DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   No audio through the component (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/74654-no-audio-through-component.html)

Jemore Santos September 1st, 2006 05:18 AM

No audio through the component

Is this a settings issue, but through playback all I can get is Video, once I plug all three in I basically get ground and the picture goes fuzzy, once I take off the audio cables video seems to work fine, but I could never hear anything with the cables in. Does anyone else have this prob?

Richard Alvarez September 1st, 2006 07:26 AM

Um, there is NO audio in "Component". Component breaks the video into it's component element. You need to connect the audio feed seperately.

Unless you are confusing composite with component?

Jay Yellamaty September 1st, 2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
Is this a settings issue, but through playback all I can get is Video, once I plug all three in I basically get ground and the picture goes fuzzy, once I take off the audio cables video seems to work fine, but I could never hear anything with the cables in. Does anyone else have this prob?

I hope you are not connecting the audio cables to the outputs below the video out that are labeled Pr and Pb. They are component video out. The audio should be connected to the mini plug labeled line out with the supplied mini jack to stereo rca cable. I hope this helps.

Mark Silva September 1st, 2006 10:03 AM

the newer jvc cams do have rca outs now though don't they?

Lee Alford September 1st, 2006 10:42 AM

Sometimes I think the FCC should require a license to buy one of these cameras. :)

Warren Jobe September 1st, 2006 01:03 PM

If the shoe fits....

It happens quite often; that the same type of connector is used for different purposes. In the pro audio world, an XLR cable is used for both mic (-60db) and "pro" level line output (+4db), leading one to think that a +4db output should be plugged into a -60 mic input, which can actually damage the mic preamp :-(

The audio jacks on the HD100 are -10db, which is "consumer" level line output.

Of course, the RCA jack is used for both audio and video. The color coding on component video and audio jacks should help avoid the confusion, but....

Jemore Santos September 1st, 2006 08:07 PM

Pardon my ignorance and thanks for the info guys, one thing though if I do put the plugs in the audio plugs of my TV will it short out?

Stephan Ahonen September 1st, 2006 09:59 PM

This sort of thing is why video should always use BNC connectors.

Warren Jobe September 2nd, 2006 03:07 PM

(=o) (=o)

Jemore, I'm not positive but I don't think it will damage video inputs to plug in an audio signal. The video signal has a much higher bandwidth than audio, so the inputs should be able to "handle" the lower bandwidth audio signal. There would, of course, be nothing to gain (he, he, that's a pun) from this.

The problem I illustrated with pro audio signals is distortion/clipping which will overload the sensitive mic preamp. This would only occur if the output was turned up so much as to clip the preamp for a period of time, and probably something to do with the different impedance levels too.

There are so many different types of signals, and having standardized connectors makes things cheaper and convenient, but means that you always have to be careful to match signals to their proper inputs. As the British would say: "Do pay attention, now."

Maybe they should make electrical outlets that aren't shaped like flat-head screwdrivers :-o

David Scattergood September 4th, 2006 04:00 AM

I too got a little confused with this first off (but didn't give it too much thought as I was more concerned with the dead pixels issues). My previous camera used the same 3 cables into the TV for vid output - audio L + R and video - identical to the component cables from the JVC, though these are purely for the video signal.
Might sound basic but if you've never used component before they can easily be confused!

Quote:

Component Cables
Component cables look just like composite cables. The difference is that, where a composite cable carries the entire video signal on a single cable, component cables split the signal in three. This connection gives a superior image over composite or S-video connections. The signal itself is referred to as either Y,Cr,Cb, or Y,Pb,Pr. Most manufacturers make connecting these cables easy by color coordinating them. The tips of the cables and jacks will be red, green and blue. Unfortunately, this can be a bit confusing because computer RGB connections are colored the same way. A good rule of thumb is that, if the connections are RCA type, it is usually a component cable. Computer RGB cables will usually be BNC type. Most high-end DVD players and HDTV tuners will have component connections.
http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutor.../component.gif