Corrupted hd100 footage - What is up? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 19th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #31
Capt. Quirk

I just heard back from Jason at Tapeworks Texas. He finally got through to some JVC techs, and the cause of my red flashes is? Survey says- CCD issues! They have a new cam coming my way.

I have never in my life dealt with such dedicated people, like Jason and the gang at TT, and it is so cool! I only wish I had found them sooner! You ROCK guys!
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I just heard back from Jason at Tapeworks Texas. He finally got through to some JVC techs, and the cause of my red flashes is? Survey says- CCD issues! They have a new cam coming my way.
So you sent your camera in to them? Or did they recognize from the description of the symptoms?
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #33
Capt. Quirk

Apparently, I'm not paranoid, like the wife thinks. THEY are watching me! The salesman that sold me the cam, saw my original thread, and called me to find out what was wrong with it. He forwarded the info to my clips to JVC, and they decided it was the CCDs. He is sending the replacement out today.

Did I mention they ROCK!?!
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #34
Major Player

I also bought from TT. I spoke to Jason and Scott, who advised me to call JVC tech support, which I'll do.

Although it sounds like my problem is more like Jonathan Nelson's.... little problem on tape is big problem on NLE. Though the number of drop outs on the tape seems excessive.
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Apparently, I'm not paranoid, like the wife thinks. THEY are watching me! The salesman that sold me the cam, saw my original thread, and called me to find out what was wrong with it. He forwarded the info to my clips to JVC, and they decided it was the CCDs. He is sending the replacement out today.

Did I mention they ROCK!?!
That is awsome!

I tried two or three times to buy my hd100s from them but each time they were either not available or out to lunch. The first time I called them, a person told me that the guy(Scott I think?) that sales the hd100s was out to lunch. I rather had bought my cameras from them but I had to get these things bought soon! No problem, maybe next time.

About the tape issue, something came up that prevented me from doing my test. I am going to try to do it today. My feeling is if the problem is the tape then all the tape brands must be bad. I should get the prohd tapes tomorrow and I will see how those compare to my sonys.

I hope we figure this out because the truth is: I love my hd100 :)
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #36
New Boot

i experienced the same glitches/artifacts. They are problems within those chips. Since I have sent the camera out for the upgrade, the problem has stopped. I think it is just an inherent problem with the 1st gen. JVC's.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #37
Major Player

I just finished reviewing the footage from today's shoot and I can say that I got my first flawless tape. The hd100 that captured the footage had no glitches that I could see but the hd100 used as a vtr produced one frame that stuck for about a second. This only happened once but this is the first time I have seen a stuck frame like that come out of one of these. The hd100 used as a vtr was also the one that captured the first corrupted footage. The rest of the footage looked great, so I can't exactly say that there is something wrong with the camera. I used the sony premium tapes and using the same settings(hdv24p).

I am now certain that this is a tape problem.

I just don't think they make tape perfect enough for the hd100!
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #38
Major Player

Hmmm... I taped about 15 minutes last night, I did have one minor glitch (though I was fiddling around with the settings, maybe that did it). Then I taped about 2 minutes with no problem.

I'll call JVC and try and at least describe the problem. I'd be very happy if it was just a tape issue.
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Well I'm now very anxious to get my upgraded cameras back and see if I can help shed any more light onto this problem. For the time being though - my current box of tapes is labelled 'M2 - WHD02 61' My first box is long gone but was probably from the same batch (they were all purchased together).
Dave Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #40
Major Player

OK, the real problem here is I'm just not very bright?

But I called the JVC professional help line (technical, not mental) and hit the option for getting service with a product. I got a menu to find a service center in my area. Nearest one was in New Jersey, so I called them and was told to call the professional line.

When I call the 800-JVC-JVC5 number, what number do I gotta push just to talk to someone??
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #41
Capt. Quirk

Good question. I called, waited, got the JVC Proline number, called, waited some more. The same guy answered the phone, and still had no answer. Not the best support help, but I've dealt with worse.
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #42
Major Player

Well, I was able to get to someone, but they said they didn't recognize the symptoms as a known problem. He did suggest trying yet another tape, and see if I could reproduce the problem.

I have some other JVC ProHD tapes.... I also have Panasonic Master Quality tapes around. I might try both (though dare I mix tape brands?)
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #43
Major Player

I think you can mix tape brands as long as you clean the heads before switching. Don't take my word for it because I have never done it before but I have read alot of threads that recommend cleaning the heads before any tape brand switching. Seems to make sence becuase different tape brands use different lubes.

I am going to use two types of tape for a wedding I have this weekend and I will post how it went. I am going to use a sony tape on one hd100 and a prohd tape on the other hd100.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #44
Capt. Quirk

You know, of course, if you use any tape other than the recommended JVC tape, that is what they'll blame it on.
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
You know, of course, if you use any tape other than the recommended JVC tape, that is what they'll blame it on.
I guess that is expected. I would happily pay $10 for tape if I knew it would yield perfect footage. I bought 5 of the jvcpro tapes and I can't wait to use them this weekend.

If everyone is having problems with the jvcpro tapes, then something needs to be done to correct this problem. I almost wonder if the heads that are writing the info are too sensitive. Like I said before, most of my xp is with canons and they never had this problem - ever. This is totally new to me. I have always looked at tape as a very reliable recording medium.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems