DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC HD10 or Sony HVR-A1U as companion to my 2 HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/72177-jvc-hd10-sony-hvr-a1u-companion-my-2-hd100.html)

Ian Mora July 24th, 2006 01:23 PM

JVC HD10 or Sony HVR-A1U as companion to my 2 HD100

I'd like a third smaller cam to take to shoots for 3rd angle close-ups, backup etc. I have a range of $3,000. I'd like to get a good image, but one that is also of similar workflow to the hd100. I know that many people bag on the jvc hd10, but I like keeping in the same brand. Is this silly? Is the sony a better cam, or is it better to stick to similar brands. I wish I could shoot and for myself,...wondering if anybody had any experience.

Jonathan Nelson July 24th, 2006 01:32 PM

I had the same question and desire you had. After some research I found that it would take alot of tweaking to get the hd10 to look like hd100.

I have never done it before but I wouldnt recommend it. You could probably go farther with a fx1 or similar camera.

Daniel Weber July 24th, 2006 01:42 PM

I agree that the FX1 or the A1 would be better cameras, but you are trying to match 1080i footage with 720p footage. I would think that it would be better to stick with the same format, than to just go with the "better" camera.

Just my opinion since I have to tried to accomplish this. I do shoot with both the HD100, the Z1 and the A1 and find that the footage looks totally different. Even the difference between the Z1 and the A1 is drastic.

Dan Weber

Ian Mora July 24th, 2006 02:48 PM

I figured

That's what I figured. I will probably get the HD10,....and since it shoots 720/30p I'll shoot with the the HD100 in 720/30p as well. I'm thinking that the hd10 shots will be in black and white and mostly close-ups. I actually want a distinct look for some of the shots,....much like the old HBO series Reverb,....where they shot live bands playing,.....many of the shots were black and white/shakier style/different look,....so it's not super important that they look a bit different. I agree it would be impossible to make seemless cuts without noticing a difference. Plus the hd10 is cheaper. 8)

Jonathan Nelson July 24th, 2006 07:23 PM

I would be very interested in seeing how that setup works out. I might even pick one of those up if the footage can be matched.

Jemore Santos July 25th, 2006 02:20 AM

Ian you can match the HD100 settings to the HD10 but can't get the HD10 to match the HD100.

Steve Mullen July 25th, 2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
I would think that it would be better to stick with the same format, than to just go with the "better" camera.

Very well put.

Moreover, the A1 has a very well known problem with not being able to record saturated red. Red goes toward magenta. This not too noticible by itself -- but might stick out when combined with HD100 video.

And, yes I agree that tuning the HD100 to match the HD10 is a very good idea.

Run the HD100 in 30p with Motion Filter OFF.

My HD100 Handbook has an HD1/HD10 Shooting Guide.

Jerry Porter July 25th, 2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Run the HD100 in 30p with Motion Filter OFF.

My HD100 Handbook has an HD1/HD10 Shooting Guide.

I have the book and it is VERY helpfull on alot of topics.

Scott Cantrell July 25th, 2006 12:40 PM

Ian, an additional discrepency in mind is that if you have the JVC VTR, BRHD50U or CUVH1USP, neither of them will playback the Sony's 1080i. Thereby you would need to purchase a Sony VTR HVRM15U or HVRM25U adding additional costs in your budget. (unless of course you are doing all your playback and capturing from your camcorder)

-Scott Cantrell

Tim Dashwood July 25th, 2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
Ian you can match the HD100 settings to the HD10 but can't get the HD10 to match the HD100.

Matching the HD100 to the HD10 would probably be quite easy. I did this with the DVX100 in a few hours with a waveform/vectorscope, a Macbeth chart, and a home-made linear grad.

Unfortunately I don't own a HD10 or HD1, so I can't help you with a scene file.