New LetusHD100 test video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 17th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New LetusHD100 test video

Hey Everybody !!!
I just finished first part of tests with my JVC HD101E and the LetusHD100. In my opinion it works nice. You can see it at :

http://strony.aster.pl/tomson05/vide...est(H.264).avi (Save target...)

It was Recorded in Poland few days ago and quickly made on PP2.
All shot in SD 480 60P mode(to give great slow-motion look) - I'm still waiting for HD200 and 72060P mode:) CC was done with Boris Continuum 3.0 and my favourite MultiTone Mix effect.
Lenses used : Canon FD 50mm 1:1.4, Canon FD 28mm 1:2
Waitning for your opinion and advice:)

Best Regards.
Tomasz Ostrowski.
Tomasz Ostrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Major Player

The piece has a good "atmospheric feel" to it, nice music helpe ist too. At times though I coldn't see what camera focuses on, what's main subject, in your story at every particular shot, also looks like 28mm lens defeats the purpose of using it, too much things are in focus. Have you shot it at wide open aperture? Regards, Oleg.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Major Player

The video won't play for me in VLC, Quicktime or Windows Media Player.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The video is nice but it's difficult to evaluate the setup and the quality of the LetusHD100.

I am waiting for your next test and i hope it will be 720p!
Miltos Pilalitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
The video won't play for me in VLC, Quicktime or Windows Media Player.
Same for me. It's not a H.264 codec, QT is reporting the codec missinbg but I have it installed.
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

video quality

If anybody had problems to watch my video I recommend new version of VLC media player.
(Opened correctly on few computers with that player on Win XP)
Download page : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
About the quality...
You are right ... the video quality is not so good(it's consider with compression and slow motion which works in SD only so far). In this part I would like to show soft focus and defocus possibilites of Letus. Next video will be 720p.

Last edited by Tomasz Ostrowski; September 18th, 2006 at 04:33 AM.
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #7
Major Player

If you rename the extension to M2T it will play on VLC.
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

fantastic work...
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Ram.. thanks Quyen...
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Huh, I had VLC 0.8.1, upgraded to 0.8.5 and it worked. Hooray.

The look you've got there looks very nice. I'm curious though as to how much of the out of focus material is like that on purpose or how much of it is just accidental, 'cause it looks very cool in the context it's in. Shooting with a still photo lens I'd be concerned about having fine focus control since those lenses aren't really designed to follow someone with focus.

Quote:
At times though I coldn't see what camera focuses on, what's main subject, in your story at every particular shot, also looks like 28mm lens defeats the purpose of using it, too much things are in focus. Have you shot it at wide open aperture? Regards, Oleg.
Are you watching the same video I am? I couldn't see a single shot that didn't have a clear "subject" or didn't have a blurry background or foreground.

As for the 28mm lens comment, I think you've latched onto the "microscopic DOF" trend a bit too hard. While it is a very valid artistic tool, the laws of physics means that blurring the background into unrecognizability with a 28mm lens shooting head-to-toe in daylight is either extremely difficult or impossible, and I personally couldn't see any possible artistic need to blur any backgrounds or foregrounds any more than they already were. The DOF he was shooting with was perfect for isolating the subject of the picture, and that's ALL IT NEEDS TO DO. It's okay if you can still see some detail in the background, because all you're trying to do is divert attention, not completely eliminate detail.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan
The piece has a good "atmospheric feel" to it, nice music helpe ist too. At times though I coldn't see what camera focuses on, what's main subject, in your story at every particular shot, also looks like 28mm lens defeats the purpose of using it, too much things are in focus. Have you shot it at wide open aperture? Regards, Oleg.

Well, it was actually more like a 53mm lens...I believe the Letus has a 1.9x magnification.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #12
Major Player

Nice clip, but lot of overexposed footage... i hope intentionally. Letus does good work. It only seems that FOV is smaller than 35mm lens originally allow.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #13
Major Player

1.9X magnification on letus? You mean it changes the FOV of the prime lens ? Also, Tomasz, could you tell us about the relative ease of use and quality of the letus hd100? Is it built well? Does it take a long time to set up and calibrate?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Kim
1.9X magnification on letus? You mean it changes the FOV of the prime lens ? Also, Tomasz, could you tell us about the relative ease of use and quality of the letus hd100? Is it built well? Does it take a long time to set up and calibrate?

Yes.
A 24mm would be an actual 45 mm, 50mm would be a 95mm etc.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Hmm... that's not good to hear. I guess it's because the adaptor attaches directly to the body of the cam. Can a letus owner confirm this?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems