Problems with HDV but not DV capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Problems with HDV but not DV capture

I was anxious to try some 24P capture with the update in FCP, but now I can't get the system to see the camera in HDV mode. It will see DV through the firewire but won't see HDV at all.

If it sees DV then the firewire is working correctly, right? Anyone dealt with this?

Camera in VTR mode, switch to HDV.

Thanks.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

do you get a message on the LCD when playing in VTR mode?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Major Player

No, I see no messages on the LCD.
Old September 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Close the project and open a new one. Pick the HDV set-up for 720p24. Make sure the timeline is in HDV. Now try the HDV capture. Switching from DV to HDV mid project can cause some confusion to Final Cut. I had the same problem about two weeks ago.
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Major Player

I've tried starting everything from scratch several times in every combo I can think of in HDV modes 30P and 24P. I've even switched cables. It's not showing up in HDVxDV either but I can shut down and come right back up in DV in FCP after reseting switches and projects.

Is there a different firewire circuit that can fry between DV and HDV?

This is the first time I've tried digitizing on a new Intel box which also happens to be using the new FCP update too.

All ideas welcome.
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Shultz
I've tried starting everything from scratch several times in every combo I can think of in HDV modes 30P and 24P. I've even switched cables. It's not showing up in HDVxDV either but I can shut down and come right back up in DV in FCP after reseting switches and projects.

This is the first time I've tried digitizing on a new Intel box which also happens to be using the new FCP update too.

All ideas welcome.
What is the output setting in the HD-100 menu? Do you have it set to "Auto"?
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #7
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Shultz

All ideas welcome.

Hi Warren,

There are two firewire circuits: One for DV, and one for HDV. It is possible to blow one circuit without blowing the other. It sounds like this might be the case with your camera. You will probably need to send your camera into one of the JVC Pro service centers for check-out and/or repair. Go to this website for U.S. based JVC Pro Factory service centers.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/index.jsp

As a reminder to all, here are some actions that can cause a blown firewire circuit, and how to prevent it:

1. Plugging in or unplugging a firewire cable to a computer and/or a camera or deck while power is on, on either unit. Instead, have computer and camera/deck power off before plugging or unplugging firewire cables.

2. Attempting to plug in the firewire connector backwards with power on - even if pushed in just a little. Double-check that you have the connector turned the right way before plugging it in.

3. Flipping the DV/HDV switch on the deck or camera with power on. Instead, power the computer and deck/camera down before changing the switch.

Regards, Carl
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Carl, I'm afraid you're right and I've blown the one.

^%$#!
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems