Slow-Motion example with 25P and Time-warp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Slow-Motion example with 25P and Time-warp

Here is some test footage I made with 720p25 to get a beautifull slow-motion effect without the need of shooting SD60p.
When I saw the rendering, my mouth fell wide open. I wanted to share this rendering to show what is possible now-a-days with software:
www.mc-productions.be/HD100/TimeWarpSample.wmv

It's in WMV-HD for now, because for some reason my AspectHD doesn't want to export to m2t files anymore since build 60 and up.

I used Time-Warp from Adobe After Effects Pro 7.0 with the default time-warp settings. It's warped to 25 %, this means it would require 100 frames per second secording to achive the same result. See for yourself.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #2
New Boot

Slo-mo with after effects

Just curious... how long did it take after effects to render that few seconds of video? Looked nice by the way!
Scott Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Gives it a trippy sort of drug induced look... especially where the stick crosses the line of the cymbal stand.

Not quite the same as a real slo-mo, but I can see where it might have it's use.

I'm going to be going out and doing some tests like this of my own, but thinking i'll try the sd60p to 30p for a %50 slowdown first, then try adding effects and additional slowdown if it works for me.
Adam Oas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Oas
Gives it a trippy sort of drug induced look... especially where the stick crosses the line of the cymbal stand.

Not quite the same as a real slo-mo, but I can see where it might have it's use.

I'm going to be going out and doing some tests like this of my own, but thinking i'll try the sd60p to 30p for a %50 slowdown first, then try adding effects and additional slowdown if it works for me.
I will add more vectors, the default settings are 20 vectors. With the detailed drumset it needs more. I will do some more renderings and tests during the next coming days.
The render-time is not representative at the moment since my Laptop does not have enough memory at the moment to run AE properly.
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Marc,
The slow-mo looks very nice for starting from 25p. Much better than a regular NLE could do on it's own. I was wondering what a smooth workflow might be for doing this regularly (25-50 clips in a sequence)? Are you running Premiere?
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes I'm editing with Premiere since 12 years.
The slo-mo effect itself was made with After Effects.
With the Adobe Production Suite it's very easy to load an After Effects composition within a Premiere project. It acts like a video source to be placed on the Premiere time-line. So editing is easy with stuff made from After Effects. One could also render the video in After Effects and then import the video into premiere, but then the workflow takes more time if you want to adjust something.
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I see. I'm using the Apple production suite and it functions much the same way. Not sure if FCP will take AE comps, though. Apple is supposed to have a nice re-timer called Optical Flow within Compressor, but from my tests it doesn't work very well and takes years to render. The new Shake is supposed to have the same technology but hopefully it works better than it does in Compressor. Anyone using Shake? Does it slow footage down well?
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems