HD 100 lens question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 1st, 2006, 03:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD 100 lens question

Sorry for the question guys, it has probably been asked 100 times but I can't find the answer on the forum or anywhere else.
What is the 35mm focal lenght equivalency of the standard zoom of the HD100 when full wide open?

I'm struggling on choosing between Canon and JVC (that I prefer) and the lens is one of the decision items. Thanks a lot for your patience.

Regards
Gabriele
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Wrangler

The Angle of View of the 16x5.5 stock lens at 5.5mm is 51°. (info from page 6 of Highway magazine.)
This is equivalent to Super35 1.85:1 with a 25mm lens. (info on page 780-789 of 8th Ed. AC Manual.)

If you pop the .82x wide angle converter on the stock lens you can get an angle of view of 60°, which is equivalent to about 20mm on Super35 1.85:1.

The Fujinon 13x3.5 wide lens offers 73.5° angle of view, which would be equivalent to 16mm focal length on Super35 1.85:1.
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Tim, I think Gabriele was wondering about 35mm still camera equivalents instead of Super35mm movie film ;-)

The short answer: multiply by 7.2 for 1/3" ccd cameras. So the JVC stock lens would be ~40mm and the wide angle would be ~25mm. The Canon XH would be ~32mm.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=43138
Warren Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The Angle of View of the 16x5.5 stock lens at 5.5mm is 51°. (info from page 6 of Highway magazine.)
This is equivalent to Super35 1.85:1 with a 25mm lens. (info on page 780-789 of 8th Ed. AC Manual.)

If you pop the .82x wide angle converter on the stock lens you can get an angle of view of 60°, which is equivalent to about 20mm on Super35 1.85:1.

The Fujinon 13x3.5 wide lens offers 73.5° angle of view, which would be equivalent to 16mm focal length on Super35 1.85:1.
I think this is mis-information written in the Highway mag. They didn't calculate for the .5 of the lens and used the 5.0 as the reference.

Stock lens is 48°
WA is 58°
13x is 70°

You can calculate from this support document: Shooting angle table

S.Noe
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 01:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks to everybody. The 7.2X multiplier is indeed what I was looking for. Pretty narrow on the stock lens :-( . It is one of the factors on choosing the HD100 vs. the new Canon A1. They are two very different animals with pros and cons but I prefer the HD100. I was going with the A1 since I use a glidecam a lot but on a second thought the absence of AF is not a deal breaker (mostly shoot very wide at F8 or higher when I am on the glydecam). 39mm equivalent though is pretty narrow. The new compact 3CCD Canon start from 32mm eq. Quite a delta.
It is soo difficult to decide !!!

Thank you
Gabriele
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbriele Sartori
but I prefer the HD100. I was going with the A1 since I use a glidecam a lot but on a second thought the absence of AF is not a deal breaker (mostly shoot very wide at F8 or higher when I am on the glydecam). 39mm equivalent though is pretty narrow. The new compact 3CCD Canon start from 32mm eq. Quite a delta.
It is soo difficult to decide !!!
These are two very different cameras, actually. Not only do they shoot different HD ratios, but everything from the form factor to the operation of the lens, to the features of the cameras are relatively drastically different. You should put your hands on both before you decide. It would be worth a trip to a dealer, or better yet, to find colleagues who owned one of the cameras so you can see them each in action. You can nullify the difference in lens widths if you invest in the Fujinon wide angle converter for the HD100, BTW.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems