DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HDV rack on a laptop? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/71799-hdv-rack-laptop.html)

Brian Luce July 19th, 2006 05:39 AM

HDV rack on a laptop?

It seems the hdv rack plug in requires a cpu equivalent to 3.2 ghz? laptops aren't that powerful are they? arent the high end units under 2 ghz?

Jack Walker July 19th, 2006 11:33 AM

From the DVRack for HDV FAQ. here are the requirements:
---------------------------------------------------------------
What are the system requirements for HDV capture and playback?

Here are the additional specs for the HDV PowerPack:

CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4, Intel® Celeron®, Intel® Pentium® M, or AMD Athlon XP® processor or equivalent (3.2 GHz recommended)

256 MB RAM

32 MB AGP graphics card with 3D acceleration (64 MB NVIDIA GeForce™ or 64 MB ATI Radeon™ class card recommended)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Marc Colemont July 19th, 2006 05:22 PM

What matters a lot also is the harddrive. On a laptop you can't have multiple drives in one housing.
I made a workaround partitioning my harddrive and placed my OS on the last part (closest to the center of the physical drive were the datarate is lower).
My 'video drive' partition I always quick format for each new project. This way I'm sure the drive has no defragmantations on that partition.

Joachim Claus July 20th, 2006 02:54 AM

HDV Rack on a Laptop

I have used DVRack/HDV-Rack on two different Laptops, one very simple with a mobile P4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, nvida Geforce FX Go 5300, the other a mobile workstation (Fujitsu-Siemens Celsius H240. In both cases HDV-Rack worked fine with a GY-HD101E connected to it.
Regards,
Joachim

Brian Luce July 20th, 2006 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Claus
I have used DVRack/HDV-Rack on two different Laptops, one very simple with a mobile P4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, nvida Geforce FX Go 5300, the other a mobile workstation (Fujitsu-Siemens Celsius H240. In both cases HDV-Rack worked fine with a GY-HD101E connected to it.
Regards,
Joachim

I look at laptops all day yesterday, not one was above 2 ghz--the threshold for hdv rack. I email SM last week and so far no reply. I'm living in Asia, maybe the the laptops, like the beer, are less powerful.

Keith Ward July 20th, 2006 04:27 AM

Brian,

Try www.alienware.com. Lots of very powerful laptops. I've got an MJ-12 Series laptop, and it's great. I got mine last year, and it has a 3.4 GHz P4 in it, along with 2 GB RAM and dual 100GB hard drives. Plenty powerful enough for HDV Rack.

Drew Curran July 20th, 2006 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce
I look at laptops all day yesterday, not one was above 2 ghz--the threshold for hdv rack. I email SM last week and so far no reply. I'm living in Asia, maybe the the laptops, like the beer, are less powerful.

Brian

The latest dual core processors are not clocked as fast, but give higher performance than a P4 3.2. So they in theory they should be more than adequate.

Dell are doing some good deals on dual core laptops.

Andrew

Steve Mullen July 20th, 2006 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Brian

The latest dual core processors are not clocked as fast, but give higher performance than a P4 3.2. So they in theory they should be more than adequate.

Dell are doing some good deals on dual core laptops.

Andrew

They are -- a Dual Core is about 2X faster than a Pentium 4. Serious Magic needs to update their site as they are behind the times.

For may users -- just get an Intel based laptop.