Differences between HD100, HD110, HD200, and HD250 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warren, NJ
Posts: 398
Differences between HD100, HD110, HD200, and HD250

Looking at the press releases, I have been having trouble determining which features are unique to each model, which where enhancement also included in later versions (e.g., HD100-HD110), and in some cases, exactly what the difference was. An example was the enhanced Codec and 720/60p recording. Does the HD110 share the new codec? How do they record 60p? Does the 16mm lens adapter fit all of the cameras? Do you need an HD250 to record synchronized sound externally?

Additionally, where other lens announced? If so, were their prices and availablity announced?

Is there a master chart of the features? Did I my search miss threads that answered these questions? Should I just sit tight until the cameras are out at the end of the year?

Thanks,

David
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,637
When I heard about the 110 I knew there would be some confusion in the marketplace. I'll attempt to explain the differences, but maybe Carl can confirm my accuracy.

The first thing to keep in mind is that (as far as I know) each "higher" model number will contain the feature set of any of the lower numbers. So for example, the HD250 has all the features of the HD200, plus some other additions.

We all know what the HD100 has, but the HD110 will additionally have:
  • Black & white viewfinder display mode
  • Simultaneous use of both eyepiece viewfinder and tri-mode LCD display when powered by Anton Bauer or IDX battery system
  • Selectable mirror mode on vertically flipped LCD display
  • Adjustable setting of FOCUS ASSIST function
  • Choice of 3 image formats on composite out (letterbox, squeeze, side cut)
  • User-selectable ON/OFF DNR level menu setting
  • 13 segments audio level indicator
  • Manual audio control within FAS (Full auto shooting) mode
  • Audio limiter available in manual mode
  • Parallel power off management of DR-HD100 recorder

The HD200 should have all the features of the HD110 (Is this right Carl?) as well as:
  • 720P60 encoded recording to tape (HDV)
  • Image inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.)
  • Mysterious new gamma curves!

The HD250 will have all the features of the HD200 as well as:
  • BNC connectors
  • SDI OUT
  • Timecode IN/OUT plus GENLOCK for slaving multiple cameras
  • Studio 26-pin configuration (KY-HD250 Studio Adapter) with remote CCU control
  • Direct pro mount for a professional battery system (Anton Bauer or IDX)
  • RCA audio out instead of the 1/8" jack
  • 4-pin XLR battery connector
The HD250 will be sold WITHOUT a bundled lens.

Yes, the HZ-CA13U 16mm PL mount adapter will fit all of the cameras, including the original HD100. However, operating with the HD100 and a 16mm lens will be difficult because up will be down and right will be left.

There were new lenses announced at NAB. Two from Fujinon and one from Canon.
Please read my report from NAB for more info.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=66002
__________________
Tim Dashwood
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
When I heard about the 110 I knew there would be some confusion in the marketplace. I'll attempt to explain the differences, but maybe Carl can confirm my accuracy.

The first thing to keep in mind is that (as far as I know) each "higher" model number will contain the feature set of any of the lower numbers. So for example, the HD250 has all the features of the HD200, plus some other additions.

We all know what the HD100 has, but the HD110 will additionally have:
  • Black & white viewfinder display mode
  • Simultaneous use of both eyepiece viewfinder and tri-mode LCD display when powered by Anton Bauer or IDX battery system
  • Selectable mirror mode on vertically flipped LCD display
  • Adjustable setting of FOCUS ASSIST function
  • Choice of 3 image formats on composite out (letterbox, squeeze, side cut)
  • User-selectable ON/OFF DNR level menu setting
  • 13 segments audio level indicator
  • Manual audio control within FAS (Full auto shooting) mode
  • Audio limiter available in manual mode
  • Parallel power off management of DR-HD100 recorder

The HD200 should have all the features of the HD110 (Is this right Carl?) as well as:
  • 720P60 encoded recording to tape (HDV)
  • Image inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.)
  • Mysterious new gamma curves!

The HD250 will have all the features of the HD200 as well as:
  • BNC connectors
  • SDI OUT
  • Timecode IN/OUT plus GENLOCK for slaving multiple cameras
  • Studio 26-pin configuration (KY-HD250 Studio Adapter) with remote CCU control
  • Direct pro mount for a professional battery system (Anton Bauer or IDX)
  • RCA audio out instead of the 1/8" jack
  • 4-pin XLR battery connector
The HD250 will be sold WITHOUT a bundled lens.

Yes, the HZ-CA13U 16mm PL mount adapter will fit all of the cameras, including the original HD100. However, operating with the HD100 and a 16mm lens will be difficult because up will be down and right will be left.

There were new lenses announced at NAB. Two from Fujinon and one from Canon.
Please read my report from NAB for more info.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=66002
Funny thing is, JVC will charge $1,700 more for only these extras on the HD200:
  • 720P60 encoded recording to tape (HDV)
  • Image inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.)
  • Mysterious new gamma curves!

But only $1,000 more for all that extra on the HD250:
  • BNC connectors
  • SDI OUT
  • Timecode IN/OUT plus GENLOCK for slaving multiple cameras
  • Studio 26-pin configuration (KY-HD250 Studio Adapter) with remote CCU control
  • Direct pro mount for a professional battery system (Anton Bauer or IDX)
  • RCA audio out instead of the 1/8" jack
  • 4-pin XLR battery connector

Go figure.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Funny thing is, JVC will charge $1,700 more for only these extras on the HD200:
  • 720P60 encoded recording to tape (HDV)
  • Image inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.)
  • Mysterious new gamma curves!

But only $1,000 more for all that extra on the HD250:
  • BNC connectors
  • SDI OUT
  • Timecode IN/OUT plus GENLOCK for slaving multiple cameras
  • Studio 26-pin configuration (KY-HD250 Studio Adapter) with remote CCU control
  • Direct pro mount for a professional battery system (Anton Bauer or IDX)
  • RCA audio out instead of the 1/8" jack
  • 4-pin XLR battery connector

Go figure.
The HD100, HD110, and HD200 all include the standard lens for the price.

The HD250 does not include a lens for the base price.

I have read that the new encoder is the main increase in expense in the new 200/250 cameras. Thus, there may not necessarily be a huge difference between the 200 and 250 as both cameras share the same encoder (the basic price increase) and the 250 then has additional connectors, wiring, etc., for the extra cost, and don't forget to add the cost of the lens. Since the 250 is more studio oriented, I presume many users would want a different lens for that use than they would for the primary uses of the 100, 110 and 200.

I have also read that pricing is not final.

I just bought an HD110 and it cost a little more than what the HD100 was selling for, but no battery promotion. The HD110 and HD111 in Europe are significantly more than the HD100 and HD101... though there is currently a promotion in many countries in Europe giving away Avid Liquid.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
The HD110 and HD111 in Europe are significantly more than the HD100 and HD101... though there is currently a promotion in many countries in Europe giving away Avid Liquid.
With the HD100 or HD110?

I still think the HD250 packs much more for less. The enconder can't be that much more. Isn't it basically just a codec update?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
With the HD100 or HD110?

I still think the HD250 packs much more for less. The enconder can't be that much more. Isn't it basically just a codec update?
It is the HD110e and HD111. Here is the info:
http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/131035.aspx

It is my understanding that the 200/250 have an entirely new encoder with different chips. Twice as much data must be processed in the same amount of time. The current encoder physically cannot process HDV 60p.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Funny thing is, JVC will charge $1,700 more for only these extras on the HD200:
  • 720P60 encoded recording to tape (HDV)
  • Image inversion recorded to tape for use with 35mm homebuilt adapters (like redrock micro, G35, etc.)
  • Mysterious new gamma curves!

But only $1,000 more for all that extra on the HD250:
  • BNC connectors
  • SDI OUT
  • Timecode IN/OUT plus GENLOCK for slaving multiple cameras
  • Studio 26-pin configuration (KY-HD250 Studio Adapter) with remote CCU control
  • Direct pro mount for a professional battery system (Anton Bauer or IDX)
  • RCA audio out instead of the 1/8" jack
  • 4-pin XLR battery connector

Go figure.
Actually the $1,700 is worth it just for the 60p encoder alone. One of the only arguments in my opinion that has ever held up when comparing 1080i HDV and 720p HDV is the fact that for broadcast work 30p just wasn't as smooth in terms of movement. With 60p broadcast shooters will finally be able to work on 60p HDTV programs. Now this isn't a big deal to me since I mostly want 24p but for many this is a huge issue.

As for the 250 camera add an extra couple thousand to that price tag to buy a lens since it doesn't come with one. This means the 250 will end up costing a lot more than the 200.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,719
The way I look at it is

HD100 is still fine if all you will ever do is straight 24p work.
HD200 is great for people shooting 60p for broadcast work on the road.
HD250 is great for 60p broadcast work in a studio.

Even for 24p work however the HD200 may be better because of the newer design for the encoder chip. The quality may be a little bit better and some artifact issues may be resolved. We will not really know for sure until somebody actually has a HD200.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,195
Will that 60p not give you an option for real slow motion too?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #10
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Will that 60p not give you an option for real slow motion too?
Yes. At present the alternative option is to shoot 50p or 60p SD and upres it to HD.

S. Noe has tutorials on line that show how to do this in Avid Liquid.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network