HD100 and Firestore FS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #1
New Boot

HD100 and Firestore FS4

Has anyone used the HD100 with an FS4? Just the plain old FS4. Will it record HDV as well as DV? Does it work with FCP5?
Patrick Mongoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi patrick,

I have the fs4 which records hd but I'm not sure if the hd recording is a software upgrade, I think it is. However, if this is the case it is mapped onto the standard fs4. Hope this helps, Greg.

P.S. Give the guys at Focus a call they are generally pretty helpful. I had some minor teething problems with fs4 and Hd 100 posted somewhere on here but they were ironed out. Additionaly, this was a good few months before Jvc released their own branded version. With regard to fcp5 I think focus have just released a 30p wrapper, 24p however still remains a bit of an enigma, Goodluck.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Go to the Firestore forum for this bit of unwelcome news:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=74084

I am not happy.
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #4
New Boot

HD100 and Firestore FS4

Thanks for the information. I knew about the DR HD100 and almost bought it, but it wasn't readily available, and I found the FS4 for $1K cheaper. So I figured I'd buy the FS4 instead, but it is not listed as being compatible with the HD100 camera on either the JVC or Focus spec sheets. So I turned to the forum for advice, and I got it. Thank you.

I also read the thread on the 'unwelcome news'. I share your angst. Maybe Focus will take some of the ideas in your post to heart and create a more useful product in the future.
Patrick Mongoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Actually the FireStore FS4-HD works fine with the HD-100. The m2t files recorded have to be converted to Quicktime HDV with MPEGStreamclip or a similar program if you are working with Final Cut Pro. With a MacBook Pro, the transcoding is faster than transfering from HDV tape. You can preview the clips with MPEGStreamclip before transcoding. The timecode is unfortunately not the same as the HDV tape.

The reason I went for the FireStore instead of the DR-HD100 was for the simple reason that I didn't want something else mounted on the camera. Between the battery and the wireless mic system, there's enough on the camera already. The FireStore clips on my belt perfectly. The price difference was a good reason also.

The FS-4 HD Pro will work with the HD-100 and soon will be updated to create QuickTime ready files.
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I have a gy hd101 and with the firestore it is very easy to review footage which takes a lot of pressure off of the tape mechanism, something i've never felt particalarly robust.

Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:40 AM   #7
Tourist

Any word on HDV 24p with the FS-4 HD? M2t files, that is. We're all well aware of the Quicktime wrapper problems.

Thanks-
Matt

Last edited by Matt Acevedo; August 31st, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Matt Acevedo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems