Tape compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 19th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape compatability

I'm considering buying the GY HD110 for news and doco work I do but have one nagging question ...
Is it true the that tapes shot on the JVC GY HD100 and 110 can't be viewed on a Sony or Panasonic VTR?

If so, I'm out of luck. Sometimes I will need to share my tapes with news organizations immediately after shooting, meaning that the tape might go directly from the camera to a satellite feed station for transmission. If the tape is not compatable with Sony or Panasonic playback machines it won't be practicle for me to buy this camera. Can anyone tell me that facts about question
Thx
geoff
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Major Player

The compatibility that you are talking about is not a tape question, rather a format. If you shoot in DV, anyone can view it regardless of the tape brand. If you shoot in HDV 720, however, then yes, SONY HDV and others will not be able to view it (and the other way around).
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Jak
I'm considering buying the GY HD110 for news and doco work I do but have one nagging question ...
Is it true the that tapes shot on the JVC GY HD100 and 110 can't be viewed on a Sony or Panasonic VTR?

If so, I'm out of luck. Sometimes I will need to share my tapes with news organizations immediately after shooting, meaning that the tape might go directly from the camera to a satellite feed station for transmission. If the tape is not compatable with Sony or Panasonic playback machines it won't be practicle for me to buy this camera. Can anyone tell me that facts about question
Thx
geoff
I think this depends on the actual model of the vtr. Some play and/or most of the formats, including both 1080i and 720p.

It makes sense to me to contact the people you would be selling to and ask them what formats they want and are able to accept.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thx Jiri and Jack

Yes of course you are right- the format, not the tape. To be up to speed is to shoot HDV these days whenever possible, thats why I would buy a HDVcam. For most situations, shooting HDV then downconverting to DV would suffice for a lot of my output which is on SD DVD but news comes into it for sure.

Jack - that would be brilliant if there are VTR's that do play JVC HDV tapes. I doubt that any of the news satfeed outlets here - Jakarta Indonesia have HDV VTR's and when the feed needs to be in a remote location, even less probablity.

To be fair, most times I wouldn't need to rush a story off straight away [for a feed] so I would have time to downconvert to DV. So if I downconvert to DV, will any VTR - including Sony and Pana VTR's be able to read the tape no worries?

And if I want to view the HDV images, how do I convert them to be seen on Sony and Pana formats.
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hate to be a bore but can someone answer this question -
If I record on JVC HD100 and want to make a dub of the footage onto a tape compatible with Sony and Panasonic tape decks, how do i do that?
Thx Geoff
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems