External audio recording device at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 27th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Major Player

External audio recording device

Hi-
I should probably know this, and I did a search for this question, didn't see the answer.

I was talking to a sound recordist who may be working on a production with me and my HD 100. He asked me if his portable DAT could be connected to the HD 100 so the sound from his DAT would be synced to the video.

My honest was 'I don't know'. I've always recorded directly into the camera.

Is it possible to do this? If there's a thread I missed or external link that discusses this, any guidance would be great.....
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Trustee

somebody is looking for job security... less than well documented but the JVC Does put down PCM audio while in HDV mode - 48K 16bit same as DAT. You will have to make two passes to capture - one in HDV mode for the picture, a second in DV mode for AUDIO ONLY. Since its all matching TC, its doable. I really wish that one could get the PCM audio while capturing HDV, but thats not "spec"... to which I say, who cares, lets have FCP and PP be able to capture it. So that said - you could feed the 1/8" stereo live level out and feed that to the DAT, using an appropaite adaptor, but why ? since you can't get TC out of the JVC, you'll have to sync by hand. If you load the audio from the DV tape with two pass capture, its all got matching TC and machine control, making re-syncing a mindless bunch of clicking, nothing more to lock eveyrthing up.

If you really want to - have the sound guy run lines from the mics into his mixer, then feed that to the camera, and DAT so he can feel good about pushing the red button.

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley
somebody is looking for job security... less than well documented but the JVC Does put down PCM audio while in HDV mode - 48K 16bit same as DAT.
Steve Oakley
Exactly where can I read how to do this?
Does this eliminate that regular audio recorded with HDV?
Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Trustee

here you go

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=hdv+pcm

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

and the conclusion?

At the conclusion of that thread, Steve Mullen suggests the PCM audio is single track and distorted.
Can someone save me the trouble of testing this myself and confirm they've captured clear, PCM audio when capturing with dv settings?
Otherwise I'll be using a mixer with a line-out to the edirol r-09 for .wav, and breakaway cables to the camera for back-up .m2t sound.
James Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Daniels
At the conclusion of that thread, Steve Mullen suggests the PCM audio is single track and distorted.
Can someone save me the trouble of testing this myself and confirm they've captured clear, PCM audio when capturing with dv settings?
Otherwise I'll be using a mixer with a line-out to the edirol r-09 for .wav, and breakaway cables to the camera for back-up .m2t sound.
Yes, is the PCM audio distorted? or is it recorded correctly. Thank you to whomever knows.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

PCM is not usable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley
the JVC Does put down PCM audio while in HDV mode - 48K 16bit same as DAT. You will have to make two passes to capture - one in HDV mode for the picture, a second in DV mode for AUDIO ONLY. Since its all matching TC, its doable.
I have spent hours testing the methodology outlined above. I managed to capture one channel of very distorted audio. I have also posted here asking for a reply from anyone who has actually done this successfully - not a single reply to date. Lacking evidence to the contrary, I have concluded that this workflow is just a wishful thinking rumor that refuses to die. But please, somebody out there demonstrate that this is not so.

If you don't want any compromises in your audio record double system with a smart slate for syncing. The Tascam HD-P2 is a great value for tapeless recording with TC.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

We've recorded many hours with a dumb slate and a 722. I also run a single mic cable from the out of the 722 to the JVC so we have some audio along with the video when you just want to spot check something off the tape.

Has worked great so far!
Tim Gray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems