Ahem, Timecode help... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Ahem, Timecode help...

I bet this has been dragged back and forth throught these pages, but I couldn't find anything posted recently (sorry if going over a time worn subject).
I shot some SD 25p footage yesterday and attempted to capture (using Prem Pro on a PC...which is a temp measure anyhow). Doh - forgot to set the time and date...whilst at that I thought I should set the time code also (I am reading the manual - honest...just you sometimes want to play as soon as!).

Must admit I'm a little confused...what is UB used for? What's DV input time cord? What's the difference between the TC gen switches of Free/Rec/Regen?
I reset the timecode earlier on (after I'd played around with setting it up)...however when I recorded some more footage this evening the TC started from 12:00:00:00 ?
Are there any linkies (previous threads perhaps) or perhaps a short synpopsis of TC on this camera?
Thanks and regards,
Dave.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/archive/i...hp/t-8108.html

Jeff Donald has a good ansewr for you.
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Adam (and Jeff!).
That makes a lot more sense to me now. Is it possible to reset the timecode on one tape - say if you had several projects recorded onto one Pro HD tape - would the timecode remain as was recorded?
However, this is the first time I've come across User Bits before - are these used generally? Not sure if I 'get' their purpose at the moment!
Thanks.
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Most people use user bits to either set a date or for a reel number. if you're shooting a lot of reels it's nice to be able to have it recorded onto the tape itself.

As far as re-recording TC, yes. if you record over the tape again you'll also lay down new TC (unless you're insert editing).

If you want to get into the technical meat of TC, you might also want to read up a little bit on the differences between LTC (longitudinal timecode) and VITC (Vertical interval Timecode). The quick & dirty explination being tha LTC is a edge track (kinda like an audio casette) and VITC is recorded across the tape with the video signal. Each have their benefits & drawbacks.
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Most people use user bits to either set a date or for a reel number. if you're shooting a lot of reels it's nice to be able to have it recorded onto the tape itself
Ah, I understand now. And you can switch between this and TC anyhow...might come in handy this.

I'll read up on VITC and LTC also...I'm not happy unless I've riddled my brain with the deep down know-hows!
Many thanks.
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Major Player

...although what exactly is insert editing? Fairly sure this won't bother me as I do not have DV in...unless we are talking about something else?
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems