DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Which Pelican? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/70500-pelican.html)

Shaun Wilson June 29th, 2006 05:42 AM

Which Pelican?

I've just ordered a GY-HD101e and am now looking at case options. Have decided on getting Pelican, but not sure which one. Can anyone else who uses a Pelican with their HD100/HD101 tell me which one is best? I don't want to have to take the camera apart at all, just grab and go from the case. I've had the 1650 recommended to me, but I noticed the cheaper 1610 is theoretically big enough.

Have searched around but haven't found a definitive answer...

Drew Curran June 29th, 2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Wilson
I've just ordered a GY-HD101e and am now looking at case options. Have decided on getting Pelican, but not sure which one. Can anyone else who uses a Pelican with their HD100/HD101 tell me which one is best? I don't want to have to take the camera apart at all, just grab and go from the case. I've had the 1650 recommended to me, but I noticed the cheaper 1610 is theoretically big enough.

Have searched around but haven't found a definitive answer...

Shaun

I'm not sure about the pelican.

I've just recieved my 101e with a Kata ccc-10 case - which I think is slightly too small for the camera, especially if the EVF is extended. It also puts pressure on the XLR cable from the on board mic where it plugs in to the body of the camera.

I'm thinking of returning it for a larger case.

Regards

Andrew

Edit: Sorry Shaun. I'm only now realising that you are looking for a hard case. Please ignore what i said above. oops

David Knaggs June 29th, 2006 06:59 AM

Hi Shaun.

I've got the Pelican 1650 and wouldn't recommend a smaller one. Remember that the supplied battery on the GY-HD101E will only last for about 20 minutes so you'll need room for an Anton Bauer battery and charger (or an IDX kit). By the time you make partitions for your wide-angle adapter, polarizer, etc., etc., you won't have too much room left, even in the 1650. And if you decide to get a Focus Firestore recorder (Direct-to-Edit) DR-HD100, you'll need space in your case for that as well.

Greg Corke June 29th, 2006 07:20 AM

Hi shaun,

I'm also getting peli for all my gear. The 1610 looks big enough but we have one at work that Im going to check out tomorrow so if you can wait a couple of days I'll give you the verdict.

Greg

P.S. This case i'm sure will only accommodate camera. I've got seperate peli coming for add ons i.e. firestore, matte box, batteries etc, etc.

Tim Dashwood June 29th, 2006 07:23 AM

I bought the 1600, which works well if you remove the viewfinder. This actually makes sense for safe travel via couriers.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....59&postcount=7

Manny Rodriguez June 29th, 2006 08:09 AM

I have the 1620, I fit the whole camera, mat box, Battery and charger, I recomend you eliminate from having to remove your eye piece all the time when storing the unit, you'll save your camera from wear and tear. The whole thing fits in a 1620

Greg Corke July 1st, 2006 09:00 AM

Thanks Tim

Just wanted to say thanks Tim. for posting those peli case jpegs. We have both cases at work and the 1610 looked too big but I without the camera I couldn't see how it was going to fit into the smaller case. As usual Tim a great help you've been missed.

regards Greg c

Shaun Wilson July 3rd, 2006 10:34 PM

Thanks for your comments guys. I've ended up going with the 1650 as the price difference isn't that huge and I don't mind having a bulkier case to make sure everything's going to fit in comfortably (and i imagine I'll eventually get an Anton Bauer kit so there'll be room for that somewhere even if I have to remove it when putting the camera in its case).

Will post a photo of how it fits when the case arrives.