DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD 100 lens question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/74650-hd-100-lens-question.html)

Gabriele Sartori September 1st, 2006 03:10 AM

HD 100 lens question

Sorry for the question guys, it has probably been asked 100 times but I can't find the answer on the forum or anywhere else.
What is the 35mm focal lenght equivalency of the standard zoom of the HD100 when full wide open?

I'm struggling on choosing between Canon and JVC (that I prefer) and the lens is one of the decision items. Thanks a lot for your patience.

Regards
Gabriele

Tim Dashwood September 1st, 2006 09:57 AM

The Angle of View of the 16x5.5 stock lens at 5.5mm is 51°. (info from page 6 of Highway magazine.)
This is equivalent to Super35 1.85:1 with a 25mm lens. (info on page 780-789 of 8th Ed. AC Manual.)

If you pop the .82x wide angle converter on the stock lens you can get an angle of view of 60°, which is equivalent to about 20mm on Super35 1.85:1.

The Fujinon 13x3.5 wide lens offers 73.5° angle of view, which would be equivalent to 16mm focal length on Super35 1.85:1.

Warren Jobe September 1st, 2006 12:38 PM

Tim, I think Gabriele was wondering about 35mm still camera equivalents instead of Super35mm movie film ;-)

The short answer: multiply by 7.2 for 1/3" ccd cameras. So the JVC stock lens would be ~40mm and the wide angle would be ~25mm. The Canon XH would be ~32mm.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=43138

Stephen L. Noe September 1st, 2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The Angle of View of the 16x5.5 stock lens at 5.5mm is 51°. (info from page 6 of Highway magazine.)
This is equivalent to Super35 1.85:1 with a 25mm lens. (info on page 780-789 of 8th Ed. AC Manual.)

If you pop the .82x wide angle converter on the stock lens you can get an angle of view of 60°, which is equivalent to about 20mm on Super35 1.85:1.

The Fujinon 13x3.5 wide lens offers 73.5° angle of view, which would be equivalent to 16mm focal length on Super35 1.85:1.

I think this is mis-information written in the Highway mag. They didn't calculate for the .5 of the lens and used the 5.0 as the reference.

Stock lens is 48°
WA is 58°
13x is 70°

You can calculate from this support document: Shooting angle table

S.Noe

Gabriele Sartori September 2nd, 2006 01:23 PM

Thanks to everybody. The 7.2X multiplier is indeed what I was looking for. Pretty narrow on the stock lens :-( . It is one of the factors on choosing the HD100 vs. the new Canon A1. They are two very different animals with pros and cons but I prefer the HD100. I was going with the A1 since I use a glidecam a lot but on a second thought the absence of AF is not a deal breaker (mostly shoot very wide at F8 or higher when I am on the glydecam). 39mm equivalent though is pretty narrow. The new compact 3CCD Canon start from 32mm eq. Quite a delta.
It is soo difficult to decide !!!

Thank you
Gabriele

Eric Darling September 2nd, 2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbriele Sartori
but I prefer the HD100. I was going with the A1 since I use a glidecam a lot but on a second thought the absence of AF is not a deal breaker (mostly shoot very wide at F8 or higher when I am on the glydecam). 39mm equivalent though is pretty narrow. The new compact 3CCD Canon start from 32mm eq. Quite a delta.
It is soo difficult to decide !!!

These are two very different cameras, actually. Not only do they shoot different HD ratios, but everything from the form factor to the operation of the lens, to the features of the cameras are relatively drastically different. You should put your hands on both before you decide. It would be worth a trip to a dealer, or better yet, to find colleagues who owned one of the cameras so you can see them each in action. You can nullify the difference in lens widths if you invest in the Fujinon wide angle converter for the HD100, BTW.