Editing presets for JVC ProHD - PPro 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing presets for JVC ProHD - PPro 2

Adobe has posted an update for ProHD -

http://snipurl.com/Ppro2update

Not sure whats new... we already can edit in Ppro2
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
Adobe has posted an update for ProHD -

http://snipurl.com/Ppro2update

Not sure whats new... we already can edit in Ppro2
That URL didn't work for me.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3409

It looks like it adds 24P support without the need for Cineform if you don't want to invest in their codec.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's what it looks like. This is very good news. Now if only Apple would wake up and do the same for FCP...

Hello, Steve? Steve? Anyone home in Cupertino?
Keith Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
It looks like it adds 24P support without the need for Cineform if you don't want to invest in their codec.

doesnt this just add a preset - after all its just 7kb file :) - it would take a lot more to outperform the Cineform codec..right?
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You're right, Ram -- 7kb does sound laughably inadequate to the task. But here's what it says on the download page:

"This update includes presets that enable Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 to edit progressive-scan HDV video recorded in JVC's ProHD progressive-scan modes. Supported modes: 24P, 25P, and 30P."

That sure sounds like native 24P support to me, although I could be way off on my interpretation...I'm going to download it and try it on my Alienware laptop tomorrow. I'll report my findings ASAP.
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
doesnt this just add a preset - after all its just 7kb file :) - it would take a lot more to outperform the Cineform codec..right?
I don't think they are claiming to compete with Cineform here. Perhaps you always could edit 24P and a preset was all that was needed.
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Steve is at Disneyland, along with JL........
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
That URL didn't work for me.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3409

Sorry for the newb question.

In what way is hdv 24p not supported by the current version of ppro 2.0?
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ward
You're right, Ram -- 7kb does sound laughably inadequate to the task. But here's what it says on the download page:

"This update includes presets that enable Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 to edit progressive-scan HDV video recorded in JVC's ProHD progressive-scan modes. Supported modes: 24P, 25P, and 30P."

That sure sounds like native 24P support to me, although I could be way off on my interpretation...I'm going to download it and try it on my Alienware laptop tomorrow. I'll report my findings ASAP.
Come on Apple... keep up!!!

Adobe could relaunch Premiere for OSX in the time its taken Apple to get their act together!!

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Jonathan,

Cineform makes it possible to edit the HDV files created by the HD100. Once you capture the files, Cineform converts them to a format PP can use. I've heard (although I've not tested) that PP 2.0 can handle the raw files created, but it would take so long to do edit them that it would be virtually impossible to get anything done.
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #11
Tourist

JVC GY-HD100 PPro Preset

Hello all,

I downloaded the preset and installed it. I hope to experiment with it today, but so far, it does come up with JVC ProHD HDV settings when creating a new file. Yes, this is not that revoutionary, as you could create a custom one that does the same thing, but it is nice that it is set up for you.

One thing I noticed is that though it now has JVC settings for the project, this update did not add in a JVC ProHD CAPTURE preset. It allows for EDITING film shot on the JVC GY-HD100, but not necessarily CAPTURING it. Interesting.
Eric Alberttson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ward
Jonathan,

Cineform makes it possible to edit the HDV files created by the HD100. Once you capture the files, Cineform converts them to a format PP can use. I've heard (although I've not tested) that PP 2.0 can handle the raw files created, but it would take so long to do edit them that it would be virtually impossible to get anything done.
It does make a huge difference while editing, the raw m2t files are much harder to handle then the converted files from Cineform which work as good as real-time while editing.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
Sorry for the newb question.

In what way is hdv 24p not supported by the current version of ppro 2.0?
Apparently 24p HDV is supported now. Previously Premiere without Cineform would only edit 30p.

Cineform converts HDV to their own codec that is faster for the computer to process as well as being much friendlier for compositing and color correction than HDV's mpeg is. Cineform.com tells their sales pitch.
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Hey, it was me who proposed that they should do it! Incredible, they actually listen to you :)
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM   #15
Trustee

still wrapping head arounf PP2

This is very good news. Thanks for the link and the info guys - keeps us posted on any other upgrades.

At this point, even though I love Macs, I'm glad I went the PC route/adobe - they really do seem to be listening, don't they?

john

evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems