DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   IDX versus AB (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/71588-idx-versus-ab.html)

Brian Luce July 16th, 2006 10:18 AM

IDX versus AB

Which of these two batteries (the models offered as promos) is a better system? Anyone know the pros and cons?

Steve Benner July 16th, 2006 10:20 AM

If you are buying the camera now, then the AB since it's free!

I have the AB system, and it has a runtime of 433 minutes. I love the Gold Mounts of the AB and have no problems with it. I really cannot comment on IDX because I do not use them, but the AB are great.

Daniel Patton July 16th, 2006 10:52 AM

I'm sure you will find that both systems perform about the same and have typical trade offs. The average opinion you will receive on this board towards one or the other will likely weigh heavily on the users familiarity with that system, and not hard use with both systems. Also, keep in mind that more times than not people prefer a given system simply because they currently hold stock on extra batteries already.

Even after using both as we have, I can't say I prefer one over the other. I liked the solid feel of the AB system (But by solid I also mean heavier), and would definitely feel comfortable with purchasing their products outside of a promo. At least the one we used where as described, I have not seen or tried the promo kit so I'm not even sure if it's the same AB system we used. The IDX we received as part of our promo feels slightly lighter and maybe a little more nimble, but not as solid. Know what I mean?

Regardless what system you go with, you will get the same battery life from the similarly matched battery. So then it' all about cost and company and who you can rely on. Or... who is willing to give you the system for free as part of a promo. ;)

Keith Ward July 16th, 2006 10:57 AM

I've got the IDX system, both the 7s and 10s batteries. I love 'em. Haven't had any problems at all, and I was shooting for 10 days in mid-June, at least 12 hours per day, and never ran out of power. One thing the salesman mentioned to me was that the IDX system is much easier to mount on the camera. I don't know how the AB system mounts, but the IDX took me about 60 seconds to prepare and mount.

Scott Jaco July 16th, 2006 11:28 AM

If you do a little technical research, you will find that the A/B promotion gives you a battery with a higher Watt/hr time.

IDX has much more cost effective batteries that give you more Watt/hr for less $$$.

Example: (2) IDX E7's = 142Whrs Cost $380 VS. (1) AB Dionic = 91Whrs Cost $400

Jonathan Nelson July 16th, 2006 11:35 AM

The IDX systems seem to be pretty popular and they are included in most of the electronics advertised in the video mags. I like the v mount option and being able to slap on bricks as you shoot as well as being able to add other devices such as ddrs that have the vmount.

I am still waiting for my ab kits from the jvc promo and so I can't really comment on the quality but I am very impressed with my idx systems.

Quick question - How long does it usually take for those AB promo kits to arrive?

Steve Benner July 16th, 2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson

Quick question - How long does it usually take for those AB promo kits to arrive?

Three/Four Weeks.

Jonathan Nelson July 16th, 2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Benner
Three/Four Weeks.

Thanx Steve,

I should get it in the next few weeks. Hope I did the paper work correctly.

Steve Benner July 16th, 2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
Thanx Steve,

I should get it in the next few weeks. Hope I did the paper work correctly.

No problem, I was shocked that it didn't take the 6-8 weeks as stated, but after the IDX diaster, JVC was probably pushing this promotion better.

Scott Harper July 16th, 2006 01:27 PM

I have the AB system but have problems with accuracy in the "real time display" on the battery. (I.E. how much charge is left on the battery.) It reads "3" right up to the end, then dies. There is no 3,2,1 countdown with any accuracy. I've swapped out batteries three different times as well as the charger, but the problem is still there. I sent my camera in to JVC for the "A" upgrade and left a note for them to check this battery problem out but they obviously didn't. After reading the fine print when I got my camera back I realized when you send the camera in to them for the "A" upgrade all you get IS the upgrade, nothing more. Any other problems, I guess, you have to send it off to them again- at a cost of $250 for shipping and insurance!!!

Scott Jaco July 16th, 2006 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Benner
No problem, I was shocked that it didn't take the 6-8 weeks as stated, but after the IDX diaster, JVC was probably pushing this promotion better.

Weird. It only took 2 weeks to get my IDX kit. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Gary Williams July 17th, 2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce
Which of these two batteries (the models offered as promos) is a better system? Anyone know the pros and cons?

I personaly am not that impressed with the IDX its ok its light but I think the AB package is a better battery and since I have had my IDX I have not bought another ES-7 infact I found a much better battery with a power out plug in the battery itself, so with this battery I have more power and two power out plugs one in the battery itself and one on the mounting bracket and for almost the same price as an ES-7. Check it out for your self. $215.00 + shipping and alot more powerful than the ES-7
http://www.batteries4broadcast.com/hd100.htm

Brian Luce July 18th, 2006 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Williams
I found a much better battery with a power out plug in the battery itself, so with this battery I have more power and two power out plugs one in the battery itself and one on the mounting bracket and for almost the same price as an ES-7. Check it out for your self. $215.00 + shipping and alot more powerful than the ES-7
http://www.batteries4broadcast.com/hd100.htm

is the power out plug for running things like firestore, on camera lightis? Does AB have that feature?

K. Forman July 18th, 2006 05:16 AM

I was going to ask the same thing, but Brian beat me to it. What does that plug go to? And more important, is it a standard plug? I mean, am I going to be faced with 3 similar types of plugs, and bring home the wrong stuff... again.

By the way, I have the AB kit.

Daniel Patton July 18th, 2006 08:36 AM

Do a search on D-Tap (D-Tap Power) to find out more, it's talked about a fair amount here at DVinfo.

You can power an on board light, etc. (have not checked out any of the drives). The Lite-Panel, as an example, comes with a D-Tap connector and can be used in place of the more costly Lite-Panel battery. It can plug into the camera batteries D-Tap connector and share it's power source, very handy.

I also have that http://www.batteries4broadcast.com/hd100.htm battery for my IDX and agree, it's better than the IDX supplied ES-7's. And you get that second D-Tap connector on the battey itself.