Missing pixels? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 06:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Missing pixels?

Hi all, I did not intend for this to be my first post - that was to be a more postive post with thanks - I've been reading this thread for some time and actually helped me decide on a decision when scouting for a camera.
I chose the GY HD100!...but I'll post more on that later...for now....a problem:

Experimenting with my new camera last night and have noticed what appears to be missing pixels on the VF/LCD and the output image/footage on the widescreen television.
Only had the camera a couple of weeks and have been away for most of that time - this is the first time I've really started to get to grips with it.
It appears as a white dot (a few pixels by a few pixels) just off the centre of the screen - this would be fine if it was merely appearing on the LCD but it's not - it's there on playback and is quite obvious once you clock onto it.
Anyone heard of this problem before? Am I looking at sending the camera back?
Many thanks
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:19 AM   #2
New Boot

Dead pixle

What you're experiencing is a dead pixel on the camera's CCD. This is not an uncommon occurrence with digital camera's. I sent my first HD-100 back because it got a dead pixel within two days of opening the box. The second HD-100 I received lasted about three weeks before getting a dead pixel. The simple fix is a few buttons away. I would suggest calling JVC's tech support (1-800-582-5825) and describing your problem to them. If it is indeed a dead pixel then they will walk you through a quick button sequence that will isolate and remove the dead pixel.

Good Luck,
Michael Anderson
Michael Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi David

I don't think it's going too far to say that dead pixels are pretty common with the HD100. The good news is that it's an easy fix with such comprehensive menu commands/settings. Email me privately and I'll give you the fix so you don't have to call JVC in the States and you can do it yourself in a few minutes:

tonywilson@gmx.net
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Wrangler

David,

See Ken Freed's post in this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68211
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey thanks for the responses folks! Forgive me if I don't get back to you straight away today - I'm doing a 100 mile bike ride tomorrow and my nerves are a little frayed!
If I can fix this myself then that is particularly great news. As I said, I would of preferred to start my first post with more positive pronouncements/announcements - I've been blown away by some of the clips shown on this forum in particular.
I'll mail you shortly Anthony...I have to fit tyres on my bike and that's not going too well either!
Cheers for the link Tim.
Regards
Dave.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks folks - this seems to have worked a treat...I'll double check later, but so far it appears to have eliminated said pixels (almost like 1 x 3 long they were).
Dave.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems