Flying with GY-HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flying with GY-HD100

I've recently been told that I'll need to go on a trip and do some shooting. I figure that I'll have to have the camera, mics and tripod.

I don't have a hard case for the camera, so i'm stuck with the Portabrace CTC-3 soft case for the camera.

I can check my clothing suitcase, where I plan on also packing incedentals (Gaff tape, cables, mics). And the Tripod should be ok in checked luggage, but will American Airlines allow the camera to go in the overhead bin in that case? can I ask for a hand inspection so I don't have to send the camera thru the x-ray machine (what with all the bad pixels that have been showing up on peoples camera).

Anything else I need to worry about?
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Major Player

You will have to send the camera through the X-Ray machine. No hand checks allowed. This will not be a problem for the camera. The portabrace pag probably is to big for carry on. They are being strict with the rules. American is really bad when I have flown them.

One way round this is to check a run bag with all your mics, tapes, batteries, etc. And then just carry the camera on the plane. I have done this with a Sony DSR-500 all over the world. People leave you alone when they see the camera. I ask to get on the plane early and then I either put it in the overhead with lots of pillows or just put it under the seat in front of you.

If you want to keep it in a bag, I would get one that is carry on size.

I have a Petrol PCUB-HDV bag that is made for the HD100 with either the AB or IDX battery package. The bag runs around $225 and is carry on size.

Good luck,

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I have traveled with the CTC-3 bag as a carry-on with no problems. X-ray is also okay, I make sure the camera is turned off (although, I don't know if that matters). They always do the chemical swipe test and no longer ask for the camera to be turned on to see the picture in the VF but make sure to have a battery attached just in case. You might also see Elvis, so be prepared...:-)
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Major Player

I also travel with the CTC-3 (on Delta) and find it fits in most overheads, but not on the smaller CRJ regional jet. Under the seat doesn't usually work, the camera is too long. I haven't had any dead pixels, but am asked to remove the camera from the bag for x-ray. Sometimes saying that is is a "professional" camera gets by that, but it depends on the TSA person. Personally I don't like the idea of it bumping down the conveyor belt and rollers, and TSA is NOT responsible for any damage they may cause to your rig, so keep a close eye on how it is handled. I usually just say it costs more than their car and they seem to be more careful after that.

I also have the JVC CB-100 hard case and have checked that as luggage. What a great case this is, has wheels and a pull handle-easy to tote around. I'm liking that way even more these days. It accomodates the camera, battery, charger, tripod plate, rain cover, tapes and wireless mics. I check that, the tripod case and my suitcase, good to go!
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte
I also have the JVC CB-100 hard case and have checked that as luggage. What a great case this is, has wheels and a pull handle-easy to tote around. I'm liking that way even more these days. It accomodates the camera, battery, charger, tripod plate, rain cover, tapes and wireless mics. I check that, the tripod case and my suitcase, good to go!
Does this case hold the wide angle lens? Both the standard and wide angle lenses? Do you know the outside dimensions of the case? (I can't find a detailed description of the case.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte
...Personally I don't like the idea of it bumping down the conveyor belt and rollers, and TSA is NOT responsible for any damage they may cause to your rig, so keep a close eye on how it is handled. ...
They have the plastic trays and I am pretty sure that they wounldn't mind if you put a sweatshirt or something (without metal muttons or zippers) under the camera for the ride throught the tunnel.
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #7
New Boot

If for some reason the camera bag is too large to fit overhead, pull the camera with battery our of the case and zip the camera bag back up. Pull the shoulder strap off of the case and insert it into the camera bag, hand that off to the baggage dude. Now here is the important part, put the camera into a rain cover or some sort of waterproof bag. If you can shove the camera overhead with pillows or blankets, wrap it tightly with the rain slicker still on the camera. The overheads have been known to leak AC water/condensation onto my Betacam SP camera and other goodies. IF the camera doesn't fit overhead, place it between your feet on the floor with the lens facing backwards (towards you) into the open space between your feet, cover the camera so you don't spill your coke onto it. IF you place the camera forward, somehow the lady in front of you will find a way to mash your lens with her high heels or on a rough landing the camera will slide forward on the floor and smack your lens into the guard rail on the seat in front of you. Place a pillow on the floor if you can to protect it, they won't let you do this on takeoff but as soon as you are in the air, shove that puppy around the camera..
I have travelled on every type of airline and they all blow no matter how muych they try to help...in fact I am leaving on southwest this afternoon from Orlando to Denver and can't wait to see what debacle I'm in for today!
Alex Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Does this case hold the wide angle lens? Both the standard and wide angle lenses? Do you know the outside dimensions of the case? (I can't find a detailed description of the case.)

The cutout for the camera has at least three extra inches of length, even with the AB adapter in place. I don't have the 13x (yet, but sure do want one) but I think it would fit in there. The outside dimensions are approx 28x16x13 inches.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Contributor

I fly with a DSR500, bigger than the JVC, with a Portabrace bag. Depending on the city you're in and the airline, sometimes the bag will not fit through the X-ray slot. Sometimes it depends on which gate. For example, in flying Southwest, the camera and bag go through the opening fine, but at some gates, the opening is narrower. I have to take the camera out of the bag, squish the bag down through the opening, and send the camera through laying on its side. No problem there, but I watch it like a hawk am right there to grab it.

Portabrace makes a newer bag now that will fit any airline. You can use it like a regular camera bag, or you can put in the velcro partition, take your lens off and store it in the proper place, and the bag zips down to a smaller size. I don't know the number of this one but it looks cool. That's probably what I'd get if I still traveled a lot by air.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems