DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Anyone using the Matrox MXO (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/76652-anyone-using-matrox-mxo.html)

Paul Larche October 2nd, 2006 07:54 PM

Anyone using the Matrox MXO

Putting together a new Mac setup with FCP. Does anyone have any experience with using the MXO for output of HD100 HDC footage? Will is work with 24p?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Stephen L. Noe October 5th, 2006 03:25 PM

No takers on Matrox? Seems like the MXO would be ideal for the analog component out from the ProHD camera/deck to the comp-in to the MXO's break out box on into FCP. Also a nice DVI out to HDTV and SDI out to monitor.

Seems like a good B.O.B. solution

Tim Dashwood October 5th, 2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
No takers on Matrox? Seems like the MXO would be ideal for the analog component out from the ProHD camera/deck to the comp-in to the MXO's break out box on into FCP. Also a nice DVI out to HDTV and SDI out to monitor.

The MXO CANNOT accept video input other than from the DVI. It is not a capture card.
It essentially converts a DVI signal into a HD compliant SDI or component video signal.
I've never used an MXO, and IMO I would shy away from such a device unless it was considerably cheaper than a Kona or Decklink card.
It's ideal use would be to record powerpoint or software tutorials to a broadcast tape format.

If the intent is for video output of FCP, then the problem with capturing the output off of the graphics card is that all real time render and gamma are software or processor controlled. I could see this causing some real headaches with setting the proper monitor dimensions, as well as controlling dropped frames.
Matrox claims that their hardware handles Dynamic RT and DVCPROHD and HDV acceleration, but I don't understand how that would be possible with only a DVI connection? Their claims may only apply to HD-SD downconversion.
http://matrox.com/video/products/mxo/

If you are planning to output to a professional deck, you might as well invest in the ability to capture uncompressed from the same pro deck.
IMO, the realtime capabilities and input/output reliability of a card such as the Decklink Extreme or Kona LH offer the best bang for your buck.

Also, you would need a separate RS-422 deck controller for the MXO, which happen to be included on both Decklink and Kona.

Stephen L. Noe October 5th, 2006 04:32 PM

I did not know that it's only an output device. Good to know.

@Paul, Was the MXO a means of video out for you?

Paul Larche October 5th, 2006 07:00 PM

Anyone using the MXO

Thanks for the response Stephen and Tim.
I was looking at a means of outputting - as well as monitoring on an LCD monitor. I've done a bit of research, and I believe the best bang for the buck would be the BM Decklink Extreme along with a BM HDLink for monitoring.

Rob Stiff October 7th, 2006 01:00 PM

Mxo - Bought It, Gave It A Chance & Returned It!

The MXO: The first time I bought something video related
and returned it.

MXO support in Canada confirmed that their MXO will not
play back smooth in FCP multi-cam mode; poor Multi-Cam mode playback.

You also cannot use Apple's 30 inch montior with the MXO
as an output monitor; not mentioned on Matrox's site.

Still had alot of bugs with the updated firmware and updated
FCP causing it to crash FCP more than enough times.

Advice: If you are using a G5 tower or MacPro tower:
You are better off upgrading your video card to have dual-link
support for best performance of a second monitor & and use
the external monitor option in FCP.

I hope this helps...

Nate Weaver October 7th, 2006 01:21 PM

For the money, if you're using a G5, I'd think a Decklink card is the way to go.

John Dentino October 25th, 2006 04:40 PM

MXO does what it does

The MXO is for people who have an iMac, a Mac laptop, or, I guess, anything with DVI outputs and no PCI slots. I like mine just fine. It allows me to view high def footage as it would appear on an HDTV monitor. It turns most LCD monitors into HDTV broadcast monitors for accurate color correction. The reason it doesn't support the 30" Apple monitor is because that monitor uses a dual-DVI input. The MXO also smooths out the "mice teeth" in interlaced footage. If you shoot with a Sony Z1, for instance, your progressive display looks awful straight from the computer's DVI out. The MXO is vital for you because it processes the interlace fields for viewing on non-interlace progressive monitors. If you have a tower and PCI slots, you can go ahead and get a card that may (or may not) do what the MXO does for output. Of course, an MXO isn't designed for input or capture. But—if you just wanna edit HD (especially interlaced HDV) and view it with an iMac or notebook—or downconvert to SD on the fly—the MXO is what you need. Matrox is responsive to people who've found bugs and have come out with software/firmware updates.

Daniel Patton October 25th, 2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Larche
Thanks for the response Stephen and Tim.
I was looking at a means of outputting - as well as monitoring on an LCD monitor. I've done a bit of research, and I believe the best bang for the buck would be the BM Decklink Extreme along with a BM HDLink for monitoring.

Was wondering...
Not sure why you would go the route of the BM Extreme $2500 over the Pro $1700. The Extreme would make sense if you need the 2 extra audio channels in and out (total 4 compared to the Pro's 2) and it has DVI monitoring but... if you are capturing to the Decklink via component from the likes of the HD100, then why not monitor from the BM Pro's component out (that's what we have been doing) and save the extra cash?

Chris Gorman January 30th, 2007 09:16 PM

mxo, acd, z1 footage,fcp

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dentino
. . . The MXO also smooths out the "mice teeth" in interlaced footage. If you shoot with a Sony Z1, for instance, your progressive display looks awful straight from the computer's DVI out. The MXO is vital for you because it processes the interlace fields for viewing on non-interlace progressive monitors. If you have a tower and PCI slots, you can go ahead and get a card that may (or may not) do what the MXO does for output.

I find your above comments interesting as I try to make a purchase decision without the benefit of doing any hands on testing to evaluate some contradictory info. I want the cheapest but best way to monitor hdv realtime from my Final Cut Pro Timeline duriing editing. I have pci-x slots so could go with a card, but the only output to tape I'll need is making and hdv archive of the hdv edited project - don't think I need a card for that.

However, a friend insists that he can view hdv with no problem using dvi out from a G5 (no card) direct to his 23" ACD viewing Z1 footage. He claims not to be seeing interlacing problems- is this impossible? I wonder if this is because the view option in fcp is set for Apple Cinema Desktop.

What happens if I just play through the MXO to my old SD NTSC 4:3 production monitor to assess color and motion in the video, knowing I won't see full screen 1:1 pixel resolution. Can you shed any light on this?

Steve Oakley January 30th, 2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Gorman
However, a friend insists that he can view hdv with no problem using dvi out from a G5 (no card) direct to his 23" ACD viewing Z1 footage. He claims not to be seeing interlacing problems- is this impossible? I wonder if this is because the view option in fcp is set for Apple Cinema Desktop.

What happens if I just play through the MXO to my old SD NTSC 4:3 production monitor to assess color and motion in the video, knowing I won't see full screen 1:1 pixel resolution. Can you shed any light on this?

the MXO is a very good downconverter for HD->SD in your choice of 16:9 native, letter box, or centercut 4:3. it also plays nice the FW audio interfaces too - if you mix 5.1 you know why this is important. MXO was really designed for people who either need output only, or capture via FW and don't need addutional video IO. also great for laptop use.

Steve Oaklet

John Dentino January 30th, 2007 11:57 PM

"However, a friend insists that he can view hdv with no problem using dvi out from a G5 (no card) direct to his 23" ACD viewing Z1 footage. He claims not to be seeing interlacing problems- is this impossible? I wonder if this is because the view option in fcp is set for Apple Cinema Desktop."

Your friend must not be looking very carefully at that LCD monitor. Anything NTSC and interlaced will have jagged edges when viewed on a progressive computer monitor. Granted, you have to look closer because there are more (and smaller) lines of resolution in HDV. But the mice teeth are there. Ask him what SD looks like on that LCD monitor. It should look very jagged.

"What happens if I just play through the MXO to my old SD NTSC 4:3 production monitor to assess color and motion in the video, knowing I won't see full screen 1:1 pixel resolution. Can you shed any light on this?"

I assume you're talking about interlaced footage from the Z1. The MXO down-converts HD on the fly to an SD analog signal (S-Video out or Y'PbPr) and will letterbox it to 16:9. The color looks great on my Sony studio monitor, which is supposed to be accurate. The MXO has its own preference pane in System Preferences. I calibrated the 23" Cinema Display, then connected the Sony SD monitor and the colors were the same.