Footage from Tallinn, Estonia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 16th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Trustee

Footage from Tallinn, Estonia

Here is a clip taken in Tallinn, Estonia (Eastern Europe) for your enjoyment. All effects were done in camera (blurs etc). Color was adjusted in camera as well so this is raw stuff. The camera resolved dust on the ND filter during the macro zooms but that's life when your shooting docs, Right!? The Doc these shots belong to will be complete in Feb 07 for your viewing pleasure (if you watch PBS).

Tallinn Estonia Old Town wmv .

Enjoy and keep shooting!
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Very beautiful stuff, Stephen. What lens and camera settings did you use?
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #3
Major Player

What tripod did you use?

I don't watch PBS that often but I just put that date on my calendar. I can't wait to see it. I'll tell my dad: "yeah, that was done with my camera"; he is a PBS whore.

Your footage looks great!
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #4
New Boot

Stephen,
What was your primary recipe for the nice colours?
Also was this shot in 720 30p or 24p

Thanks
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That was awesome, a bit shaky sometimes, but very beatiful.
Jordi Dusanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi guys,

Scott, the principal scene file was Panamatch. I used ND2 + 0.6 ND filter and higher shutter speed on the stock 16x lens to get the images where I wanted them (color wise). Steven, it's a 30fps project (no film). Johnathan, the tripod was my ultra light Libec M20. Some shots in that piece were at full zoom like the weather vane and bell tower etc.I'm in the market for a new ultra light tripod since the M20 is a little too light for the HD-100. Jordi, you're right, I'll get around to correcting the nuances later.

The camera does make a beautiful image. Enjoy.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Stephen,

Beautiful! Great latitude and very nice compositions and angles. I am so happy I own one of this cameras.

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes - superb Stephen.
You could worse than try the new (ish) Libec LS38 - perfect for the HD100 and brilliantly made.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Major Player

"higher shutter speeds"

Stephen, yes beautiful looking footage. I notice you used the onbooard ND filter and then added another 2 stops of light reduction and adusted shutter speed. How does manipulation of shutter speeds affect colour?

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Shutter shouldn't affect color at all, it just increases or decreases the raw amount of light that the chips register. If you're using a scene file in which a color will change hue or saturation the brighter or darker it gets, then that's the only way shutter would affect colors.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Hi guys,

Scott, the principal scene file was Panamatch. I used ND2 + 0.6 ND filter and higher shutter speed on the stock 16x lens to get the images where I wanted them (color wise).
Stephan,

Doesn't he mean that he used the higher shutter speed to get less light, in combination to with the ND filters, to get bright, but not washed out colors.

On a side note, in some circumstances, wouldn't a higher shutter speed on video give a "crispness" to the image that would enhance the vibrancy of the colors?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #12
Trustee

Amazingly crisp images Stephen, the front side of the church, toward the end, jumps out of the screen! :)
Old September 18th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #13
Trustee

Stephen,

Very nice footage. Great color saturation.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Doesn't he mean that he used the higher shutter speed to get less light, in combination to with the ND filters, to get bright, but not washed out colors.
ND = Neutral Density, doesn't affect color saturation or hue at all. All that ND and shutter do is cut down light to let you open your iris more and in shutter's case, strobify motion a bit.

Quote:
On a side note, in some circumstances, wouldn't a higher shutter speed on video give a "crispness" to the image that would enhance the vibrancy of the colors?
I'm not sure how the motion characteristic of the video affect color rendition. Might be worthwhile to try it out, but I've never noticed a visible difference in color rendering when I kick in shutter.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
ND = Neutral Density, doesn't affect color saturation or hue at all.
When you have an ND filter on the lens you can open more the iris without overexposing your image.

The more open the iris is the more saturated the colours will be. This is what you learn in the first year of filmschool. :)

So, Neutral Density filters DO affect color saturation. You can try it yourself at home. Lock the camera in position and take the same shot with the iris almost closed and wide open (adjust exposure with ND). When you compare the two takes you will see that the one with the Iris open has obviously more colour saturation.
Miltos Pilalitos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems