, or their camera is exchanged. This can be confirmed by several posts on this forum.

Regarding dead pixels - they sometimes don't show up until the product has already left the factory and has been shipped to the dealer, and then to the end-user. Any dead pixel issues are quicky resolved with the camera's built-in error correction. By the way, all manufactures of CCD camera have experience dead pixels from time to time. This can be confirmed by several posts on this forum. At least on ours, it's easy to fix.

All of the design and Q.C. improvements that we have implemented in the GY-HD100U will be part of the GY-HD110U, so my feeling is that the GYHD110U will be a reliable and stable product. Will every one of the thouands of GYHD110U that I anticipate that we will build in the future be perfect? Probably not - after all, at this price range (compared to other native HD cameras that cost ten times as much) this is a mass-produced camera. The key thing is what we can do to support you after the sale. We have a 30 day initial failure policy, a 1 year parts & labor warranty, and a team of very dedicated sales and service personnel that are concerned about our customer's satisfaction. We also have many dealers who share our commitment to customer service.

So, since you said that you favor the GYHD100 camera over the others, go for it! Keep in mind to plan your purchase several weeks prior to an important shoot. This will allow you plenty of time to learn the camera, and if there is any issues, you will then have the time to get help resolving them.

Regards,
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
So, my question is are these problems going to be fixed in the HD110 version, or not? If they are, I'm buying it. If not, I won't be buying it. Thank you.
... and my questions is: "Will this camera do what I need it to do now?... and is it the best (or only) choice available that I can afford?"

On all counts, my answer is yes. The minimal problems seem to be well documented, and JVC has been exceptional in taking care of big issues (such as the free A upgrade to everyone) as well as individual owners' problems with personal service and attention.

For $5500 the JVC is state-of-the-art with no competitors.

I don't read it mentioned often, but the size of the camera, it's smaller form than a standard pro ENG camera, is a very attractive feature. It's like cruising through the streets of Berlin in a little Audi instead of a big Mercedes... much more enjoyable.

There are different customers for this camera. If someone has the budget to add $35,000 worth of accessories to a $5000 camera... she has special uses and has got a varicam, cinealta, genesis, or panavision for principal photography. He is also probably buying five of the cameras to shoot backgrounds or some such.

Obviously, the low, low, low budget filmmaker will find the camera perfect. He may have an array of used lens, filters, accessories that are borrowed, begged or bought to help with his look.

And there is the one who can only afford the camera, maybe a wide angle converter and a couple of filters, and a case who needs to produce high quality HD video to stay at the front of the pack. Delivery will be DVD (at first high quality SD) then a Blu-Ray version in 9 months. The JVC camera is made to order out of the box. With some quality simple lighting and experience gotten the hard way, beautiful professional video will be produced with the camera just the way it is (and perhaps some of Paolo's settings).

For all these people who need a camera now, the JVC is a must-have now. There is nothing, nothing to compare.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #33
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

JVC has Formally issued a Marketing Bulletin on the GY-HD110U to be released in the U.S.

JVC is pleased to announce the release of the GY-HD110U, the latest version of HD100 series ProHD camcorders. The GY-HD110U replaces the GY-HD100U which will be discontinued upon depletion of current inventory.

New GYHD110U Features Include:
- Black and White Viewfinder display mode
- Simultaneous use of both eyepiece viewfinder and tri-mode LCD display when powered by Anton Bauer or IDX battery system
-Selectable mirror mode on vertically flipped LCD display
-Adjustable setting of FOCUS ASSIST function
-Choice of 3 image formats on composite out (letterbox, squeeze, side cut)
-User selectable DNR On/Off menu setting
-13 segments audio indicator
-Manual audio control within FAS (Full auto shooting) mode
-Audio limiter available in manual mode
-Parallel power off management of DR-HD100 recorder

JVC is also pleased to announce thtat the introductory pricing for the GYHD110U will be identical to the prior model. Shipment of the GYHD110 is scheduled to begin in mid July. All accessories available for the GYHD100U are also applicable to the GY-HD110U.

The extended Anton Bauer Power Promotion DOES NOT apply to the GY-HD110U.

For additional information, please contact your local JVC Dealer or you can contact TapeWorks Texas Inc toll free 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
scott@tapeworkstexas.com
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Mr. Carl Hicks, it's great that JVC has a representative here. It's good to know there's help for questions and problems, right at hand. When I've had reason to call JVC in the past, I've had nothing but professional and extremely nice people offering assistance. This is quite unlike my Panasonic experiences, where my forum questions are repeatedly ignored by their rep and my phone calls were taken by an ignorant and arrogant staff - a very dangerous combination in my book. I doubt if I call JVC that, I will be transfered from department to department with every one of them telling me, "I wonder why they transfered you to me?" only to hit a dead end, and call them up again, only to be yelled at, as I was by Panny's crack staff.

I did read that that the "A" model used in the Texas Shootout showed no SSE, but it still seems like pot luck. It sounds like the 110 will come properly calibrated. I do commend you for your return fix policy. I'd just like not to have to do this, as in the past, when I've sent gear in to be fixed (not with JVC), it usually comes back with something else wrong. My luck, I suppose.

Sony and Pannasonic don't seem to have the dead pixel issue that JVC and Canon have, but again, I commend you (unlike Canon) that you offer a fix, without sending it back to the manufacturer. But couldn't you include it in the manual, or at least allow it to be posted as a "sticky", instead of us having to send private emails back and forth like it's a forbidden and secret act.

So, the only problem left is the artifact, and "six-frame stick" problem. I understand with HDV's GOP, there won't be perfection but it could be as good as Canon's implemention. No one else has the "frame stick" problem. Will this be fixed on the 110? This still concerns me.

I just read about the mid-July release. Oh, and the noise reduction sounds good. I hope this is the camera for me. Thank you.
John Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #35
JVC America

Quote:
Thanks guys. Mr. Carl Hicks, it's great that JVC has a representative here. It's good to know there's help for questions and problems, right at hand. When I've had reason to call JVC in the past, I've had nothing but professional and extremely nice people offering assistance. This is quite unlike my Panasonic experiences, where my forum questions are repeatedly ignored by their rep and my phone calls were taken by an ignorant and arrogant staff - a very dangerous combination in my book. I doubt if I call JVC that, I will be transfered from department to department with every one of them telling me, "I wonder why they transfered you to me?" only to hit a dead end, and call them up again, only to be yelled at, as I was by Panny's crack staff.

I did read that that the "A" model used in the Texas Shootout showed no SSE, but it still seems like pot luck. It sounds like the 110 will come properly calibrated. I do commend you for your return fix policy. I'd just like not to have to do this, as in the past, when I've sent gear in to be fixed (not with JVC), it usually comes back with something else wrong. My luck, I suppose.

Sony and Pannasonic don't seem to have the dead pixel issue that JVC and Canon have, but again, I commend you (unlike Canon) that you offer a fix, without sending it back to the manufacturer. But couldn't you include it in the manual, or at least allow it to be posted as a "sticky", instead of us having to send private emails back and forth like it's a forbidden and secret act.

So, the only problem left is the artifact, and "six-frame stick" problem. I understand with HDV's GOP, there won't be perfection but it could be as good as Canon's implemention. No one else has the "frame stick" problem. Will this be fixed on the 110? This still concerns me.

I just read about the mid-July release. Oh, and the noise reduction sounds good. I hope this is the camera for me. Thank you.

Hi John,

The Q.C. department will do their best to deliver all GY-HD110U's with the best possible SSE calibration. Keep in mind that they are mass-produced, and it is remotly possible that a camera could slip through with less than ideal calibration. I think the chances are far lower than with the first few months of the GY-HD100U, as we have learned a lot since then. As I said earlier, in the remote event that a camera does not have the best calibration, we offer a 1 year warranty, and a 30 day initial failure exchange.

The proceedure for pixel correction is given out on a "need-to-know" basis, because there are some sensitive menus settings with which an in-experienced user might "mess-up" their camera. We want to make sure that a customer is technically savy enough to perform the proceedure before giving it out to them. This saves our service and support departments valuable time that might be wasted in correcting problems caused by a curious customer. And by the way, yes, Sony and Panasonic do also sometimes experience dead pixels. I used to work a dealership that sold most all professional and broadcast cameras, so I can recall pixel issues with all brands of cameras. It is the nature of the CCD beast.

As for the "six-frame-stick" problem you bring up: I have no idea what this is all about. I have never seen it, and I have never heard of it at all until it was mentioned in the shoot-out report. I have never seen anyone on this forum report it either. Perhaps it was an isolated incident?

If you are still not totally comfortable, then plan to buy your GY-HD110U with time to spare before you intend to use it for an important event. This will give you time to learn the camera, and should any problems be found, you will then have time to get help with it.

Regards, Carl
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #36
Trustee

I understand that official notices -- more than one -- went out from JVC to dealers today regarding the HD110 and some other subjects. I suppose dealers will share the info with their customers as they see fit. (Some big dealers are still denying the existence of the HD110.)

To complete my contribution to this thread, I have bought a camera and look forward to its arrival later in the month. Now I have the match for my JVC vtr -- which wasn't doing me a lot of good with no video to capture.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #37
Tourist

straight from JVC-110u

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL101642
Joseph Robert Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #38
New Boot

My thanks to all contributors and Carl of JVC for this very open/realistic dialogue.
You see I'm wrestling with the decision of what new CAM to buy, and if it will be SD or HD? I PLAN TO PLACE MY ORDER THIS WEEK! The candidates are HD100, HVX200 and DVX100B. I'm editing with FCP Studio and currently have an SD Sony DVX1000 (needs replaced). But I want a non-laborious work flow of integrating HD quality into an output in SD that for now I can distribute on DVD 16:9 and dubbed to BetaSP for broadcast. And want to use the "film look" of 24p that is a smooth workflow shot in HD and editing in FCP.
Our broadcast segments are 30 mins using 2 cams, the other one a new 100B purchased by my partner.
So, I want a smooth, reduced render time of short clips to down convert from HD to SD that will match up with the 100B that will have good color correlation - thinking the HD will provide nice effects for 10 to 20 second splashes, intros, and inters while also using the SD shooting for 2 CAM cuts.
I like the tape media the HD100 offers plus the companion deck.
The unknown challenge for me is what is and is not compatable in using the HD100 in FCP STudio editing when compared to doing the same with the HVX200?
At this point my clients both corporate DVDs and broadcast are not wanting HD but I'm concerned about investing in a CAM like the 100B that's only SD with all the activity being done with HD development and implementation.
Your comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated as all of you have taken the plunge!

Thanks,

Sam Miller
Sam Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
I just looked at the manual for the hd110/hd111.

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2...al.pdf?id=6467

Looks interesting. Especially the b/w vf and improved focus assist.
Is the 250 manual out there?
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #40
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
Is the 250 manual out there?

Hi David,

Manuals are usually not available until the product ships, which is not until around October / November 2006.

Regards, Carl
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for all the info in this thread. I read everything yesterday, and discovered the AB battery promotion was extended.

I was very close to buying a demo HD-100 from B&H, but after I learned the promotion applies only to new cameras, I reconsidered. Then I learned B&H has no more new HD-100's.

In the end I ended up reserving one of the last new HD-100's from TapeworksTexas. They were very helpful. I was expecting them to say no to reserving one. I don't have all the $ for a new one yet, and I was afraid I would miss the promotion again, while trying to save up. But they agreed to reserve me one, and the price was better than I was expecting too! Huge props for Tapeworks!!

You guys saved me the pain of having to pay full price for an Anton Bauer battery kit! (Tapeworks, and everyone else who contributed to this thread)

I really considered waiting for a 110, but Mr hicks detailed the changes, and I decided the free battery is a higher priority over some features I will be able to work without.
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #42
Major Player

Is anyone selling the HD110 yet? Or is there an accurate ETA?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #43
Capt. Quirk

Carl- Since you are lurking in this thread, can I get you to address an issue I'm having with my HD100? I'm getting a flash of red on tape, that lasts about 9 frames. It fills the screen with solid red, and fades back to the image over a few frames. It has happened at least twice on the one tape I've shot.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #44
Major Player

HD100 vs. HD110

I'm posting this message because I have read so many worried posts about this upgrade.

I think people need to just relax and take a deep breath.

When I bought my car, the next year they came out with a new model with a better engine. I honestly don’t care because I bought the best product that was available at that time. Every year manufacturers upgrade their products with new model numbers and added tweaks. Why should video equipment be any different.

I think the fact that they are building on the HD-100 platform is much more reassuring than if they simply left the HD-100 alone to die out. The HD250/200/110 models prove JVC’s commitment to this product which means our HD100’s won’t become obsolete any time soon.

Had they not improved on the HD100, this camera might have been written off as a failed experiment.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems