Ntsc? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ntsc?

Hi there,
Is 720p30 an NTSC signal? Someone asked me if my camera, a gy-101e can shoot in NTSC......just wanted to check without reading up in the manual before i get home. Thanks for any help
Craig
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Wrangler

720P30 is not an NTSC signal, but it can be easily downconverted to NTSC.

720P30 refers to a frame size of 1280x720 pixels at 29.97 fps.

The HD100U is capable of shooting NTSC signals (720x480) in DV mode (60i or 24P in 60i.) However, since the HD101E is designed for the European market it's DV mode is PAL (720x576 @ 25fps.)

If you would like to shoot with the HD101E exclusively for the NTSC market, then I suggest shooting in either 720P30 or 720P24 HDV and downconvert to NTSC.
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your prompt reply. So a down conversion is the best way..... Whats involved here? Can it be done in FCP5 ?
Reason i ask is that the client is asking me and i just want to have all my answers spot on.....
Also in the VIDEO FORMAT menu under HDV PB OUTPUT it has an option for NTSC when in HDV 720p30 mode.
Is this my magic answer or......?

Thanks

Craig
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your prompt reply. So a down conversion is the best way..... Whats involved here? Can it be done in FCP5 ?
Reason i ask is that the client is asking me and i just want to have all my answers spot on.....
Also in the VIDEO FORMAT menu under HDV PB OUTPUT it has an option for NTSC when in HDV 720p30 mode.
Is this my magic answer or......?

Thanks

Craig
The PB OUTPUT option only applies to the analog out. The camera has a downconverter built in that will downconvert to the composite video out, but not firewire.

Downconverting in FCP5/Compressor is very easy. If your destination is DVD simply select the DVD preset you want from Compressor and it will do the downconversion for you.

Alternatively, for more specific control, you can edit in native 720P30 and when you are done drag your 720P30 sequence into an empty NTSC sequence. Scaling will be performed automatically (letterboxing if 4x3 or anamorphic if 16x9)
You can then add a sharpness filte, adjust to your liking, and render out to quicktime.
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #5
Trustee

What about simply interlacing the 480p60 mode to 480i60?
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
What about simply interlacing the 480p60 mode to 480i60?
You could do that and it will work, but the FCP workflow will not be nearly as simple.
You will be forced to capture the 480P60 HDV with a m2t capture utility like HDVxDV or DVHSCap. You will then have to cross-convert them to a 60i NTSC with HDVxDV or MPEGSTREAMCLIP (DV would be the easiest preset codec) before you can edit with them in FCP.

Temporaly, the motion will look exactly like standard NTSC 60i originated material, which may or may not be the aesthetic you are aiming for.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems