DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   azden wlx-pro and jvc hd 100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/73786-azden-wlx-pro-jvc-hd-100-a.html)

Dennis Stevens August 17th, 2006 12:31 PM

azden wlx-pro and jvc hd 100

I did a search on this, guess I must just show my ignorance....

I've been looking at the azden wlx-pro wireless system, you know the real cheap one....

It looks like it doesn't have XLR connections? If not, can you still hook up to the JVC HD100?

Jerry Porter August 17th, 2006 12:48 PM

DO NOT BUY THAT POS!! I have seen them and heard them and don't waste your money you will not be happy. No adjustments anywhere to be found save your money and buy a Seni G2.

Robert Castiglione August 17th, 2006 07:02 PM

Or indeed, even better, a second hand Lectrosonic system which will blow everything else out of the water. Better to buy a second hand mercedez benz than a new hyundai.

Rob

Jack Walker August 17th, 2006 07:11 PM

I am not familiar with Azden. However, I have used for several years the inexpensive Audio Technica Pro88 VHS wireless with the MT830 microphone (similar in form and size to the Tram TR50, though it has a small non-removable tie clip).

Audio technica makes an adapter for this mic to go from the mini-plug to an XLR plug. (The adapters cannot be universally be put on miniplug mics, but must be matched to the right one.

Here is the mic:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wl...ec4/index.html

The set with the 830 mic is the: PRO 88W-830 (this mic is much higher quality than the other mics offered with the PRO 88.)

This is the adapter cable -- Audio Technica Part No. CP8306 :
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/ac...23a/index.html

The people at this place sell the mics, but also can tell you what you need if you want to adapt a different system to work (or they will tell you if you can't adapt the system). They are very helpful:
http://equipmentemporium.com/

This system costs under $200, it is very lightweight, and in its price range I don't think anything compares. Otherwise, the option is to spend $500 to $4500 for a system with XLR out. I think AudioTechnica offers the adapter cable for this little system because it is a high enough quality for many professional applications. And in some situations, the VHF will give you more flexibility than UHF. I have used it on people running all over a theater (backstage, etc.), out of sight, and never lost the signal at the back of the theatre. The MT830 and the little transmitter work great in plant-mic situations also.

End of Commerical. I am in no way affiliated with AudioTechnica nor Equipment Emporium.

Dennis Stevens August 20th, 2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker
I am not familiar with Azden. However, I have used for several years the inexpensive Audio Technica Pro88 VHS wireless with the MT830 microphone (similar in form and size to the Tram TR50, though it has a small non-removable tie clip).

I ordered these items, and some quick testing showed it working great. I clipped it under my t-shirt, and walked around while someone else manned the HD100.

I walked around my 2nd floor apartment, then down the stairs and down the street. I got 5 houses before any static or interference was heard.

I loaded it onto the pc, all the audio was very clear. Considering the price, it's a very good system!

Tip McPartland August 20th, 2006 02:15 PM

Wireless...

I think the sweet spot in the prive/performance range is the $500 AT100 from Audio Technica or the similarly priced Sennheiser.

The AT has been used on many, many network shows including the last Summer Olympics and will not disappoint. It also matches very well with a typical boom mic like my Senn 416.

I used the Sennheiser wireless on a shoot with Lance Bachelder and thought it was perhaps even better than the AT100, I especially like the smaller receiver size which would be easier to use attached to the HD100.

Either one of these will give you results you can count on even for many broadcast applications, but if $5-600 is too much I would bet the Pro 88 is the best at its price point.

If you can afford a used Lectro, that is probably the best choice, but they hold their value very well, so even used are somewhat more expensive.

Tip

Jack Walker August 20th, 2006 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Stevens
I ordered these items, and some quick testing showed it working great. I clipped it under my t-shirt, and walked around while someone else manned the HD100.

I walked around my 2nd floor apartment, then down the stairs and down the street. I got 5 houses before any static or interference was heard.

I loaded it onto the pc, all the audio was very clear. Considering the price, it's a very good system!

I'm glad it worked out. I have found it extremely useful and the mic is excellent quality.

The system has two channels and I have never found that one or the other wasn't clear, and I'm in L.A. with a lot of competition.

One thing I have found this mic very useful for is on a second one-chip camera for an extra sound channel. Your main audio may be going into the HD100 or a separate recorder, but this mic can pic up additional PCM audio recording into a one-chip camera -- Either setup on a clamp somewhere, or hand held. This mic also works in the Microtrak recorder (the Microtrak recorder works both with standard balanced pro mics or with the 1/8" plug stereo mics.

Jack Walker August 20th, 2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
I think the sweet spot in the prive/performance range is the $500 AT100 from Audio Technica or the similarly priced Sennheiser.

The AT has been used on many, many network shows including the last Summer Olympics and will not disappoint. It also matches very well with a typical boom mic like my Senn 416.

I used the Sennheiser wireless on a shoot with Lance Bachelder and thought it was perhaps even better than the AT100, I especially like the smaller receiver size which would be easier to use attached to the HD100.

Either one of these will give you results you can count on even for many broadcast applications, but if $5-600 is too much I would bet the Pro 88 is the best at its price point.

If you can afford a used Lectro, that is probably the best choice, but they hold their value very well, so even used are somewhat more expensive.

Tip

I have the AT100 also and it does very well -- I use it with a Tram, a pin mic, a Cos11 -- though generally I try to use wired mics.

The Pro88 is nice because it is good quality and is extremely light, exceptionally quick to setup, works as a plant mic virtually anywhere, can plug into any kind of camera or recorder, unbalanced or balanced (with the adapter) and so forth.

Here is the wireless transmitter I want:
http://www.lectrosonics.com/hybrid/sm/sm.htm

... but I don't have it yet.

Zaxcom is supposed to have a tiny one coming out (if it hasn't already)... full digital, but also much more money.

David Ziegelheim August 20th, 2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
Better to buy a second hand mercedez benz than a new hyundai.

As a Mercedes owner, I would disagree. The MB wears over time like any other car, and older ones lack some of the newer features, such as side curtain airbags. Their maintance costs are also high, and can be very high as they age.

Hyundai's have reached a point where they are competitive in all areas to their competition and including price, are class leading. One look at the number of Mississippi built Hyundai Sonatas quicky shows their popularity.

Net of maintenance, a used MB can be much more expensive and less satifying to own than a new Hyundai unless you want the prestige.

BTW, I have a Senn Ew100, which works well and and has held up well. However, I would buy an Lectrosonics or Zaxcom digital wireless system if the budget allowed.