Can't capture from my JVC GY HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Can't capture from my JVC GY HD100

I have a JVC GY HD100. I can capture (using a Firewire) DV, with no problems. Using Adobe Prmiere Pro 2 or Avid, I can't capture on HDV. Interestingly, Adobe Premiere will allow control of the camera itself - i.e., it will stop, start, fast forward etc. - Just no capure of the video will occur. In DV, the "Removable Storage Device" shows up in My Computer but when the camera is switched to HDV, the camera doesn't appear in My Computer. Needless to say, I have made sure that I am "matched" - when the Firewire switch is to HDV, I have actually filmed in HDV. I have tried different settings on the recording format but the results are always the same. Can anyone help me. As it is, I just have a very expensive Mini DV camera. Thanks for your assistance.
John Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you made sure that you have the settings in Premiere during capture also set to HDV? Either as Adobe's HDV or by using the Cineform codec/settings?

Also, have you tried capturing/recording by hitting record letting it run awhile and then hitting Stop, then looking to see if it conforms any footage for the bin? Or are you simply seeing black in the preview monitor and making the assumption that it's not going to record anything? By default you will NOT see a preview during capture, but that does not mean you are not digitizing footage when working with HDV. It's one of those things you will want to monitor from another source (camera, passthrough from deck, etc.).
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There is a tiny switch in the back end of the handle to select the firewire output between DV and HDV. This switch should be set to HDV. Additionally PP2 has a JVC HD 100 template on their website. Download and use a project setting from these templates. This might help.
Jay Yellamaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #4
New Boot

Capture problems with JVC GY-HD100

I did carefully check that I have the DV/HDV switch in the right position and I *think* that I made sure about the compatibility between the camera and Premiere Pro settings (But I'm very likely to have made an error!). Surely, though, if a connection is made - wouldn't the camera appear in "My Computer" as an external storage device? (It doesn't). When I click on "Capture" - I do get the black window but the record button is lighter than when it works on DV capture. - The footage counter doesn't move either. As mentioned, it is intriguing that I can operate the start stop/fast forward and rewind even in this "Non capturing" state. Re the record button, - It also doesn't do anything when it's clicked. Also it gives the message "Not online" I'm pretty sure that the program isn't capturing anything at all. It's as if it needs a driver to enable it t communicate with the computer when switched to HDV (and I do appreciate that drivers are not supposed to be necessary). I have two Firewire ports - one is on the motherboard and the other is a separate Firewire card. Neither of them show any problems in the device manager.
I'm really lost. It just doesn't seem as if the Firewire port on the camera is faulty - otherwise it wouldn't work under ordinary DV - and it wouldn't operate the start/stop when the HDV was selected.... Help!
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #5
New Boot

Attention Jay Yellamaty.
Thanks for the post. Any idea where the template is for the JVC GY-HD100 on the Adbe Premiere Pro site? - I did a search but came up with nothing.
Thanks, John
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Major Player

It's just an update for PP2 that has proper templates for the HD100 found here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3409

And although you would think that in HDV mode it would do the usual "bing" noise as does in DV when you connect the device, but it does not, our has never done so anyway on our. But it's there.

One odd thin I did notice today on our system was that one of my firewire cables worked fine in the DV mode/setting but would do nothing in HDV mode. I changed out the cable and it worked in both as it should (both cables are 6pin by the way). Go figure.

Seriously try using the free Cineform codec (30 days) since it has a capture utility that works outside of PP2. It might be a good way to narrow down the problem, you know?

Last if you can't get it going then email me for my number, I might be able to trouble shoot by phone. It's the least I can do for a new DVinfo member.
RED ONE #977
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi John, I had a similar problem trying to bring HDV into Avid Xpress Pro 5.5.3 from the camera. After a week I got it to work, so hopefully what worked for me will work for you too. For starters, the footage has to be HDV 720/30p, not 24p. Next, if you have a Mojo, unplug it, or plug your firewire into a port on a separate card from the one used by Mojo (the port on the front of the computer won't work.) Once your connected, start the computer, start the camera, then open Avid. In the Select Project window, start a new project, select 720/29.97 HDV as the format, then create a NEW user profile. This last step I think was what finally got things working. Now, hopefully, you should be able to capture footage, although first try capturing on the fly by clicking the Capture button while the camera is playing. By the way, I'm working with a G5 dual 1.8, and added memory for a total of 3 1/2 gigs, which I think also helped. Good luck. mm
Michael J. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #8
New Boot

Can't capture from my JVC GY HD100

Thanks for the advice - I'll try that tomorrow. I'm using Windows XP - Not sure what you mean by Mojo - (isn't that what Austin Powers lost??). I have a Firewire card (separate - fits in a PCI slot) and also an on-board Firewire slot.
I'll let you know how it goes.
John
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks Daniel.
I'll do a search for Cineform codec and see if it works.
Later!
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
It's just an update for PP2 that has proper templates for the HD100 found here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3409

And although you would think that in HDV mode it would do the usual "bing" noise as does in DV when you connect the device, but it does not, our has never done so anyway on our. But it's there.

One odd thin I did notice today on our system was that one of my firewire cables worked fine in the DV mode/setting but would do nothing in HDV mode. I changed out the cable and it worked in both as it should (both cables are 6pin by the way). Go figure.

Seriously try using the free Cineform codec (30 days) since it has a capture utility that works outside of PP2. It might be a good way to narrow down the problem, you know?

Last if you can't get it going then email me for my number, I might be able to trouble shoot by phone. It's the least I can do for a new DVinfo member.
Old August 31st, 2006, 07:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi John;

I have experienced similar problems lately while trying to capture from the HD 100 into PP2. I noticed that things work better if I 1) turn on the camera before I turn on the computer, 2) in the PP2 capture window in the settings folder select options and select JVC and standard model 3) make sure the Firewire cable is properly seated in the camera - atleast on my camera it tends to come loose 4) save all these settings and exit PP2, reboot computer and launch PP2. Sometimes I have to repeat these steps a few times before I see the message that shows the device is online. Good Luck.
Jay Yellamaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:25 PM   #11
New Boot

No connection with JVC GY HD100

I'll try that. In the meanwhile, I think something may have happenbed with Connect HD. I loaded up the trial -and the record button did appear. I pressed it and saw the time code on the right start advancing. Whether it was actually downloading footage, I'm not sure. After a few seconds, I got a message saying "Thank you for trying out Connect HD etc etc" and the program stopped.
I'll give PP2 a good try out.
Thanks again for your input. Obviously the camera works, it's just a case of *getting* it to work!
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Yellamaty
Hi John;

I have experienced similar problems lately while trying to capture from the HD 100 into PP2. I noticed that things work better if I 1) turn on the camera before I turn on the computer, 2) in the PP2 capture window in the settings folder select options and select JVC and standard model 3) make sure the Firewire cable is properly seated in the camera - atleast on my camera it tends to come loose 4) save all these settings and exit PP2, reboot computer and launch PP2. Sometimes I have to repeat these steps a few times before I see the message that shows the device is online. Good Luck.
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:50 PM   #12
Major Player

Connect HD? I think for what you are looking to do you might should have tried "Aspect HD" perhaps.
RED ONE #977
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM   #13
New Boot

I'll see if I can download Aspect HD!
Thanks,
John
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Can't capture ...

John,

1. In HDV-mode the camcorder is not recognised as a separate device. You will and you should find it under "Audio-, Video-, Gamecontroller". It should be recognised as "A/V recorder" or equivalent. In my case, I see "JVC AV-recorder" when I connect the HD100.

2. With Avid Liquid 7.1 SP1 you must switch the camcorder into videorecorder mode - not camera mode. You should connenct it and set it to videorecorder before you launch liquid. Within liquid goto "Edit -> Control Panel" and under the "Site" tab you will find the "recorder" settings. Make sure that you select IEEE1394 for input, and select the correct format under Output MPEG to ProHD 25 or ProHD 30 depending on your standard.

If you then open the logging tool, you should be able to select your camcorder, and you should be able to controll it from the logging window. Make sure you have set the timeline to HDV. Click the play button in the logging window and you should see your video in the inlay in 16:9 format. Now logging/capturing should be no problem.

Good luck,
Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM   #15
New Boot

Can't capture from HD100

I tried that and - Lo and Behold. - It worked! - I never set it to "Play mode" before I went into Liquid. The manufacturers should make these sort of things clear in the manual.
Thanks for your help. Much Appreciated.
John
PS - any idea where the fuse is located? - In the battery compartment it says "Replace fuse with the same type" yet there is no obvious way to change the fuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Claus
John,

1. In HDV-mode the camcorder is not recognised as a separate device. You will and you should find it under "Audio-, Video-, Gamecontroller". It should be recognised as "A/V recorder" or equivalent. In my case, I see "JVC AV-recorder" when I connect the HD100.

2. With Avid Liquid 7.1 SP1 you must switch the camcorder into videorecorder mode - not camera mode. You should connenct it and set it to videorecorder before you launch liquid. Within liquid goto "Edit -> Control Panel" and under the "Site" tab you will find the "recorder" settings. Make sure that you select IEEE1394 for input, and select the correct format under Output MPEG to ProHD 25 or ProHD 30 depending on your standard.

If you then open the logging tool, you should be able to select your camcorder, and you should be able to controll it from the logging window. Make sure you have set the timeline to HDV. Click the play button in the logging window and you should see your video in the inlay in 16:9 format. Now logging/capturing should be no problem.

Good luck,
Joachim
John Clarke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems