Project Finished: "The Container Adventures: The Rescue" - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM   #46
Major Player

captured?

I have seen this video a few times, and i read most of everything people had said, but it seems that no one has asked if it was shot on the mini DV tapes (4:2:0 color space and mpeg compression) or captured through the component out to a 4:2:2 color space no compression???

Would love to know because this looks great!
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese View Post
...shot on the mini DV tapes (4:2:0 color space and mpeg compression) or captured through the component out to a 4:2:2 color space no compression??? Would love to know because this looks great!
Thanks, Giuseppe. We shot this to MiniDV tapes in HDV format. Would love to get a component capture system, but I'm glad the JVC's do such a good job in HDV.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:32 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Thurston View Post
Thanks, Giuseppe. We shot this to MiniDV tapes in HDV format. Would love to get a component capture system, but I'm glad the JVC's do such a good job in HDV.
wow I have to say, from all the footage i've seen from the HD100/110 I've never seen footage so clean with very little artifacting, in fact even compressed via wmv, it still shows little artifacting considering the compression.

I could almost swear that it was captured via component out, considering how much cleaner it looked compared to some other stuff i've seen.

Was there a specific "sweet spot" on the stock lens that you usually shot at? I dont see as much CA but then again most of all the lighting is nice and soft as well. I would love to know this, because most of the "wide shots (the first one of her coming out of the school) was nice and clean.

Thanks for the info :)
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #49
Major Player

HI Earl, Excellent film, i really cant believe how 'clean' the shots look. What interested me most was the fact you recorded the audio on the AT 897 as this is the same mic i have and yet to test it in the field, i wonder how much treatment did you do to the vocals to get them to sound so in place and warm in quality? And also did you run it straight to camera or did you record to an external device/preamp etc? Thanks
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese View Post
Was there a specific "sweet spot" on the stock lens that you usually shot at?
I can't really say I found the sweet spot for focal length yet except that zoomed all the way in (75-88mm range) tends to be the worst area for both sharpness in the corners and chromatic aberration.

(There is a really bad example here: http://www.neopics.com/gl1-hd100/HD100-5-720.jpg)

But I can confirm what others have found in that F4 tends to be about the best place for the iris. Wide angles with the lens wide open tend to show too much white shading (where the top of the screen looks more green and the lower part more magenta). An iris too small (F8-F11) starts to show diffraction limitations.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alexander View Post
HI Earl, Excellent film, i really cant believe how 'clean' the shots look.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alexander View Post
i wonder how much treatment did you do to the vocals to get them to sound so in place and warm in quality? And also did you run it straight to camera or did you record to an external device/preamp etc?
The mike was cabled directly to the camera, and other than some attempts to balance the levels and a couple of effects filters (like her voice on the telephone), no other processing was used. That's the natural sound of the AT 897. Also, Barry Wong, our boom operator, did a great job of getting the mic as close as possible.

I should clarify, though... the AT 897 was only used during filming of the actors on location. All the character voices were dubbed in later, and those were recorded at Sound Kitchen Studios in Vancouver. (Not sure which gear.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems