DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   720/30p to 720/60p is it better (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/71177-720-30p-720-60p-better.html)

Robert Bale July 9th, 2006 08:49 PM

720/30p to 720/60p is it better

I an fed up with getting no having smooth paning shots. EG left to right and so on. If i am trying to film a cars do a burnouts and racing, the shot is starting at the ground behind the car and then paning (walking) around to the driver this is quite a fast walk more like a spin.My problem is when i try to slow it down SLOW MO, it has motion tails or looks very jittery.If i do the same shot with the sony hdv works ok. I want to use the hd 101 all the time, i have the camera setup at 720/30p should it be set up at 720/60p, i haven't tried it yet as not shure what work flow to use. The films are for a hot rod club at a drag meeting, it has to be shot in NTSC not pal that why i will use the JVC.Hopr some one can help.

Paolo this is what i was wat to talk about,i can call you if you want to talk more. Just drop me a email.

rob.

Paolo Ciccone July 9th, 2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale
I an fed up with getting no having smooth paning shots. EG left to right and s i have the camera setup at 720/30p should it be set up at 720/60p, i haven't tried it yet as not shure what work flow to use. The films are for a hot rod club at a drag meeting, it has to be shot in NTSC not pal that why i will use the JVC.Hopr some one can help.

Paolo this is what i was wat to talk about,i can call you if you want to talk more. Just drop me a email.

rob.

Hi Rob.
My schedule is kinda hectic right now. I'm rarely at home and between driving, flying and shooting, plus the time difference between us, it's pretty hard to resolve this via phone.
If you want to shoot slomo and you are outside, as drag races are usually performed in the outdoors :), you can use HD-SD50. This gives you 576 lines of resolution instead of 480. On the other hand HD-SD60 "overcranks" more. I'm assuming that you will conform the footage to 24fps. The other step you need to perform is to set the shutter speed at a higher level. 1/100th for example. This gives you a sharper image. Of course, you'll need to compensate the aperture since you're getting less light in the camera. Also, be sure that the "Image Smoothing" setting is off.
Try that and you should be fine.

Jonathan Ames July 9th, 2006 11:16 PM

Sometimes Paolo and I agree, sometimes we don't. In this instance, I shoot standard 720/30p, capture to PP2.0 and simply use the NLE to simulate the slomo by reducing the playback by 50%. Now, it should be well-noterd here that real slo-mo and simulated slo-mo are 2 dfferent things. Shooting out the back of the camera at 60fps can be reduced in the NLE to 30 efectively reducing the motion to 50% whereas the 30p is not the same. However, I have had great success with the appearance of either one. Note also that your pan should not exceed 3 degree per second, virtually the same as film. I've shot closeups at Irwindale and LACR of the drags, backoffs as the Christmas tree lights down and followed the car out of a bleach pit through the smoke, all at 720/30p reduced in the NLE to 50% and it worked great.

Stephen L. Noe July 9th, 2006 11:42 PM

Since the 480p60 uprezzes so well, I'd go with it. You'll get great slow motion and you can uprez the image if you need to.

Rob, what is your delivery method? DVD? WMV?

Robert Bale July 10th, 2006 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Hi Rob.
On the other hand HD-SD60 "overcranks" more. I'm assuming that you will conform the footage to 24fps. .

Thanks i will try that not sure about the conform stuff yet.

Has any one know there is a post on this re conform to 24p???

rob.

David Knaggs July 10th, 2006 03:50 AM

Hi Robert.

Your Final Cut Pro (FCP) software should contain the "Cinema Tools" application as part of it. You can use this to conform (change) the frame rates of each Quicktime movie (clip).

Tim Dashwood has made a number of posts in this forum concerning conforming with Cinema Tools. An example thread is this one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55057

(See step number 2 of Post#4)

Robert Bale July 10th, 2006 04:13 AM

thanks david.

Robert Bale July 12th, 2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Hi Rob.
. I'm assuming that you will conform the footage to 24fps. The other step
Try that and you should be fine.

I had a go at it and all looks ok.... but some how i had two other files in the test folder and it changed them as well. but i didnt want to do that, so how do i undo the conform to the other two files and set them back to how they were. The footage had a frame rate of 25p not it looks and sounds very slow.

rob.

Paolo Ciccone July 13th, 2006 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale
I had a go at it and all looks ok.... but some how i had two other files in the test folder and it changed them as well. but i didnt want to do that, so how do i undo the conform to the other two files and set them back to how they were. The footage had a frame rate of 25p not it looks and sounds very slow.

Yes, the conforming slows down your footage, what you wanted to do in this case and so the audio is not usable unless you want to use the "molasses voice" effect :)
I'm not aware of a "undo" feature so you should convert the footage back to normal using other means. When I use the "batch conform" I usually move the clips in a separate folder and then conform that folder.