3 problems/questions regarding the GY-HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

3 problems/questions regarding the GY-HD100

Hi all,

I had the GY-HD100E for 3 months and used it for ENG, interviews and sports videography.
I especially like its simple user interface, its weight and its picture quality, I truly believe its the best cost effective camera out there.

Still 3 things I can't figure out:

1. I use the AntonBauer battery bracket + battery, when the power is running out the camera just shuts down without any warning. Even the voltage remains on 7.3v in the View Finder display.

2. After replacing the battery, the camera loses its T.C sequence and I didn't find a simple and fast way to regain it.

3. I use the Sony tripod base with a Cartoni Alfa tripod. between the rear end of the camera and the tripod base there is a small gap. I stuck there a little piece of wood but wondering if the JVC tripod base isn't the better solution

Thanks for your help
Shai Camerini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Shai Shalom, ma nish ma?

You are absolutely right about the JVC camera being one of the best for ENG uses (Light, cheap, great SD picture quality).
I use it alot as an ENG camera for a leading world news broadcaster.
Sorry, can not help you with the AB questions since I am using the IDX.
Regarding the tripod plate: it is the same case with a JVC one, and if you ask me it is just a bad part design.

Take care!
Opher (Johnnie)
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #3
New Boot

I got through to Anton Bauer tech support yesterday about a similar problem with the gold-mount adapter. In my case (and maybe yours) the slightest bump on the battery broke the connection and power went off momentarily and timecode broke. The tech said that the screws at the top have to be screwed down all the way (and using the washers underneath). It should seem like you are overtightening it to get the snug fit.

As for the timecode break, there is a slider switch behind the LCD door in the TC box. Under "GENE." I think the "REGEN" option is supposed to make the camera read the previous few frames from the tape when the camera is powered up and continue timecode from there.

Good Luck,

-Joe
Joe Barbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replays guys

The "GENE" switch IS in the "REGEN" mode, but still I have TC brakes every time the battery power goes off.
Pressing the "RET" button on the lens just rewind the tape, but stops the tape after the TC breaks.

What's up with that?
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #5
Contributor

If you are actually using an AB dionic or hytron then you should be getting the time display in the VF/LCD. Generic gold mount batteries do not have the necessary electronics.

If you are not getting the display you either need to make sure it is correctly set to display "time" in the VF (a page onthe VF/LCD menu) or you need to have a firmware upgrade. It is part of the "A" upgrade in the US but elsewhere you will need to contact your local JVC distributor for their upgrade policy.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

OK Thats sates the AB problem

What about the TC regain command? dose any one know how to tell the camera to find the last TC?
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai Camerini
What about the TC regain command? dose any one know how to tell the camera to find the last TC?
REGEN does work, but as with any camera you NEED to allow for post-roll before you button off.
This is a procedure that became second nature in my betacam days, but it is just as important with digital acquisition.

So leave at least 10 seconds of post roll before you button off. Then, when you swap your battery, back the tape up about 5 seconds (you can use VTR mode) and then STOP it with the stop button.
The TC reader needs to read TC before it can regen it continuously. If you are starting up at the point recording stopped, it might miss it and start over at 00:00:00:00.
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have a related question:

Is there a way to playback entire takes (3-4 minutes) and return the last frame recorded, accurately, and without breaking timecode?

I am shooting a narrative short with an actor/director who cannot (obviously) be behind a monitor, so I will have to playback every take at least once. I know there is a way to do this... but am unsure how.

Also, I may have the dr-hd100 by then... if I can scrape the money together. Will this decrease my playback headaches significantly?

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Ben Chace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chace
Is there a way to playback entire takes (3-4 minutes) and return the last frame recorded, accurately, and without breaking timecode?
I do this all time when on set. The RET button will only go back about 15 seconds, so toggle over to VTR mode and rewind the 3-4 minutes and hit play. Once again, just remember to leave about 5-10 seconds of post-roll after the director yells "cut. You need to be on a section of pre-recorded tape in order to REGEN the TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chace
Also, I may have the dr-hd100 by then... if I can scrape the money together. Will this decrease my playback headaches significantly?
Yes... however you will still have to hit the toggle button to go into VTR mode to review your clips, therefore still requiring you to leave some post-roll for when you go back into camera mode.

If all you are interested in is advancing the TC, and not perfectly unbroken TC, then try using REC mode instead of REGEN mode. REC mode simply remembers where the TC generator left off when you buttoned off, and then continues generating from that last value the next time you hit the record button. It won't matter where you are positioned on the tape.
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks for the help!
Ben Chace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I still don't get it

See, I replaced my Sony DSR-300 for the GY-HD100.
In the DSR i had 2 little buttons on the upper left side of the camera, which willing i cold move the tape backward or forward frame by frame to regain TC manually.
I know i should lave 10 sec of recorded black on the tape before powering off the camera, but, since my camera (with its AB look alike batteries) turns off with no warning, its pretty difficult. and i'm still looking for a button that will help me find the TC manually.

anyway thanks for your help
Old July 31st, 2006, 03:26 PM   #12
Trustee

Shai,

How does the HD-100 work in the Israeli weather conditions?

Are there good points and/or problems with the camera due to the local environment/working conditions.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:29 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Seams to me it works excellent regardless of the temperature
Shai Camerini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems