Capturing 720p from HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing 720p from HD100

All right, this is probably a dumb question, but I need to know fast.

I'm shooting a film in about two weeks. I've had an overwhelming response from individuals who want to DP the shoot. Now, I've got it down to two cameras. The XL2 or the HD100.

Either way, I want 24p 16:9. The question is whether I should go HD or not. The problem is . . . I'm not sure if I'm capable of editing HD. I'll be editing this at school if I go HD--and their setup includes a Powermac G5, standard MiniDV deck, monitor, etc etc. The question is, would I even be able to capture the footage from the tape? Meaning, if shooting with an HDV camera, will a standard MiniDV deck recognize it? Or is it similar to 24p, where its mainly a software issue? I don't want to shoot with the HD100 then be stuck without a way to capture it in final cut pro. Otherwise I'll just go with the XL2.

Thanks!
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Overstreet
All right, this is probably a dumb question, but I need to know fast.

I'm shooting a film in about two weeks. I've had an overwhelming response from individuals who want to DP the shoot. Now, I've got it down to two cameras. The XL2 or the HD100.

Either way, I want 24p 16:9. The question is whether I should go HD or not. The problem is . . . I'm not sure if I'm capable of editing HD. I'll be editing this at school if I go HD--and their setup includes a Powermac G5, standard MiniDV deck, monitor, etc etc. The question is, would I even be able to capture the footage from the tape? Meaning, if shooting with an HDV camera, will a standard MiniDV deck recognize it? Or is it similar to 24p, where its mainly a software issue? I don't want to shoot with the HD100 then be stuck without a way to capture it in final cut pro. Otherwise I'll just go with the XL2.

Thanks!
Of course go with the HD-100. The reason? Because it will shoot both HD and SD 16x9. Perform some test with the HD signal and your current workflow. If it's not workable then just switch the HD-100 into SD mode and use your usual DV workflow.

S.Noe
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Trustee

To capture the HDV footage from the HD100 you do need a player that can play the ProHD tape with the HDV on it. However, this can be the camera, so you can make a deal with your DP to capture the footage for you onto an external hard drive.

As Stephen points out, the 16:9 native frame of the HD100, whether in HDV or DV is very, very disireable. The HD100 does record a better DV than DV only prosumer cameras.

Whether or not your editing system will do HDV... you have to find out. However, one point is that the JVC 720 HDV will edit on most of the same machines that edit DV and do it just as easily. You don't need the extra computer power required by 1080. When you slay "at school" I'm not sure what you mean... but if it is a college film school, I would think HDV editing would be available... but again, this is something that has to ber looked into -- a good habit, by the way to get into... most mind-numbing and insurmountable problems come up because answers to simple questions weren't gotten in the planning stage and too much was assumed or it was just figured, "We'll work that out when we get to it."

There will be enough surprises anyway that it is well worth the little effort to find out the info you need that you already know you will need.

Also, as important as the camera is, the quality of the sound is extremely important. If you are recording live sound, be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing do that.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, sound is a huge priority for me. I have a dedicated sound person coming down with his equipment to do the recording. This isn't my first short or anything, but it will be my first HD short if I go with the HD100.

Matt
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Trustee

Of the two cameras I think the HD100 has some advantages:

1. Standard DV, as well as true progressive SD at 60p, 30, 24p. (The standard DV will play on any DV player/camera... however, the progressive versions of SD need a player/camera that plays the JVC format.)
1a. True progressive HDV at 24p and 30p.
2. 50p SD that can be uprezzed to HDV and put in as slo-mo on a 24p timeline.
3. Easier editing with the 720 HDV over 1080.
4. Scene files done by others that can give a great picture (can be used as is or as a starting point for your own).

The decision might also depend on the skill and experience of the DP/operator for the camera you choose.

The kind of short and the kind of scenes/shots you need might also play a role. the HD100 is a true shoulder mount with manual focus. The XL2 has autofocus and a steadyshot function.

Either one can do an excellent job...
Two major considerations are editing workflow and operator's experience/knowledge/skill.

As Stephen said, the HD100 has both HDV and SD, as well as 60p SD in HDV mode (and 50p SD that uprezzes well to HDV for slow-motion)... + what I said, easy-on-the-hardware HDV editing and ready-made scene files for a starting point. If DOP/operator knows what she's doing, the choice for me is the HD100 -- and for these and other reasons I bought the HD110. And... if your guy has the wide-angle lens, that's the end of the discussion.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems