DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   BR-HD50 Recording (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/70642-br-hd50-recording.html)

Richard Lowther July 1st, 2006 12:04 AM

BR-HD50 Recording

Has anyone recorded back to tape to the HD50 through firewire? I have tried for hours using Ppro2 print to tape but couldn't get it to work. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

Flemming Loevenhardt July 1st, 2006 12:07 AM

Hello Richard

I am very interested in this subject - I have the same problem and I have tried to use pp 1.51 and 2.0 but not one of them can record back to tape on the hd50.

NB I do not use Cineform Aspect

kind regards
Flemming

Alan Larsen July 1st, 2006 12:26 AM

problem

even though I don't have ppro2....i checked out that new update for it that supports 24p and in the little disclaimer below on the site it says that you will be unable to print back to tape. This is what it says directly from the site: "Note: Export to tape is not supported in 24P mode. If you choose export to tape, the action will fail." - this could be your problem...but correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck

Dave Wallin July 2nd, 2006 10:43 AM

Interesting thread. I have tried to PTT with 30p as well, which is supposed to output - but I get the "fail" error. Tried in Vegas as well and the only option available is "HDV - 480/720-60". Ir shows the deck as only having one record option -"HDV 720 30p" so you can't even change it to 24p. So hit ok and it goes through the motions and renders and than says it is prinitng to tape but nothing comes down the firewire. Vegas also give you the option to pick an existing file to output. If you pick and existing m2t file you get the error of "The file type is unkown".

Looking for answers.

EDIT - doing some tests. This is interesting. Capture with Vegas - 24p, not any issue at all. Load it up to a project, reads as 24p (23.976 or whatever). Now load up the HDV export screen and load up this exact same file that Vegas just captured - error about the file being an unknown file type. Now choose the file out option where it "conforms" the file. When the timer got to about 20 minutes to "conform" this file for output I hit cancel. No need for this - Vegas has a bug? Or it just doesn't like JVC 24p material.

Now for Premiere Pro 2 - if you turn off device control you are not allowed to print to tape. The option is greyed out. Interesting.
So turn device control back on and it looks like you can capture via in and out point selection but once you mark it there is no way to actually capture the in and out points. For output - droping the file onto the timeline and doing nothing to it results in the file being re-rendered ("Transcoding to HDV") but here is something interesting - after it turns and grinds it says ready, clicking it tosses the deck into record and after a while - it records! However nothing records, but I was shocked that Premiere Pro did not return the error message like it does when I bring in a file captured with Vegas. (Tried the 30p as well and get the same results - does everything it should but records nothing to tape)

This is all sort of like early DVD programs where the program would just re-encode an already encoded file. Or maybe I am just missing something here. 24p in > project at 24p > output goes haywire.

Jiri Bakala July 5th, 2006 04:43 PM

I believe that the footage has to be converted into a transport stream. I have just upgraded my Avid XP to HD 5.5.1 and it shows an option of converting the timeline to a transport stream for export to HDV.

I could try it but I would have to be first able to actually capture anything HDV to the computer first - hence; any Avid XP HD users out there working with HD-BR50U?

Thanks.

Jiri Bakala July 6th, 2006 07:39 PM

BR-HD50U firmware?

So, I just spent two days trying to convince Avid XP 5.5.1 to talk with and accept video from the HD50 deck and they decided that they would rather not play together nicely... There are known issues with Avid that are supposed to be addressed but the deck had some problems too.

Hence, two questions:

1. Anyone has any experience with the current AXP 5.5.1 on a Mac and the deck? What are your settings for the deck when capturing 720/30p footage?

2. What is the current firmware of the deck and how is it upgraded? Some suggested a slot on the back but this discussion seemed to have died down.

Thanks.

Panos Bournias July 6th, 2006 08:41 PM

Avid 5.51

The export to the br50 from the avid was never a problem. The work flow is like this: You finish the project. Render the effects, (using expert render for HDV works better), you mix down the audio layers, you go to: clip export to HDV devise, : create new transport stream.
You wait appr. 0,35 of the real time and as soon as the M2t is ready avid will try to trigger the BR50.
If everything is configured fine the m2t goes back to tape and the preview appears to your client monitor.
If the BR50 for some reason is not triggered, the m2t that is created by Avid can be reused for an export.
This time you go: clip export to HDV devise use existing transport stream.
The BR50 not triggered?: You check the settings, the remote, the firewire, you restart and it will work.

Panos Bournias July 6th, 2006 08:54 PM

Re Avid 5,51

Now that I read your posting Jiri. I do not know the number of the upgrade but when we upgraded the cam to A there was an upgrade for the spooler especially for use with Avid, that we did also. Before that the BR50 was working as well but we had many errors when captuting that now became less.
The setting are: SEL 60 (System page 2) PB Tape format: HDV. If you have controller (Remote page: CONTROLLER SEL Type 7, VIDEO Menu OUT FORMAT 60 720p, if you use native sometime it works and sometimes not.
Don't forget to turn the front switch on the BR50 to HDV.
I use the HP 8200 and on the AVID settings deck conf. and pref. it can read the BR50 and configure it properly for HDV 30. For DV instead it reads the BR50 as an NTSC devise and we cannot use the same config. for PAL, we readjust it as a generic PAL DV devise. As for the time code the setting is non drop.in both BR50 and Avid.
I hope this will help - if the problem persists go to the Avid forums and scream!
Panos

Jiri Bakala July 6th, 2006 10:32 PM

Thanks Panos, I will try it tomorrow. The settings for TC is non drop? That might be my problem right here...I though that it is drop frame 59.97 (or whatever the exact number is...) You are sure about this? What if I shot everything in DF?

Also, how did you upgrade the deck? Sent it in or downloaded the file?