HD101 24p capture - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #16
Regular Crew

well, this was informative:)

I guess my question goes to Stephen Noe, or anybody with Liquid experience: can you work in a HDV project, but switch it to SD for export to tape?
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima Taheri
well, this was informative:)

I guess my question goes to Stephen Noe, or anybody with Liquid experience: can you work in a HDV project, but switch it to SD for export to tape?
You need to look at this thread. There are 4 video's on HOW to scale HD for SD delivery. Once you watch the videos you should be able to get the job done with no fuss. It's a snap once you know how.

The video series includes Scaling; the difference between the 2d editors; how to create proper slow motion with 50 or 60p.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Stephen:

I installed the 7.1 upgrade, it says 7.1 (build 3494 upgr), but my clips keep coming up blank and with a "!" sign on it. Any ideas why? (I have changed everything in the control panel adding the jvc devices etc.)
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #19
Trustee

Does your about read:

7.1 Build 3494.SP1(3581)VTX

?

If not then go back into Avid's download site and go to the 7.1 folder and get Service Pack 1 for 7.1. This will get you current. I think S.Mullen had the same issue for a while and figured it out (on another thread) although I can't recall what he changed. Keep at it. It's usually something simple.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 04:53 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Stephen

Thank you for the help, it all seems to work. Just wondering though, if I edit on a 720/24p timeline, change the prefs of that timeline to 720x486 16:9 (with the edited 1280*720 footage), and then using the 2D Editor to scale the video to about 67.5%, will that be best quality downconverting in Liquid? That easy?

Have you tried to compare the Liquid downconversion quality against other applications?
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:12 AM   #21
Trustee

Hi Nima,

As I've depicted, you have choices for your down convert. If you're producing DVD's then the simple "properties" way is sufficient. Allowing the program to use it's scaling without special attention to it is sufficient for DVD and for BetaSP dumps. In other words, I try not to create extra work when the simple method is easy and quick with great results. So, yes, it's that easy.

Using one of the 2d editors (CPU or Classic) has much more value when you're attempting to scale HD for filmout or when scaling SD for your HD timeline. Remember that the "Classic" editor is the all powerful editor and allows you to work in YUV color which is better for film because it's gamut is beyond RGB. In answer to your question about scaling quality, when you use the CPU or Classic there is no match on the market at that price range. You'd have to go way up the food chain (NLE wise to something like Discreet Smoke) in order to get the kind of power you have with Liquid's CPU and Classic editors.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems