DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Wide angle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/76781-wide-angle.html)

Paul Jefferies October 4th, 2006 05:35 AM

Wide angle

Hi,
I can't afford the full replacement wide angle lens, so I'm looking for suggestions as to what is the best/cheapest way to get a wider angle on the JVC? Are we talking some kind of cheap mini 35 adaptor and 35mm stills lens, or is there any decent wide angle adaptors for the stock lens? (the JVC adaptor does not seem very wide in my opinion),
Thanks
Paul J

Antony Michael Wilson October 4th, 2006 05:46 AM

I've not seen a wide angle adaptor that makes any sense in terms of performance/quality. I think it would be great if one of the rental outfits in the UK started to supply the 13x lens. I spoke to a couple a while ago and they said they just didn't think there was a market out there for it. Does anyone in the UK know if there is actually someone offering the lens for hire now?

Gareth Watkins October 4th, 2006 06:03 AM

Hi Paul

As a cheap alternative check out:
http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Wide_Angle_Lens.htm

I believe JVC does a wide screw on adapter too.

Cheers
Gareth

Adam Oas October 4th, 2006 10:25 AM

I have the JVC .82 WA screw on adapter and it's saved a number of shots for me allready where it simply wouldn't have worked without.

You can get the wider stuff as well, but as it's not zoom thru I had to rule them out. Especially with how touchy this camera is for focusing. If I couldn't zoom in and get a good focus (even with the focus assist) i'd be in trouble for sure.

it's definately not as wide as I'd like it to be, but it's sure better than stock!

Ram Ganesh October 5th, 2006 04:06 PM

whats non-zoom thru?

If the idea is to get a wideshot, why zoom? that narrows the field of view..right?

Tim Dashwood October 5th, 2006 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
whats non-zoom thru?

If the idea is to get a wideshot, why zoom? that narrows the field of view..right?

If you do need to zoom in for a tighter show and you are using a non-zoom-thru wide adapter, then it will need to be removed.
This can become quite an inconvenience in documentary work, and therefore a zoom-thru adapter is much more desirable.

Jon Jaschob October 5th, 2006 07:21 PM

While the JVC adapter isn't really wide, it's pretty wide, all thing$ considered, I'm glad I got it, I use it quite a bit.

Council Bradshaw October 5th, 2006 07:34 PM

lens vs. adapter

I have the screw on adapter and it comes in handy on more occassions than I thought it would. If I'm doing some run & gun shooting I leave it on for the whole day. My mattebox even fits over it. However I have a shot coming up that I don't think the wide angle adapter can handle. Now I'm in search of the 13X lens for rental. Any suggestions? I'm in the US.... North Carolina. I don't mind getting it shipped in, I do it all the time. None of my sources have the 13X lens for JVC HD-100 though.

Adam Oas October 6th, 2006 08:21 AM

Are you sure of that? I was under the impression that you would be able to use the lens at any zoom setting, but that it would change the focus point so any moves of zoom would require a refocus. I could be completely off on that tho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
If you do need to zoom in for a tighter show and you are using a non-zoom-thru wide adapter, then it will need to be removed.
This can become quite an inconvenience in documentary work, and therefore a zoom-thru adapter is much more desirable.

Marc Colemont October 6th, 2006 08:50 AM

I just did a job with 2 HD100's. One with and one without the Wide angle lens.
It turned out during shooting that the wide angle lens could not be used to zoom all the way. It was not possible to get it sharp fully zoomed in.
I checked the back focus, which wasn't the problem.

Andrew Young October 6th, 2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Council Bradshaw
I have the screw on adapter and it comes in handy on more occassions than I thought it would. If I'm doing some run & gun shooting I leave it on for the whole day. My mattebox even fits over it. However I have a shot coming up that I don't think the wide angle adapter can handle. Now I'm in search of the 13X lens for rental. Any suggestions? I'm in the US.... North Carolina. I don't mind getting it shipped in, I do it all the time. None of my sources have the 13X lens for JVC HD-100 though.

Abel Cine Tech in New York has a 13x for rental. They're great guys too! 888-223-1599.

Ram Ganesh October 6th, 2006 10:14 PM

daily rate $450...ouch

http://www.abelcine.com/store/produc...cat=613&page=1

Andrew Young October 7th, 2006 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
daily rate $450...ouch

Hi Ram,
That's not the same lens - it's probably a 2/3". The 13x in question is a 3.5, not a 4.5. I have rented it from them and paid a lot less (unfortunately I don't remember what).

Daniel Patton October 7th, 2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
I just did a job with 2 HD100's. One with and one without the Wide angle lens.
It turned out during shooting that the wide angle lens could not be used to zoom all the way. It was not possible to get it sharp fully zoomed in.
I checked the back focus, which wasn't the problem.

We also use the JVC .82 WA adapter and it has always looked pretty good at the telephoto end. Maybe not as perfectly sharp, but fair enough for the intended use of a wide angle adapter. I have seen things go south when I have the adapter plus filters stacked up with the matte box, but in that case it was just too much glass and expected.