VF Dead after service? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VF Dead after service?

So has anyone else found that they have a dead Viewfinder?

I don't actually know if it's the camera or the Viewfinder that's causing the problem, but I'm actually leaning towards the Viewfinder itself that might be causing the issue...

I took the VF off of my GY-HD100 and put it on my XL2 and now I can't even get the XL2 to power up! AAAAACK!!!!! I really hope I didn't fry something in the XL2!

The VF plugs are the same so I figured that it'd be OK for a second to check & see if it worked on the old camera, but now I get nothing from either the original or the Cannon VF on the JVC (the flip out LCD works fine). Double AAAACK!!!!!!

This was my first powerup of this camera since I got it back from the 'A' upgrade and I've got a shoot coming up soon! Triple AAAAACK!

Last edited by Adam Oas; July 13th, 2006 at 02:47 PM.
Adam Oas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yes Adam, I am afraid you 'screwed the pooch' with that maneuver. The plugs may be the same, but the wiring most definitely is not as you have now discovered. So you have not one, but two fried components.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Talk with me tonight at the meeting if you make it.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, I'm reading about blown master fuses in the XL2 now.... great engineering in that one. Non standard engineering should use non standard plugs!

Hopefully it doesn't cost too incredibly much to get the thing fixed, but in a way it's a good thing because it is probably JVC's issue with my 1st camera, so that I don't have a bad VF from that one and it'll be their bill to fix that one.

I'm feeling a little peeved off at JVC for sending it back like this tho... i've got a bigtime shoot in a few days and I have to decide whether or not to send it back now and hope it'll be back (and nothing else broken on it) in time for the shoot or just limp along with the

See you in a few hours.
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #4
Contributor

I think we must be missing part of the story. Just trying to work out why you did it, and that might explain why it is JVC's fault?????
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Wrangler

Adam,

Go to your dealer, try the VF from a demo camera on your camera and see if it works. If it does, then you know the VF is the problem. If it doesn't, then your camera needs to go back to JVC.

BTW, you aren't supposed to send the VF in with the camera for the A update.
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I didn't send the VF to JVC... I took it off of a working camera and it sat on my desk for a week. When I got my camera back it went straight back onto the camera but I get nothing.

Either, the viewfinder magically broke while sitting on my desk or the camera came back with a bad port. No pins are bent and the port looks to be fine.

The Cannon issue was my own fault, but I just needed to vent a little about that.

I've spoken with the folks at JVC and they said to send it back in to them for a no-charge repair.

Unfortunately this camera was purchased from an online dealer (out of NC) before I started working here, so I'm S-O-L when it comes to getting help from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Adam,

Go to your dealer, try the VF from a demo camera on your camera and see if it works. If it does, then you know the VF is the problem. If it doesn't, then your camera needs to go back to JVC.

BTW, you aren't supposed to send the VF in with the camera for the A update.
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Wrangler

Try pressing and holding the "DISPLAY" button. If you can turn on the EVF with the display button, I wonder if the LCD sensor switch isn't seated properly?
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Good idea, but no joy.
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Contributor

OK I get it - you tried it on the Canon to test the viewfinder, because it wasn't working on the returned unit. Note to self: never try anything like that..
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just as a folow up to this,

Apparently when they re-assembled my camera after the 'a' upgrade, they pinched a wire in the camera making the viewfinder port non functional...

I'm supposed to get the camera back tomorrow.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems