Support enough for the JVC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 27th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Support enough for the JVC

This is on special, is this good enough for the JVC

http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/article.cfm?id=10750

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Major Player

I use this tripod w/ my HD-100 and it works fine. It doesn't provide the smoothest pans/tilts but for $250 it is a great deal for something that actually works.

Most real tripods are over $1,000.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

exactly, I'm not looking professional, just something to start with. The head is fluid right?
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
exactly, I'm not looking professional, just something to start with. The head is fluid right?
According to the links you provided, yes, it's a fluid head.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well i decided to order that and the quick release plate along with it hoping it'll suit the JVC
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #6
Trustee

I use this tripod too. It's a left over from my XL1 days. Not that it was ever great for the camera either. It does the job. As my bulk of work doesn't call for a lot of pans and tilt I never really bothered in buying a better tripod. But I am thinking more and more as of lately. It's not really a real fluid head by the way. It's what they call a "fluid effect".
I have been thinking of starting a thread asking what set of sticks people are using with the camera. Maybe people could post what they are using here on this thread? So we don't have to start a new thread for that.
So what are you guys using?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Videomaker says its fluid, bhphoto also marks it's title as fluid. If it wasn't it would specify "fluid effect". Am I wrong?
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #8
Trustee

Well, as I said I have it and have been using it for the last 5 years or so. It's strong and very sturdy, apart from the plastic lever that locks it down. Maybe they changed the lever on newer units and maybe they made it into a real fluid head.
I bought mine from B&H as well and it was listed as fluid head too.But real fluid head it ain't! Not mine.
But the important thing is you to be happy with it. You may find it's enough for the work you do.
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

My goal is i would like to pull off a tilt(not so much pan) with somewhat resistance, if theres a jerk to start with so be it, but if there's an inconsistency in moving, then no. Do you experience this?
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #10
Trustee

Jerking on starting you can count on, unless you really train on it. During movement it's pretty doable though. The only resistance you have is how much you tight the locking lever. No springs or balance or anything. Pretty crude tripod really.
You know how the old saying goes, “ You get what…
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

precisely. I've decided to go with the 7518, 50 cheaper, but I have no need for a pedestal type tripod. The 7518 has a 75mm ball, I'm assuming the cartoni Action Pro head could easily replace this head? I'm not a tripod expert so if anyone, please educate an idiot.

http://www.tiffen.com/userimages/Provista7518.pdf
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #12
Trustee

The Provista 7518 is what I have. Wasn't that what you were talking about? That B&H link looks to be the same 7518. Anyways, good luck with your purchase.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:13 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
Well i decided to order that and the quick release plate along with it hoping it'll suit the JVC
It comes with a quick release plate, you shouldn't need a seperate one, unless you are getting that huge JVC mounting plate.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems