Focus Assist at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Focus Assist

Ok, well if those whose been reading my posts, knows I'm a newbie....sort of.
How does this focus assist do anything? How does it work -- or how do I focus with it? Next question is what's the RGB settings, is there a purpose for each one?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I'mnew to this cam too, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger dude.

The focus assist is supposed to form a tight blue line around the edges in your viewfinder when you are focused. With me, it's like looking at a 3D movie without the glasses. But, not only am I new to this cam, I'm also old. It's getting harder to trust my eyes. Most other folks feed the image out to a HD monitor, to make sure the focus is right. I don't have those nice toys yet, so I have to go with what I see in the VF. Something that does help me, is the Peaking knob, up on the handle. Crank it all the way up, and it rings the focused subject in white.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
movie without the glasses. But, not only am I new to this cam, I'm also old.
You crack me up, Keith.

You can also set the focus assist color to green or red. I find green to be the best, especially in low light.

I use peaking more often because it amps the details up so much that it makes it pretty easy to tell what is in focus even when there is not enough highlights.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
You crack me up, Keith.

You can also set the focus assist color to green or red. I find green to be the best, especially in low light.

I use peaking more often because it amps the details up so much that it makes it pretty easy to tell what is in focus even when there is not enough highlights.
Just between you and me? I think I also crack "THEM" up, which is why "THEY" let me hang out here ;)
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Focus Assist draws colored pixels wherever it detects a sharp edge. When you achieve focus the edge should appear to jump out at you.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok....well i'll keep trying, as far as I know, going from 1ft to infinity doesnt change much. For instance their will be things in the bg colored as well as the foreground, so hard to tell which is in focus, only way I can tell is by guestimating the distance. Another thing I noticed is the focus ring actually moves the lens into the image slightly, do you get this?
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:51 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
Ok....well i'll keep trying, as far as I know, going from 1ft to infinity doesnt change much. For instance their will be things in the bg colored as well as the foreground, so hard to tell which is in focus, only way I can tell is by guestimating the distance. Another thing I noticed is the focus ring actually moves the lens into the image slightly, do you get this?
To maximize the effect of the focus assist:
--open the lens all the way (use the neutral density filters and/or the shutter speed if necessary to get an approximately correct exposure--this is not for shooting, just to observe the focus assist function)
--zoom in on something across the room or across the yard that is isolated from other objects by distance--that is all objects in front and bac and to the sides are at least several feet away.

Now turn on the focus assist and adjust the focus. The edges of the object will show the color when in focus. The lens wide open and the zoom in will limit the depth of field to maximize the effect of the focus assist when the isolated object is in focus.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
hmm, not sure what you mean when you say that you can't tell the difference between the focus of the bg and foreground. Are you at wide angle?

I believe the focus ring question is related to the heavy breathing of the stock fuji lens. It sure does breath! I hate those 800 dollar lenses! ;)
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

haha. Well guess that answers the movement. Anyways what I meant was, yes I am shooting wide angle, I hate zoom lenses period, so I try to stay mostly wide as I can and go from there. I guess focus assist really doesn't help much in wide.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:37 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
haha. Well guess that answers the movement. Anyways what I meant was, yes I am shooting wide angle, I hate zoom lenses period, so I try to stay mostly wide as I can and go from there. I guess focus assist really doesn't help much in wide.
If you are wide angle (and have the lens irised down) you will show color on everything with focus assist because everything is basically in focus.

If part of the picture is key, zoom in and focus on this, then zoom back to ensure the key element is in precise focus. However, be sure the back focus is setup correctly so focus will be the same on both ends of the zoom.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Oh boy. I really am an idiot today. I totally forgot with zoom lenses. Zoom onto the subject, focus it, then zoom back out. Sorry guys ( :

Any news on what the new adapter that JVC is coming out with will cost? And when?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems