'Progressive look' not there in HDV25p... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 12th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #1
Major Player

'Progressive look' not there in HDV25p...

I'm currently filming in DV25p as I have no current workflow to play with HDV as yet (immiently to change I hope!). The 'filmic' juddery feel is right there and with careful pans and subject placings I get just the look I was after. However, in HDV25p when filming this look is not there until playback (same with 24p?) - therefore unless you've pretty much mastered the progressive filming art I'm guessing it's likely you would mess up a couple of takes?
Unless DV 25p is not really true progressive and this is a 'synthesised' look where as HDV25/24 is and the results are only noticed on playback...am I making sense?!?!?

Yours, almost getting there...
dave

Last edited by David Scattergood; September 12th, 2006 at 05:54 AM.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #2
Major Player

No - the reason is that you can see 50p in the viewfinder that comes from the camera-head. Only 25 frames are recorded to tape. It is true progressive, but you can't see it at the viewfinder (which is indeed really too bad...)
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Werner Wesp - Is that a problem native to this particular camera...although saying that there isn't such a huge market of HDV progressive camera's at the moment is there?
Obviously many of you have been using the 24/25p with no problems so is it a case of careful planning of shots?
Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Major Player

It is particular to this camcorder indeed. I have one and most of the time it doesn't constitute a problem - but sometimes it's irritating: e.g. you can't SEE if you're panning at the right speed...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the confirmation Werner. I guess I'm best 'practicing' with the DV 25p until I'm comfortable with the results - then begin to use HDV 25p (true progressive).
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems