DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hd110/hd111 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/70105-hd110-hd111.html)

Paul Jefferies June 23rd, 2006 02:24 PM

Hd110/hd111

Hi,
Just came back from the production show (or whatever its called this year) in London. JVC had two new cameras on display in addition to the 200 and 250 we all know about - they called them the HD110 and HD111. I think they are just upgrades of the existing 100 / 101 but with some of those features we all wanted, i.e. viewfinder and monitor on simultaneously, VF and Monitor black and white options, some new audio stuff. Does anyone have any more info on these cameras? I didn't have time to really check them out in detail. P.S. maybe its time to call this forum "JVC GY-HD models" as the title is going to be massive with all these new models added to it...

Jack Walker June 24th, 2006 12:11 AM

I wrote to JVC in the U.S. about the 110 and got this answer:

"There has been no official word yet when the GY-HD110 will be available
here in the United States."

There is another thread (or two) about the 110 in this forum that has some links to the details on the 110/11. Here are the HD110 threads:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=537755

At the show did JVC say whether or not the HD100 would continue alongside the HD110?

JVC is supposed to be at Cinegear in Los Angeles. If they are, I plan to ask them about the HD110 and the U.S. at the show tomorrow (Saturday). I don't know if anyone has already gotten some info from the show.

Paul Jefferies June 24th, 2006 02:12 AM

They implied that the 110 is a direct replacement for the 100, likewise the 111 is a replacement for the 101

Drew Curran June 24th, 2006 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies
They implied that the 110 is a direct replacement for the 100, likewise the 111 is a replacement for the 101

Creative Video list the 101 and 100 as discontinued. I've just ordered one of the last 101e's from them. According to them the 111e is the replacement. Its £400 dearer.

Drew

Jack Walker June 24th, 2006 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies

Thank you for the information. And for the info about the HD100 being discontinued in Europe. Here is a link:
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...&Submit=go&w=1

Did they have by chance any information about when the HD200 and/or 250 would be available?

Bob Fierce June 24th, 2006 01:57 PM

Does the 110 have the new 60p encoder that'll be available in the 200/250? If so, what's the difference between the 110 and 200?

Drew Curran June 24th, 2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Fierce
Does the 110 have the new 60p encoder that'll be available in the 200/250? If so, what's the difference between the 110 and 200?

No. Video and audio recording remain unchanged.

Drew

Jack Walker June 25th, 2006 02:32 AM

I spoke to a VP of marketing for JVC (from the New Jersey office) at Cinegear. Depite the fact that I was a little annoying with my persistent questions that I repeated, he gave me some info on the new versions coming out -- and I don't think there is really much more that is definite.

The HD110 is not considered a new version for a slight upgrade to the existing HD100. In other words, it is not a replacement model but a model number change to reflect the slight feature upgrades on the HD100 -- and as such is considered to be the same camera for all practical purposes (which it is as far as picture acquistion, quality, formats, etc. etc.).

While the Euro model is selling for more money, the VP said the HD110 would be no raise in price over the HD100 in the U.S.

As far when, he said he didn't know but probably within a few months. He was specific, but the indication was that the HD110 would appear when the stock of HD100 cameras ran out. He didn't say so directly, but it seems the current battery promotion is part of the change over... though the changes in the updated model are so slight that for 95% of the people, the changes are meaningless and the battery deal is fantastic.

Regarding the 200 and 250:

He told me several times that they would probably be out in September or October. The exact feature set of the new models is not yet set and the camera design is not in concrete. The two main features of the 200 are the image flip for use of standard lenses and the 60p. There are other minor things that may or may not be included.

The 250 has SDI, etc. etc. and the features have been already listed on the forum.

One final note, the VP told another man who came up that the 250 would be release first, and the 200 would follow it at an unspecified later date. Whether he meant a week, a month, 3 months, he didn't say... and these decisions probably haven't been made.

From the whole conversation I got the impression that the 250 was pretty much in the bag and thed 200 was undergoing some last minute considerations.

Jack Walker June 25th, 2006 02:20 PM

Here is a detailed list of the upgrades that are on the HD110:
http://www.expandore.com/product/JVC...C_ProHD110.htm

The upgrades are probably negligible for most people but in certain scenarios are very helpful. For example, the audio limiter in manual mode can potentially save a shot in documentary situations when not using a mixer with a limiter.

Joyce Mahoney June 25th, 2006 03:35 PM

Hey guys- OK this thing has me worried. I mean I purchased this equipment when we were first going out on our own and the last thing i need is for it to be is obsolete. Jonathan, you're in tight with these people and you're using like a dozen of their cameras or something lke that (Congrats on the show!). So what's the real story? I can always count on you Bud for the truth.

Jack Walker June 25th, 2006 03:59 PM

I started looking into this because I was going to buy a camera this week. However, my decision is to wait for the HD200. I specifically want 60p for capturing dancing that I can then slow down for use in either a 24p or a 30 project.

There is someone in Europe who posted on this forum that he had just purchased an HD100 after considering the HD110 -- concluding that the slight upgrade in some features was not important to him.

At the Cinegear show the JVC rep from New Jersey, though a little defensive, did make it clear that the HD100 picture qualities was in every way exactly the same as the HD110. Though I don't have the camera yet, I tend to agree with him.

I have purchased the VTR, and my concern is that it might not be compatible with the HD200. The rep said that a decision hasn't been made about this yet. Apparently for the 250 there is an add on to the VTR that was shown at NAB.

The got the VTR because I am going to buy a camera, and I got it now because I got a deal on one with zero hours, and I plan to rent the HD100 for an upcoming project this month.

After learning as much as I have, I believe that if I had to buy a battery pack, I would still buy the HD100 this week. When I called B&H last week they had 100 HD100s in stock. Though I am not a sear, I think the HD100 is going to be around awhile.

For people who may want to upgrade to the HD200, the HD110, or even the HD250, I think they will want to keep and use the HD100 for multicam shoots... and if not, there will be a lot of people who want them. People shooting features in video often use multiple cameras... and being able to match a second camera up with a digital card, and then the 24p and format needing to match, I don't think the HD100 is going in any way to be obsolete... and in most scenarios, the new and/or upgraded models won't add anything.

Jonathan Ames June 25th, 2006 05:40 PM

Well, rock and a hard place, Film Girl. Yes I do know what's going on or at least what JVC tells someone who's purchased 6 and is probably buying another 6 250s however, that being said, the group of JVC people at CineGear was disperate and I can only assume who the board is talking about when they say a VP. The company's loaded with VPs and executives, some of whom are great people like Bob Muller who know what honor and integrity are all about, downplays his role and simply gets things done for all of us but don't make the circuit. And then there are those who are put out on the circuit, have absolutey no idea what integrity is all about failing to evidence even a passing familiarity with things like truth and honor, thrive on self-importance mixing messages with self-grandising calndestine overtones and causing confusion on boards like this who are the bread and butter of the industry. And then there are the great people who are out there on the front lines without important titles making the circuit grind being honest with people, telling them the truth and asking them simply to keep a confidence. I respect that so that's what I mean by rock and a hard place. What I can tell you is that, with more than $60,000 invested in 6 100HDs and their ancillary accessories, I'm not concerned that a 110 is going to replace them because we upgraded. However JVC needs to keep its books straight is up to them. We have the "A" upgrade on all our units so there's no need to think we're missing something.

Jonathan Nelson June 25th, 2006 06:26 PM

I wonder how long it will take for the hd110 to come around. I just ordered a hd100 and I wouldn't mind waiting a month to get the new version even though it doesn't include the AB promo. Any longer then a month then I will have to forget the hd110. I find it hard to believe that these features are that "slight". They are obviously large enough to make jvc want to spend the money and implement them in a new model, but seriously, what do I know?

What strikes me the most about the hdd110, is the upgraded focus assist feature.

Joel Aaron June 25th, 2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyce Mahoney
last thing i need is for it to be is obsolete.

My definition of obsolete would be "can't use it and is worthless". That's not happening. The HD-100 shoots great right now. In fact, we know the chip is the same in all these cameras and you can change lenses so you'll be shooting just as good quality as anyone else without a couple new conveniences. If you NEED 60P then you might want to sell your gear and upgrade to an HD-200. That's a more expensive camera though. If you rarely need 60P you'd just rent or borrow for those shoots.

Will our cameras devalue when the new ones come out? Probably $500 or $1000... but if the new cameras don't include the bigger batteries then maybe not. What would you rather have - a 5 hour battery or both monitor and viewfinder on at the same time?

There's ALWAYS a newer cooler everything 6 months away. Never buy anything until you can't wait another 6 months for the new cool thing because you need it now. :-) (I wish I could follow that advice)

Jonathan Ames June 25th, 2006 06:40 PM

Well agreed, Joel, well agreed.