DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   ProHD to DVHS? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/76280-prohd-dvhs.html)

Carlos Rodriguez September 26th, 2006 05:14 PM

ProHD to DVHS?

Is that possible? Getting the ProHD 24p stream onto a DVHS tape? if not through premiere than maybe through the JVC capture/print utility that came with the HD1?

Tim Dashwood September 26th, 2006 06:08 PM

It is an interesting idea because D-VHS also uses MPEG-2 transport streams.

In theory you should be able to simply connect a firewire cable from the HD100 to a HD enabled D-VHS deck. However, the stream bit rates may not be compatible because I think D-VHS uses a 28.2 Mbit/s bitrate and ProHd uses 19.2 Mbit/s.

If you couldn't do direct data transfers, then using a m2t capture and output utility might work.

I don't have access to one of these machines so I can only speculate.

Maybe Ken Freed would be so kind to give us an engineer's point of view?

Carlos Rodriguez September 27th, 2006 11:22 AM

Hmmm....

I'll have to give it a try... I'm just trying to find a work around Premiere Pro 2.0 not enabling HDV24p streams to be printed to tape... I've got the JVC HMDH30000 deck, and I have access to an HD100. I'll have to give it a shot.

Jeff Kellam September 27th, 2006 02:38 PM

I have experimented extensively with my JVC HMDH40000 DVHS the last few weeks recording H1 and HD100 clips to it to evaluate the cameras on my HD monitor.

I usually use the JVC utility that came with my GR HD1 camera to export or preview. The print to tape from Vegas also provides a stream.

I have found the DVHS will record almost any stream fed to it. That is good and bad. For some reason, when streaming raw m2t in 1080 24P format (H1 clips), the HD monitor connected to the DVHS has excellent picture output, but when played back from the DVHS tape directly, there is a 3/2 flag or something missing and the picture is jerky like its missing the 2 frames or something.

HD100 playback is always beautiful.

Carlos Rodriguez September 27th, 2006 03:44 PM

there it is....

saved me some work! :-)

Carlos Rodriguez September 27th, 2006 03:51 PM

just to be sure though...

what hdv modes were you transferring to DVHS, Jeff?

thanks.

Jeff Kellam September 27th, 2006 04:15 PM

Carlos:

I will have to look at the clips in Vegas to see what they are. The H1 & HD100 do provide several modes I guess.

Im kinda partial to the 30P look, having used it for so long.

Like I was saying though, anything will transfer to DVHS, it just may not play back properly on DVHS (to a monitor) without a render to NTSC.

Carlos Rodriguez September 27th, 2006 04:23 PM

good deal, thanks for the info and quick response.

Michael Maier September 28th, 2006 04:04 AM

Veyr interesting idea. I wonder if it could finally be a way to have Masters that are longer than 1 hour without going the more expensive route of HDCAM. Does DVHS record the full resolution?

Carl Hicks September 28th, 2006 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Veyr interesting idea. I wonder if it could finally be a way to have Masters that are longer than 1 hour without going the more expensive route of HDCAM. Does DVHS record the full resolution?

Michael,

The DVHS format will record a little over 28 MBit/Sec., so yes, it's more than enough for HDV. It's a very low cost way to archive HDV projects. You can get over 3 hours on a tape. Since it digitally records the MPEG-2 transport stream, there is no quality loss from your master.

Regards, Carl

Mark Silva September 28th, 2006 09:53 AM

If I'm not mistaken, D-VHS is typically a 14.1 mbps constant bit rate.

wow 3 hours at 28mbps thats really good!

Carl Hicks September 28th, 2006 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Silva
If I'm not mistaken, D-VHS is typically a 14.1 mbps constant bit rate.

wow 3 hours at 28mbps thats really good!

Mark,

The 14.1 mbps rate is for SD. The HD recordings are done at 28.2 mbps.

With a DF-420 tape, you can get 210 minutes of 28.2 mbps HD recording. This is a very cost-effective way to archive HDV projects, or to make back-ups of your HDV field footage. You could also live record to DVHS from your HDV camera's firewire port, thus being able to make two digital copies on tape of your shots as they happen.

See this website: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/t...&itempath=null

Keep in mind that the HD recording is ONLY done via the firewire input with a MPEG-2 Transport stream. You cannot feed analog HD into this VCR.

Regards,

Carl

Jeff Kellam September 28th, 2006 12:09 PM

Too bad the WVHS is out of production. It was a great product for analog HD recording.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks

..... You cannot feed analog HD into this VCR.

Regards,

Carl

Earl Thurston September 28th, 2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
You cannot feed analog HD into this VCR.

You bring up an interesting point, Carl. There are actually very, very few devices that will record HD analog component signals. Why is that?

Stephan Ahonen September 28th, 2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
You bring up an interesting point, Carl. There are actually very, very few devices that will record HD analog component signals. Why is that?

Because analog component is how a lot of cable boxes and video players hook up to TVs, therefore the only reason you would ever want to record analog component was if you were recording programming and releasing it to millions over the internet, you nasty pirate scum.</cynicism>