BR-HD50U issues again. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BR-HD50U issues again.

Our first BR-HD50U last month failed less than 30 days old and JVC kindly replaced it within their perfect replacement program. The new unit according to JVC Pro Support supposedly had the latest firmware upgrade when shipped out.

Just started using the new unit and we are getting the "overheat" "default to PAL/50" about every 6 to 10 clips we try to digitize in FCP. Making working in any project, particularly under broadcast deadlines next to impossible. I wouldn't trust this unit to a 20-30 batch capture so we are capturing one clip at a time.

When it "freaks" even with a NTSC/PAL monitor the menu screen is so jittery that it's next to near impossible to see. So working blindly via the manual we have figured out how many menu button strokes to use to set the menu controls under "settings" to return it to factory settings enabling 60i. But, after just a few clips captured it freaks again to overheating/Pal. We were told by JVC Pro Support one way to reset is to unplug the unit and let it sit for 30-45 minutes which is unacceptable in any real production environment. Why the unit does not have a "hard reset" switch doesn't make sense in light of the units fragility.

Yes I've called the JVC Pro Support number and left a message for Dwayne Kersey who helped us with our first deck.

Using FCP, 9-pin serial control, component analog outs, feeding a AJA Kona LHe.

Is anyone else having these issues regularly with this deck?
Craig Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

craig is it warm in the room its operating in?

how hot is the air coming out of the fan?
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Tourist

same issues

i've seen the same issues with the deck...it has randomly power cycled and comes up in PAL/50 mode. i have used 3 different decks and all have seemed to do this at various times with seemingly no rhyme or reason. the room my deck is operating in is about 75 degrees...not sure how hot the air coming out of the deck is...but after resetting back to NTSC/60 mode, it usually works fine for quite awhile...which makes it difficult to believe that the temperature is the issue...it isn't as though the deck has to be powered down or not used for awhile before it works again.

i'm using the analog downconverted component out to capture to a Decklink card via FCP.
-jerad
Jerad Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

As it turns out I finally got through to the same people at JVC Pro support that helped with the first deck. The new deck was supposed to have had the firmware upgrade prior to shipping but apparently it didn't based on the units serial number. Had to FedEx the deck tonite to the Georgia JVC service center for the firmware upgrade. They said it would be in and out the same day so hopefully we will have it back on monday.

And no, the deck was not warm to the touch and the edit suite it is in is one of our cooler ones. if you search the forum you will find this issue discussed to some length.

With the firmware available from JVC they obiviously know about and have a fix for this problem. From a pure curiosity point of view It would be nice to have one of their guys pipe in here and give us the low down on what exactly the issue really is. Could it be the decks are really not overheating but there is something else going on (voltage spike perhaps) making the deck think it is overheating and forcing it in to PAL50 mode.
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #5
Major Player

yeah I'd like to hear from the JVC guys on this as well.

Seems this deck has had its fair share of issues from day one.
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Firmware # ???

I just want to order this deck today. Now I put on hold. Anybody can tell me which is the new (and hopefuly good) firmware # ?
Or may be just better wait with the order?

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath
I just want to order this deck today. Now I put on hold. Anybody can tell me which is the new (and hopefuly good) firmware # ?
Or may be just better wait with the order?

Laszlo
The deck will show you the firmware version if you hit STOP and MENU at the same time.

I've been using the BR-HD50 for months without incident and I have version 0102.
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Tim you returned the first one you had didn't you?
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Tim, just curious, are you using rs-422/9-pin regularly (for every capture) or 1394?

Thanks!

- Craig
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
Tim you returned the first one you had didn't you?
Nope. You are thinking of my HD100's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Meadows
Tim, just curious, are you using rs-422/9-pin regularly (for every capture) or 1394?
Most of the time I'm using the 9-pin in conjunction with FCP and a Decklink card. However, I have done ingest and output with m2t via firewire.
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #11
Major Player

The current firmware we have for the BR-HD50 is 1.05. It addesses the overheat - PAL mode crashes caused by RS-422 control. It can be loaded via an SD memory card by the user, so you don't have to send in your deck to JVC. Once updated, those crashes should be a thing of the past. Ken Freed from JVC is the person to talk to.

Check this thread for a discussion of the RS-422 bugs in early firmware.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...856#post482856

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #12
New Boot

User-serviceable firmware update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
The current firmware we have for the BR-HD50 is 1.05. It addesses the overheat - PAL mode crashes caused by RS-422 control. It can be loaded via an SD memory card by the user
WHAT! Really? I was told by JVC that this was a factory-only repair and not something an end user could.

I sent my deck in to have the firmware updated because Premiere Pro 1.5.1 cannot correctly control and batch capture (via IEEE) from our BR-HD50. It can free capture just fine. It can also batch capture from our HD-100u's just fine.

I was told by Cineform tech. reps that the reason Premiere is having an issue is because my deck needed this firmware upgrade. We sent it in and had this done under warranty but when it returned it acted exactly as before. I am wondering if the deck really was updated as it should have been. Is there any easy way to tell what firmware version the deck has?

If anyone can help or point me in the direction of resouces to solve this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Jeff Schaap
Jeff Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Schaap
Is there any easy way to tell what firmware version the deck has?
Press STOP and MENU.
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #14
New Boot

That worked, many thanks. It says 1050, which I assume means 1.5. Is this the latest revision to everyone's knowledge?

Thanks,
Jeff Schaap
Jeff Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #15
Major Player

Yes, 1.05 is the latest version to the best of my knowledge. Most of the issues (such as inability to control the deck via RS422 in Avid) were cleared up by 1.04. That's as much as I know. However, things weren't spectacularly successful on our Avid even with v.1.05. I've never seen anything like it on ANY RS422-controlled deck. I've also never seen a deck with BITC inconsistency - that must be a GOP thing. Basically, I'm still not sure whether it's the deck, Avid or a combination of both. Frankly, I'm glad I was only renting it and hadn't bought it! The conform is going to be very interesting indeed.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems