Just got it... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 29th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Just got it...

I just received by HD101e last night, and only had time to build it - adding the lens, mic, EVF, etc.

On first appearances operation seems pretty daunting!!

I'm itching to get shooting a couple of shorts I have been planning. I also have a couple of promos to shot over the summer, so I need to get up to speed pretty quickly. On first impressions, focus assist seems really useful, however it seems to require fairly contrasty scenes to work. I was film my dog lying on its bed - brown dog, brown bed - and focus assist wouldn't tell me anything. When I panned up to a picture on a off-white wall, it worked brilliantly. Can its sensitivity be adjusted?

I should go read the manual ASAP!!

Are there any settings you would recommend to begin with? Any tests etc?

Thanks

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Major Player

I love the focus assist feature.

I got mine this week also and played with some of the recipe files from the recipe sticky. The stock settings are pretty boring for the most part.

Its funny, last night I downloaded some footage and there was a big white dot at the bottom corner of the screen. My heart sunk when I saw it...

Luckfully, the pixel compen feature was able to mask it out. I uploaded some new footage and sure enough, the dreaded stuck pixel was gone!

The footage is pretty amazing.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Without a doubt, read the thread on scene recipes, and set up with Paulo's true Color 3.
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Its a great camera. I've also played wtih the scene files. I love the matrix style one. The default ones remind me of some old cine footage. Some might like it.

The lack of image stabilisation has made me realise how shakey and twitchy I am!! I might have to look in to a glidecam or something. Any suggestions? Or would pumping iron be my only solution!!

I bought this mainly for indie film making so this shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully practice will improve my hand held shots.

I love the picture quality tho - no complaints there - excellent. Top marks to JVC. Focus assist is very useful - again top marks.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems