Nikon or Canon Lenses for the HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon or Canon Lenses for the HD100

Hi Guys,

I looking to buy a JVC-GY-HD100. I read somewhere that you can use your old canon or nikon lenses with it. Is anybody doing that? and if so, what do I need and how much does it cost?

Also, I i think I remember the JVC guy telling me at broadcast live conference (in London) that there's a model coming out that you can undercrank or over-crank, but the dealor hadn't heard of it. Anybody know anything about that?

Thanks in advance,
Vasi.
Vasi Hasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Major Player

I think your talking about the Red Rock M2 adaptor or the Letus adaptor. Do a serach on them you'll find tons of info. Also see thier websites for more info as well.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Jerry,

isn't the redrock an attachment on the lens itself? for cameras with non-interchangeable lenses?

I guess I'm looking for the right bayonet - if there is one for the old nikon and canon lenses. I was wondering if anybody uses those lenses with the HD100.

Vasi.
Vasi Hasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Red Rock also has a mount for the HD100, So does letus. As far as just putting a SLR lens on the front of the camera I have seen it done here on DVi, but it took some MAJOR doctoring of the lens and it was a canon 50mm I think. The post was in the past couple of weeks on this forum. So look around and you'll find it.
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Jerry Porter]Red Rock also has a mount for the HD100, So does letus. As far as just putting a SLR lens on the front of the camera I have seen it done here on DVi, but it took some MAJOR doctoring of the lens and it was a canon 50mm I think. QUOTE]

Is this accurate? I thought there WAS a simple adaptor for adapting a nikon lens. Seemed like guys were using long lenses for nature photography.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Major Player

[QUOTE=Brian Luce]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter
Red Rock also has a mount for the HD100, So does letus. As far as just putting a SLR lens on the front of the camera I have seen it done here on DVi, but it took some MAJOR doctoring of the lens and it was a canon 50mm I think. QUOTE]

Is this accurate? I thought there WAS a simple adaptor for adapting a nikon lens. Seemed like guys were using long lenses for nature photography.

If that's the case I'd really like to see it. I could be totally wrong. I HOPE I AM! I have thousands of dollars of Nikon lenses that I would love to use on the front of my HD100
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
In fact, there are two of them. Zoerk and Les Bosher have both made F-mount adapters.

Andrew Young used the Zoerk adapter for the amazing long-lens footage he shot for the Madagascar doc. (Look at the shot of the frog on the linked page.)
Here's an article if you are interested: http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2...ar.pdf?id=6228

Yusuf Thakur has also been using it with great success.

Both are members here at dvinfo.net. Try searching for posts by either of them with the keyword "Nikon"
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Well dam you learn something new every day. Now off to order one of those!!
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
In fact, there are two of them.
Both are members here at dvinfo.net. Try searching for posts by either of them with the keyword "Nikon"
But these are all for telephoto stuff right? This rig still doesn't give us our prized wide angles capability?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
But these are all for telephoto stuff right? This rig still doesn't give us our prized wide angles capability?
A mm is a mm with these adapters. So if you use a 18mm Nikon lens, it would have the exact same FOV as setting the HD100 stock lens to 18mm.
The widest Nikon lens I know of is the 10.5mm fisheye, which of course would not be very wide on the 1/3" CCD.
The advantage is definitely for telephoto because you would have access to long lenses like 300mm.

If you want to match the FOV of 35mm, then you need a device like the mini35.
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help guys - this is what I've dug up so far:

P+S technic $8000 basic unit (old one on ebay at the moment, the 300 series going for around 3k last time i checked)

Redrock M2

Letus35

The adaptors that have the ground glass thingybob are the ones that give you narrower DOF, because the lens projects the image on the glass and then you capture it with your stock lens.

So if you use the Nikon lenses (or any other lenses) with just a bayonet mount it wouldn't really give a narrow DOF because its still using the 1/3" CCD. Is that correct?

I think it might be useful to use the telephoto lenses with the bayonets, say upwards of 120mm?

The bayonets are made by lesbosher.co.uk and also South London Filters here in the U.K (020 7735 1900) - or so I've been told.
Vasi Hasan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems